Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Greinke=Cy Young, Bills fire Jauron, etc.

Greetings all...lots to get to...
  • Zach Greinke wins the AL Cy Young...in a landslide... I'm actually glad of this result...it's not a Most Valuable Pitcher award... it's a "best" pitcher award..and that's what Greinke was... 16-8, MLB leading 2.16 ERA, 242 K's... Those numbers can't be hated on...and the 8 losses are simply a product of a ridiculous lineup behind him
  • Monday Night Football set the game back a decade last night... laughter... The Browns are an appalling franchise from a talent standpoint... Mangini may not finish the year...that's jarring... and the Josh Cribbs playcall near the end (a hook and ladder down 16?) may cost him games...and he's their only explosive option on offense/special teams...good work guys
  • I'm not going to comment on Belichick's play call...you've heard enough if you have a TV or a radio...
  • Dick Jauron out in Buffalo... Not the way I wanted to mention the Bills (sorry Bernie)...but I can't say I disagree...he was on the hot seat and with the way his team quit in the 4th quarter this week, the writing was on the wall...at the same time, I won't put it all on Jauron...the TO gamble isn't his fault... and neither is the fact that their QB situation is pathetic with Edwards/Fitzpatrick...
  • One team has expressed interest in Allen Iverson.... doesn't it HAVE to be the Knicks?!? Of course it is!
  • 24 hours of basketball on ESPN started out with a bang...UCLA went down to Cal State Fullerton...and you shouldn't have been surprised...although I'm sure you were.... the Bruins will be way down this year...you can't help it when you lose REPEATED first-rounders lately (Love, Westbrook, Collison, Holiday), and big-time college producers (Hollins, Luc Richard, Shipp, Aboye)... It could be ugly early for them
  • Very good double-header to get the world interested in CBB tonight... Gonzaga/Michigan State at 8:00 is the better game despite the less interesting names... Gonzaga is always a threat and MSU is quietly #2 in the nation preseason and returning oodles of talent... Kansas/Memphis at 10:00 is really a Jayhawk showcase (their talent is limitless), and an opportunity to see what the new Memphis regime looks like
  • Okay this is getting ridiculous.... 3 separate people have the Atlanta Hawks #1 in their power rankings... I can brush off the first 2 (Marc Stein and NBA.com)... but John Hollinger too!? For those unfamiliar with his work...he's a stat-based freak of an analyst who puts together PER (player efficiency rating for each player), and is generally regarded as an innovator... For him to arrive at the Hawks as #1 is startling.... Look, I said before the year they'd be better...and they are...I think they'll win 50-52 games...but slow down everybody.... Josh Smith has been very good...I won't dispute it as a known Smith detractor...he's the key...if he plays like this, they can win 55+ games...do I trust that? Absolutely, unequivocally....no...no....no....
  • Speaking of power rankings... I hear you clamoring for them.... Okay, no I don't....the new installment will be out soon....
  • By the way...it's Michigan/Ohio State week... you know where my head is... you know where my heart is...and I think we have a shot, b/c the matchup is a reasonable one (OSU's strength is defense, Michigan's is offense, Michigan has the special teams edge....somehow)... I'll break it down more by the weekend if I get motivated...

More later....

No comments: