Tuesday, December 30, 2008
YTD (Entering): 52-56-3
- Philly -3 over Minnesota....let's just say I was praying Minnesota got into the playoffs so I could pick against Tarvaris Jackson....
And thats it....nothing else jumps out at me in Round 1....
To the playoff picture! First the wild card round....
- Atlanta over Arizona....I've agonized over this one....Arizona's big, physical receivers present a matchup problem...but I'll take the team that runs the ball better, takes care of the ball better, and defends the run better....Good luck to Mr. Ryan...
- Indy over SD....another game I have no idea about....I was yearning at the opportunity to imaginary wager against Denver in this game (Indy owns them)....but San Diego, and more importantly, LDT looked very good Sunday night....that said, I still like Indy who has somehow won 9 straight games and no one is mentioning that
- Miami over Baltimore....call me crazy, I'll take the team who's quarterback REFUSES to make mistakes....lol
- Philly over Minnesota....mostly because of Tarvaris....but Philly always plays much better when their back is against the wall, and are the more seasoned team....
Quick predictions after this....
- Atlanta over Carolina in Carolina.....call me crazy, I don't trust Jake Delhomme....
- New York over Philly.....bad conditions, they can contain Westbrook and force Donovan to try and beat them....don't think he will
- Pittsburgh over Miami....Ben should be back and ready to play....Never trust Miami in the cold and Roethlisberger is made for this type of game
- Indy over Tennessee.....I can't make myself wager on Kerry Collins in game against Peyton Manning....I just can't force myself to...and Tennessee has looked pedestrian for about a month
- New York over Atlanta....and the dream...is....over. lol Can't see this team going into the meadowlands and winning....sorry everyone....Too much talent defensively for New York and Eli's battle tested
- Indy over Pittsburgh....I've struggled with this game over and over....probably more than any other....it'll change before then probably (lol) but I like Indy....they are just playing too well, and Peyton is just not letting them lose....plus, Pittsburgh can't run the ball this year....didn't notice? Well, that's how you beat Indy....and they can't do it....hmmmmm
- For now....I like New York because they can pound it down Indy's throat in the run game and get pressure on Peyton....and omg....I just noticed this is the Manning super bowl....and didn't take that into account....Welp, at least now I have to actively root against myself....
Monday, December 29, 2008
- Cleveland +11 @ Pittsburgh.....Well I figured Pittsburgh would pull the starters, I just thought it may actually matter.....loser!
- Tenn -3 @ Indy....yikes...loser!
- Houston -3 over Chicago....winner!
- New Orleans +1.5 over Carolina....Loser by a half point!
- Denver +9 over SD....haha....loser
Back to normal....1-4, 52-56-3
- Was anything more amusing to the average fan that Dallas getting absolutely blasted in a must-win game? I say no....No POSSIBLE way Wade Phillips should keep his job....BUT I blame the GM....who's that you say? Oh yea....the owner Jerry Jones
- Mangini and Marinelli fired for the Jets and Lions respectively....the first one mildly surprises me....I blame Favre (and thus, the GM) more for the Jets demise than I do Mangini....anyone who saw Brett yesterday should agree, he was atrocious and is likely the biggest joke of a Pro Bowl selection I've ever witnessed (he's in ahead of rivers!!!!)....Marinelli...well, you know what happened
- The Lions went 0-16....should be a bigger story....historically bad is just a big deal as historically good....or at least close, especially in a cap-driven league
- To the AFC playoff picture....San Diego wins the division at 8-8 (by POUNDING a Denver team that looked awful on defense and would have had any other coach but Shanahan canned this morning)....while New England goes 11-5 and misses the playoffs.....a 3-game difference....something is amiss here....
- I need more people calling for Gruden's head in Tampa....4 straight losses coming to head by a HOME loss to Oakland with the playoffs on the line? Yikes
- Oh yea, Romeo Crennel got fired....Phil Savage too....I almost forgot since everyone in the free world knew that was happening the monday after the season for about 6 weeks now
- Up and down day for Falcons fans....If only 3 defenders could knock the ball down on Steve Smith....lol....That said, great year regardless of playoff finish, 11-5? Seriously? Amazing....
- Speaking of the Saints....Drew Brees threw his worst pass of the day to Lance Moore that would've broken the record....it's almost like he didn't wanna get it that way....In fact, I'm going to say that on record....I think he threw that into the ground on purpose....or at least sub-consciously....and if he did, I applaud him....
- please, Please, PLEASE let the Mets trade for Andruw Jones....I beg you
- Andre Smith....consensus top 3 NFL draft pick this year and nation's best player (IMO) suspended for the Sugar Bowl....it's a shame it won't matter since they are playing Utah in the SEC hotbed of New Orleans...that said, the betting line DIDN'T MOVE....how is that possible? He's the best player on the team....lol
- Yikes....the Falcons are favored on the road with a rookie QB in the playoffs...I don't care if it is Matt Ryan....
All I got for now....Full NFL playoff preview to come before Saturday, and the usual stuff sprinkled in
Sunday, December 28, 2008
YTD (Entering): 51-52-3 (pending college football picks that I will wrap after the bowls)
- Cleveland +11 @ Pittsburgh....Pittsburgh isn't playing for anything....and yet it still pains me to take 11 points, yikes
- Tennessee -3 @ Indy.....Neither is playing for anything....but I'll take the Titans running game over the Jim Sorgi led Colts attack any day
- Houston -3 over Chicago.....I love Houston at home usually....and Chicago lays the proverbial egg here
- New Orleans +1.5 over Carolina.....Call it a hunch....I think Brees goes off....might even get the record
- Denver +9 over San Diego.....really? A 7-8 team is laying 9 points to an 8-7 team?
Okay thats good enough....
- Quickly, I like Atlanta, New England, Green Bay, Minnesota, New Orleans, Dallas, NYJ, and San Diego in the relevant (somewhat, at least) games.....
- I will likely NEVER blog on the UFC....don't ask me to.....I don't care for it....I never will.....settled? Okay then
Enjoy the final full week of NFL action everyone
Thursday, December 25, 2008
- Arm health may retire Brett Favre.....well he's done anyway if you ask me...he's been openly dreadful for about 2 months now....and somehow he's in the pro bowl over Philip Rivers....shows how irrelevant that game is
- Mike Singletary gets offered to stay on in San Fran....got a feeling this ends badly....
- Orlando is currently laying the wood to New Orleans by thirty(?) at halftime....interesting....good to see the Hornets showed up today....lol
- Notre Dame won a bowl game! Granted it was against an overmatched Hawaii team but hey...let's get fired up about a team that went 7-6 and never beat a quality opponent.....hurray Clausen hurray Weis!
- I was going over some stats last night....and realized Dwyane Wade.....while obviously leading the league in points (over Lebron btw) is also in the top 15 in the league in blocks....at 6'4.....and he somehow averages a .5 block more than Lebron who is 6'8 250 and an athletic freak....and he averages more assists....on a team with no point guard or servicable post presence.....and Lebron is the knock-down MVP choice? Eh....I'm going to need more discussion
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
- Shaun Ellis fined 10K for throwing snow back at Seattle fans....I don't like this....snow isn't hurting anyone....and the fans loved it....and they did it first....
- Eddy Curry is....back! lol sorry, I know no one cares
- Come on Celtics....please win tonight so the Christmas game means even more.....it'll be the biggest regular season game since Kobe-Shaq I anyway....but still
- And finally.....the NFL found it necessary to make a special announcement to say Ed Hochuli isn't working the Chargers-Broncos game......word? What were they gonna do? Put him there?....Just stop it....
Monday, December 22, 2008
YTD (Entering): 47-52-3
- Miami -3.5 over KC....Winner!
- NE -8 over Arizona....Winner!
- Seattle +4 over NYJ.....winner!
- Falcons +3.5 over minny.....Winner!!
Wow...4-0...weird.....51-52-3 looks a little better
- Okay....somebody wake me up.....The Falcons are in the playoffs....and, with a win and a Carolina loss this week, could get a first round bye!?!? What universe am I in? That said....they didn't really play that well yesterday, my boy Tarvaris Jackson helped out quite a bit
- Detroit is 0-15....and they aren't getting to 0-16 in Green Bay....pack it in....go home
- I can't remember a team that has ever looked worse in winning a division.....now 8-7 and completely out of sync....Arizona got pounded 47-7 in New England....but who didn't see that coming? This is more of an indictment on the division than anything else because the Cardinals have too many flaws to be taken seriously
- Tampa loses their 3rd straight and now must rely on Dallas losing in Week 17....A pretty significant collapse by them and their style has caught up to them a bit with the total inability to create consistent offense
- The Giants put away homefield throughout with their win vs. Carolina....Derrick Ward....15 carries, 215 yards....that's not a typo.....what a game from him to complement Jacobs 24 workman-like carries....The Giants aren't without flaws but I don't know who I'd like to beat them in the Meadowlands....
- 8 years, 180 million....that's really not enough for Mark Teixeira? Honestly? He isn't even a top 10 position player in the Majors right now.....Just think about that....how can he be in a position to turn that down? I have no earthly idea
- The Hawks improve to 17-10.....it seems like a little payback for all these years of Atlanta sports doom.....but I'm sure the Falcons will lose in Round 1, and Joe Johnson and Al Horford will tear their ACLs soon enough....
- Rob Parker literally asked Rod Marinelli if he wished his daughter (who is currently married to his D-Coordinator) had "married a better defensive coordinator".....AT A PRESS CONFERENCE!....That exchanged actually happened.....after a pretty thorough unearthing of the guy already, he dropped that.....the term "suspended" doesn't even seem strong enough
Sunday, December 21, 2008
- Miami -3.5 over KC
- New England -8 over Arizona....West coast team (already playing badly lately) going east for the 1:00 kick
- Seattle +4 over NYJ....Long trip the other way, improving Seahawks bunch
- Atlanta +3.5 over Minny....reasoning below
That's it for that....
- Atlanta travels to Minnesota in perhaps the most crucial game to the NFC playoff picture with apologies to Carolina and the Giants who will be 1-2 in some order regardless of the outcome today....I like Atlanta in the matchup now that I know Tarvaris Jackson is playing....Seems too simple? Okay, how bout one of their all-pro DTs is out? not enough? Well, I'm satisfied
- The aforementioned Carolina/NYG game takes center stage in primetime and is the game of the year in the NFC....but yet, I'm not terribly interested because it doesn't settle much....That said, Giants fans need some life from their offense and they should get some with Brandon Jacobs back
- Pittsburgh and Tennessee highlight the AFC with a matchup of "titans" (pardon that)....I like Pittsburgh because I just don't trust Tennessee and Pittsburgh has a track record of squeaking out games.....and can we please go ahead and give Ben Roethlisberger some due? He's one of those classic "numbers don't matter" guys....You know he'll win games for you....and he has some ludicrously good numbers in 4th quarters and on final drives....he's just clutch....and he's doing it without an effective OL in front of him and with a beat-up running game
To some other stuff.....
- Lebron says he may re-up with Cleveland this summer....I still don't believe it....I know it's his hometown and they are improved....but his stated goal is to become a global icon and you don't do that playing in Cleveland, Ohio....you just don't
- College BBall roundup: UConn catches the Zags....Gonzaga impressed me by hanging in physically with the all-world athletes of UConn but gave way late....both teams are definite top 10 in my mind.......Duke pounds Xavier....I'm not surprised but people seem to be....Xavier was highly ranked, yes, but the talent disparity was large and the A-10 is still abysmal....Minnesota surprises Louisville.... For all the Louisville hype, I don't see the results....they have athletic guys but no one that really scares you outside of Samardo Samuels and he's a freshman who is raw....
- Iowa State hires an Auburn assistant to fill it's coaching vacancy....was that a trade we just witnessed? lol
- Jamal Crawford hangs 50 on Charlotte....further illlustrating that you can't play DJ Augustin and Ray Felton together and expect to guard anyone lol
- Lost in Dwyane Wade's 43 in a road win in New Jersey was rookie Brook Lopez putting up a 22 and 13 in the loss.....that's pretty darn impressive if you ask me
- Al Jefferson just thoroughly dominated Yao Ming last night (34 and 13 with Yao having 18 and FOUR rebounds)....and the Wolves still lost.....
- Quick....who's fourth in the East? Oh....the Hawks? What year is this? lol......Elsewhere in the standings....Philly, Toronto, Indiana, and Washington (four teams that garnered fairly good preseason ratings in the East) are a combined 36-69.....Washington alone is 4-20....4-20! Hate to say I pegged that one....but I did....but hey, I'm still the idiot who missed on Philly
- In the west....LAC and Golden State are a combined 16-39.....People saw Golden State's demise coming...but there were pretty significant expectations for the Clips....yikes....In my mind there is a clear "bottom 6" as we stand in the NBA.....Kevin Durant's team, Minnesota, Sacramento, Washington, Charlotte, and the Knicks (don't let the record fool you, they've been outright abysmal since they made moves)......
- Somebody e-mail me a plan for what to do with Mike Bibby if you are the Hawks this season/off-season/whenever.....He's coming off the books at like 14 million after this year.....Do you deal him now? Let him expire? Re-up him at a slight discount? Please clear this up for me
And i'm spent...
Thursday, December 18, 2008
- BYU +3 over Arizona
- TCU -2.5 over Boise State (I like the Mountain West lol)
- Maryland +2 over Nevada
- BC -3.5 over Vanderbilt
- Georgia Tech -4 over LSU
- Georgia -7.5 over Michigan State (it pains me)
- USC -9 over Penn State
- Florida -3 over Oklahoma
- Miami +8 over Cal
8 line bets seems about right....now let me try this.....I'm gonna pick every game straight up and see how I do.....Here are the winners
- Wake over Navy
- Fresno over Colorado State
- South Florida over Memphis (biggest lock of the entire bowl season IMO)
- BYU over Arizona
- Troy over Southern Miss
- TCU over Boise
- Hawaii over Notre dame
- Central Mich over FL Atlantic
- North Carolina over West Va.
- Florida State over Wisc.
- Cal over Miami
- Northern Ill. over La Tech
- Rutgers over NCSU
- Missou over NW
- Maryland over Nevada
- Western Mich over Rice
- Oklahoma State over Oregon
- Houston over Air Force
- Pitt over Oregon State
- BC over Vandy
- Kansas over Minny
- GT over LSU
- South Carolina over Iowa
- Clemson over Neb.
- UGA over Mich St.
- USC over Penn St.
- Cincy over Va. Tech
- T. Tech over Miss
- ECU over Kentucky
- Bama over Utah
- UConn over Buffalo
- Texas over Ohio St.
- Ball State over Tulsa
- FL over Oklahoma
There it is....Game previews as we go....and after doing that, there are TOO many bowl games...
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
- Celtics @ Hawks tonight....somehow a game in December is literally the biggest regular season game in the history of Philips Arena (Hawks AND Thrashers included).....Boston riding a huge win streak and the Hawks have shown the ability time and time again to beat them in that building....I love the enthusiasm around the city (for once) too
- Steph Marbury had to buy tickets to go see a Knicks game....lol
- Pro Bowl snubs (not that anyone cares): THE most glaring one is......Philip Rivers and Chad Pennington (over Brett Favre) which is totally indefensible b/c Favre has been borderline awful for about 8 weeks now, John Abraham (over Julius Peppers), Barrett Ruud (over teammate Derrick Brooks, who got a courtesy selection)
- Demarco Murray out for the BCS Title game.....this is actually way bigger news than it's been given credit for (because we are so far away from the game) but that could definitely swing things
- Can we decide whether Rafael Furcal is coming back east? It was being reported as a done deal yesterday.....and now it isn't? I'm indifferent on the deal, but I know one thing.....Frank Wren better have a plan on what to do with him, Yunel, and/or Kelly Johnson
- Michigan Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer resigns....after one year.....well I guess that's what happens when the unit that returned 8 full-time starters and 1 platoon starter from last year...and got measurably worse in his first campaign....and I don't wanna hear how they were on the field too much....make a stop for once in your life....Good riddance to you sir
- Joe Paterno gets a 3-year extension....I understand the outrage of some because...ya know, he does nothing....but if Penn State is fine with the team being run by coordinators...that's fine with me
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Edit: LOL, Gene Chizik hired at Auburn.....ummm...really? You're kidding me.....He just lost TEN games in a row at Iowa State...including going winless in conference....that's the guy you go with? I can't fathom why they wouldn't go with Turner Gill if he would've taken the job before this guy....Unbelievable
- Maurice Cheeks fired in Philly....wow...already? I thought he did a great job last year and should have been given more time....Brand isn't fitting but that's not his signing is it? Where's the GM in all this? I'm sorta miffed...
- AJ Burnett to the Yanks to go along with CC Sabathia....really? Why don't you go sign Tex and Manny too and field an all-star team and spend 300 million a year? My god
- I've never seen anyone that can do the things that Stephen Curry does with his frame (small, frail)....he's absolutely must-see TV....fantastic scorer...and climbing on draft boards daily as he shows he can distribute the ball as well
- The Heisman is presented tonight....and I don't care at all? seems a bit off....but not really....this hasn't gripped me in about 4 years....I think it ended for me when Jason White won it.....My pick: Sam Bradford......Guy who should be there and isn't (not Graham Harrell!): Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa
- Lots of good NFL action.....including....
YTD (Entering): 47-49-3
- Green Bay -2 over Jax....Jax is done...done, done, done...and I think they roll over here...Green bay has faint hope and may be the best team with a losing record that I can remember....
- Arizona -3 over Minny....Arizona plays much better defense at home...long trip for the Vikes....Tavaris Jackson....Tavaris Jackson.....On the road....
- Miami -6 over SF....West coast team coming east and playing at 1....we all know that trend....plus the niners smell and I like Chad at home
All I got for now....I will be continuing THE PICKS through bowl season...interesting to see the lines as I look through them more....To some NFL predictions....
- Atlanta over Tampa.....like the Falcons at home....Tampa's offense is really pretty bad....and they've shown they can be had in the run game....
- Houston over Tennessee....Read that again....I like Houston in the upset of the week....they are a different team at home
- Washington over Cincy....bleh
- Seattle over St. Louis....double bleh (Seneca Wallace!)
- GB over Jax
- Miami over SF
- Indy smashes Detroit...sigh....welcome to Detroit Sam Bradford or Matt Stafford lol
- SD over KC....I dont even know why
- Bills over Jets....call it a feeling....Brett Favre is looking closer to 59 than 39
- Zona over Minny
- Carolina rushes for 550 yards and beats Denver lol
- NE over Oakland....Jamarcus Russell for "huge, gigantic bust" continues
- Pittsburgh over Baltimore...think the Steelers D exposes Mr. Flacco a bit
- Dallas over New York because their backs are against the wall, Jacobs is out, and the Giants suddenly have no receivers lol
- Philly over Cleveland and a possible record for most Ken Dorsey Faces in one game
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
YTD (Entering): 46-46-3
- Pittsburgh +2.5....winner!
- Atlanta +3....loser!
- GB -5.5....Loser!
- Alabama +10....somehow a loser!
Alabama was fairly brutal...but I suck...officially....47-49-3....I'll make it up during bowls....Which brings me to my bowl reactions.....Here they are:
- BCS Title game: I'm very intrigued by the matchup....I think neither one of these teams stop each other....but Florida is gonna go wild on Oklahoma's D...and Bradford and Co. haven't seen a defense with as much talent and speed as Florida's....so I'm leaning that way....like the matchup
- The Granddaddy of them all (Rose Bowl): Penn State and USC....seems like a very, nice traditional matchup to me....that said, USC blows the doors off because, of course, it's still a home game for them and they've played in about 8 rosebowls this decade or something lol
- Fiesta: My favorite non-title game....Texas and Ohio State....now THESE are the games the "other" BCS bowls should be producing.....
- Orange: Cincy and Va. Tech.....now THESE are the games that make people wanna abolish the BCS lol
- Sugar: Alabama and Utah....I can't think of a better matchup for Utah in terms of watchability....Alabama shouldn't blow doors on them and Utah, for a one game scenario, could be very competitive here....and I've been on them all year....so I'm glad to see this game
- Non-BCS games I'll be watching: Cotton- Ole miss and Texas Tech....two under-rated teams with experience and talent; very watchable; Capital One- Georgia and Michigan State....Always entertaining Big 10 vs SEC game....Georgia is INFINITELY more talented here but if they can't stop Javon Ringer, good luck.....Chick-fil-a- LSU and Georgia Tech....just to see how bad the Tech defense makes Jarrett Lee (or whoever else) look; and watch GT run for 300+ on one of those "vaunted" SEC defenses.....Sun- Oregon State and Pittsburgh....you're thinking "is he serious?" and yes I am....These are 2 teams who easily could've won their conferences and will both be legit healthy....plus these are 2 of the top 8-10 RBs in the country on the same field with McCoy and Jacquizz Rodgers....Holiday- Oregon and Oklahoma State.....there will be 100 total points scored in this game...you can quote me on that....Poinsettia- This may be the only time ever I watch this game in my lifetime....but Boise State and TCU are both very good teams...and this is a classic clash between offense and defense....2 top 15 teams as well
- As for the rest of them....we'll see how I feel....but I'll pretend that at least half of the remaining games don't even exist....
To other things....
- Mets reportedly sign Francisco Rodriguez to a 3-year-deal.....these closer deals never seem to work out do they? I'm hoping (as a Braves fan) this one fails too...
- The entire National League better hope the Cubs don't get Jake Peavy....
- Remember when I picked Carolina to win the NFC South? ::Pats self on back::
- Remember when I picked Seattle to win the NFC West? lol
- Kevin Durant with a ridiculous 41 and 10 last night in a loss....can we get this guy some help please? I don't want him toiling in obscurity any longer....
- Dwight Howard laid a typical 23 and 22 on the Clips last night...he's averaging a full 3 boards and over a block more than anyone else in the league.....scary stuff
- Josh Smith's antics as far as Mike Woodson are inherently laughable to me....I didn't understand inking Smith to a long-term deal and then subsequently re-upping Woodson who Smith hates openly....he won't even look him in the face on the sidelines....this won't get the coverage because the Hawks are going to make the playoffs....but it certainly isn't acceptable
Sunday, December 7, 2008
- Florida topples Alabama....while the 31-20 final score made it seem like a semi-comfortable victory, I would say the opposite....Alabama led in the 4th quarter and was genuinely competitive throughout....I was impressed by Florida's resolve without Percy Harvin and 31 is nothing to sneeze at (even for them) against that outstanding Alabama defense....Props to Alabama as well for showing they were legit
- That brings us to Oklahoma demolishing Missouri....we all saw this coming....Missouri isn't very good defensively and Oklahoma may have the best offense in the entire land....AND they just hung 60+ points without an all-conference tailback (Demarco Murray went out on the opening kickoff)....I'm perfectly fine with them being put in the title game....the Big 12 tiebreaker is a sham....but in a 3-way tie, you can't just say "Texas beat Oklahoma" without saying "Texas Tech beat Texas"....Oklahoma has the best resume and has looked outstanding for about a solid month....
- Virginia Tech wins the ACC....Raise your hand if you're excited for a Virginia Tech/Cincinnati BCS bowl matchup? Me neither....
- Okay....so who's the Heisman winner? Sam Bradford has 1,000 more yards, 11 more total touchdowns (including 16 more passing) and less INT (on more attempts) than Colt McCoy....yes, McCoy was extremely valuable and you can't discount his running ability (and ludicrously high completion rate)....but Bradford wins the head-to-head battle.....That said....where does Tim Tebow fit in? I maintain that if he hadn't won it last year, he'd be the favorite but the built-in "no one ever wins it twice" thing is against him.... 40 total touchdowns....TWO INT....2!....It's clearly down to these 3 guys because Harrell and Crabtree will split votes for T. Tech and while Shonn Greene and Javon Ringer deserve more votes, they won't get them.....If I'm picking? Give me Bradford
To other sports....
- Manny Pacquiao dismantles the "Golden Boy" Oscar De La Hoya.....Please God let that be the last time Oscar gets a huge payday and top billing...he was thoroughly overmatched by a guy who had never moved up so high in weight....he looked old and slow and almost a shell of his former self....that said, props to Manny who is a huge star in other parts of the world and if people still liked boxing, he'd blow up here too
- Michigan downs Duke....in basketball? Muah ah ah.....Could the sleeping giant be re-emerging? lol....Some of you know that I am actually a Duke fan as well so if I had to pick a top 5 team for Michigan to beat, they wouldn't be the one....but in the end, I'm maize and blue through and through so I loved this one.....I was down on this team outside of Manny Harris and Deshawn Sims...but the freshman class that John Beilein has brought in fits his system wonderfully...I'm genuinely excited for the first time in about 6-7 years
- Washington hires Steve Sarkisian....love this move.....They are down, down, down in recruiting and this hire should fix that....he's been the brain child behind the USC offense for years (not you, Lane Kiffin) and should energize the fan base with youth and energy
- Marion Barber not playing today vs. Pittsburgh...umm....I'll take the Steelers lol
- Lost in the fact that Dwyane Wade hung 38 pts, 7 dimes and 5 boards on Oklahoma City was the fact that Russell Westbrook had 30 and 7 himself.....I'm impressed
- Get Paul Millsap some minutes! In his last 8 games, he's gone over 20 points 5 times and had 10+ rebounds in EVERY one of them....
- I cannot, will not....should not.....defend Mike Bibby's defensive effort in allowing JJ Barea to go off in the 2nd half against the Hawks last night....inexcusable to allow a guy like Barea to nearly single-handedly beat you down the stretch....sigh
- Dahntay Jones....27 minutes....1-8 FG.....JR Smith.....25 minuts....6-10 FG......Come on George
- Stephen Curry is that dude....44? Again? With Lebron in attendance, no less....and the dagger he hit as a throw-away from about 28 feet was just dumb....\
A nice NFL slate today....Enjoy
Saturday, December 6, 2008
YTD (Current): 46-46-3
- Pittsburgh +2.5 over Uconn....I don't know any reason UConn should be favored in this game....McCoy runs wild
- Alabama +10 over Florida....10 is just insulting....Saban keeps this close
- Atlanta Falcons +3 over NO....New Orleans' season end last week...big-time letdown coming
- Green Bay -5.5 over Houston.....Houston is a God-awful road team....rusty Matt Schaub playing in Lambeau.....
That's it....with the lessened College football slate....the picks will be less prevalent....
- ACC Title Game: Boston College and Virginia Tech.....In a game that inspires no one...lol and they also win the right to go play Cincinnati in the Orange Bowl! Woo! I like BC in this game b/c Virginia Tech still can't settle the QB position
- SEC Title Game: Alabama and Florida....You've already heard more than you need to hear about this game.....so Just know that I like Alabama to make it more of a grunge fest than normal....and this thing about Florida getting faster on turf....umm...what does turf do to Alabama then?
- Big 12 Title Game: Oklahoma either wins by 24 or more or lays a complete egg....no in between I dont think
NFL....Really only 4 games worth discussing for me
- Atlanta needs the win more than New Orleans does....
- New York is just good enough to overcome the Plax distraction and lay it on Philly
- Dallas loses in Pittsburgh....
- Tampa and Carolina plays to a draw....lol...I kid...I like Tampa because Jake plays right into their hands with the fact that he's totally erratic
Monday, December 1, 2008
YTD (Entering): 43-42-3
- Virginia +8....Winner!
- Oregon +3....Huge winner!
- Notre Dame +32....Sigh...Loser!
- Fresno +21....Huge loser!
- Arizona Cardinals +3....loser!
- Indy -4.5.....Loser by the half point!
- NYG -3.5....Winner!
YTD (Current): A terrible, indefensible .500 record of 46-46-3.....sigh
To the action....
- Cincinnati is your Big East champion....laughter ensues for me....the Big East sucks...I mention them because Pitt beating W. Virginia at home clinched this....bleh
- Remember I told you how bad LSU is? I was right....
- Georgia Tech over Georgia....Hurray! lol....The triple option is borderline indefensible when they have it going and they even came from behind to dispel the myth that this offense can't do that.....For my money, the best team in the ACC is GT but.....
- Virginia Tech beats Virginia, wins the division....Sigh....you think ACC promoters want Virginia Tech and Boston College? me neither....
- Missouri loses at home to a now 7-5 Kansas team....and I'm supposed to believe they can beat Oklahoma? Next...
- Florida and Alabama both cruise to set up the most highly anticipated SEC Championship game in years....it's been a while since there were 2 very good teams in this game....and I think these 2 suffice....BUT the story, to me, is Florida opening as a NINE AND A HALF point favorite....that's right...the 11-1 team is laying 9.5 points on a neutral field against a 12-0 team.....THAT, my friends....is a slap in the face to Alabama....don't think Nick Saban won't use that
- Oregon ends the Oregon State dreaming by putting up a paltry 65 on them on the road lol.....Nice D Beavers....better luck next year
And now to the debate gripping the nation lol......Ya know what? I'm not angered by the BCS placing Oklahoma over Texas.....Wanna know why? It's the Big 12's fault people! Nobody forced them to use it as the tiebreaker.....and when a huge weight of the system is computers that CAN'T SEE THAT TEXAS BEAT OKLAHOMA......that's what you get......when you look at the schedules....Oklahoma has the much better resume....
- Non-conference wns over: Big East Champ Cincy (by 26 no less), BCS Top 12 team TCU by 25
- And highly impressive blow-outs over Texas Tech by 44 and in-state rival (on the road) Oklahoma State by 20
Ready for Texas's schedule?
- Non-conference wins.....Florida Atlantic, UTEP, and Rice.....Yes, you read that correctly....not a credible one in the bunch
- Yes, They beat Oklahoma...and that does count for something....but it was a back-and-forth affair and they didn't blow out a single credible team all year outside of paper tiger Missouri
Personally....if I had a vote....I vote Texas in the human polls....but that said....you can't ignore the fact that entirety of Oklahoma's resume is miles better.....They beat Cincinnati and TCU HANDILY....the #11 and #13 teams in this nation....out of conference....and didn't so much as struggle in ANY other game aside from Texas....Just take a step back.....
- Oh....and by the way.....If you haven't noticed or been notified....Florida has pretty bad computer rankings.....so Florida beating Bama suddenly isn't so lock-ish for the #1 or #2 BCS seed....Can you imagine Texas vs. Oklahoma? lol....oh yea...and the REASON that Florida's Computer rankings are bad....is because...WAIT FOR IT....... THE SEC IS DOWN! NO one will tell you this....you won't hear it....but it's patently true.....your 3rd best SEC team? Georgia.....who lost to the 3 best teams they played and who's best win was over a bad LSU team....your 4th best team? How bout OLE MISS!??!?......Look at some of the standard-bearers for the SEC....LSU? 7-5 and they've looked worse than that, plus they have the SEC's worst QB......Auburn? 5-7.....Tennessee? 5-7......And please don't give me the "they beat up on each other" argument this year, it's just a cover for having many of your top programs in the toilet all at once.....Thank you SEC homers.....please don't refer to the fact that your conference is down while at the same time yelling and screaming about how the Big 10 and Pac-10 are so bad....and thank you to the country who will let this go unsaid....but not here....
- This brings me to my all-important rant of the day.....
Listen to me BCS bashers and ESPECIALLY advocates of the "Plus-One".....If you were to set up a plus-one system....what happens if, at the end of the bowls, there is a 13-0 or even 14-0 SEC or Big 12 school that has dominated the competition....that must be forced to play the #2 team in the country....who say, finishes 11-2.....What if the 11-2 team wins? Who wins the title? The 14-1 SEC team who just lost or the 12-2 team who's season was much worse? Who wins then?
How bout this? If you have a 4-team playoff this year....who goes? Somebody in the SEC title game has to lose on Saturday....do you punish a 12-1 Alabama team if they lose to Florida and keep them out of a 4-team playoff? Who gets left out between non-conference champ Texas and USC? Is Utah invited? How bout 11-1 Penn State or Texas Tech? WE'D BE ARGUING ANYWAY....
- Moral of the story? If you don't wanna argue about mythical champions or "who is better".....pick another sport....It's not going anywhere....and that's what makes College Football as popular as it is
I'm a day behind....NFL Wrap tomorrow
Saturday, November 29, 2008
- Dwyane Wade is a consensus Top-3 player in the league at the moment with Kobe and Lebron....this was debatable (for sure) prior to this year due to injury, etc....but he's made the leap back to the conversation....and for my money, he's playing better than Kobe is so far this year (no, he isn't the better player, slow your roll)
- Umm....I need more Chris Bosh talk.....27.7 points and 10.5 boards almost a quarter into the year....that's legit folks....With apologies to Tim Duncan, he may be the NBA 1st-team PF if the season ended today
- Other guys that need more love: Danny Granger, Stephen Jackson, John Salmons, Devin Harris.....all 4 guys are tearing it up to clips that they need to be discussed
- Here's a list of the #5 thru #10 ALL-TIME CAREER LEADERS in 3-point field goals made....ready? 5. Eddie Jones, 6. Tim Hardaway, 7. Nick Van Exel, 8. Peja, 9. Antoine Walker, 10. Jason Kidd.........Other than Peja, how IN THE WORLD are these other 5 guys on this list? My head is spinning.....
- Was there any doubt that Baron Davis would take a step back after a contract extension?
- Has there ever been a guy who did less outside of scoring than Ben Gordon? He's a 6'1 (sorry, he's not 6'3) 2 guard who can't handle or distribute....sigh
- This is the best rookie class since the 03 draft....Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo, and Michael Beasley (and obviously Greg Oden, more on him in a second), get the love......but guys like Rudy Fernandez, Marc Gasol, DJ Augustin, Jason Thompson, Brook Lopez and even George Hill are playing very, very well.....
- That brings me back to Oden.....can we all agree he'll never be an elite offensive option now? Thanks....I like what he brings on defense and rebounding obviously, but the Blazers inexplicably get worse when he's on the floor....it's a small sample size though so I'll hold off
Okay...more team-orientated stuff now....
- I honestly cannot tell how Orlando wins games.....yes, Dwight is good and they have great scoring forwards.....but there's no depth....and literally....NO guardplay to speak of....and yet they're 12-4....inexplicable....some of it is schedule so I'm hoping I can either figure out what's happening or they'll fall off.....That said, Dwight Howard's 21, 14, and 4 blocks is patently insane....
- Miami still intrigues me....they have the scorers....I think it depends on what they get from Mario Chalmers going forward on whether they hold onto a playoff spot....
- I left New York and New Jersey for dead....I was wrong.....so far....I think New York is actually sustainable pending injury concerns.....They're getting alot from Wilson Chandler and the swingmen....but I hated the trade for them....so I think they probably fall off....New Jersey is directly tied to the health of Devin harris and the suddenly inspired play from VC...i don't trust him for a second lol
- Swing and miss on Philly for me.....but Patting myself on the back for Washington....I'll break even lol
To the West....
- Phoenix is better than I thought....7-2 on the road is darn good....but this whole rest Shaq every time they have a back-to-back thing is kinda weird....Amare's playing at a high level but Nash CANNOT get hurt.....that goes without saying
- Denver is a nice story...I didn't like the deal for them initially but I'm looking wrong....Billups has brought a little floor leadership.....if George Karl would just put JR Smith on the floor, I'd like them more.....The key for me is Nene's health...he's a heckuva player up front but has no healthy track record to speak of
- 2 title contenders....2 different routes....New Orleans has started slow (9-6) and look to have regressed after last season....too early to tell but some teams never really get over that 2nd round bubble....Still love what Mr. Paul is doing.....and then there's San Antonio....Also 9-6....but 9-6 exceeds almost all expectations when Parker has missed 10+ games and so has Ginobili....Roger Mason has played well and they've gotten good production from George Hill and Mike Finley....but it's all about Timmy D folks....
- The Team Kevin Durant Plays for is worse than I thought.....and that says alot....
- Mike Dunleavy has personnel power.....and head coach status...only guy in the league....correlation to them being bad? I'm just saying.....Camby doesn't fit.....Baron's not playing well or hard....On the bright side, Eric Gordon should see the floor extensively now and that can't hurt.....I'd whole-heartedly argue against them dealing Kaman (as rumored) but I don't think they can get rid of Camby and Randolph isn't moving again I wouldn't imagine....seems like a destined logjam
- After all that....there are 3 favorites for the title (Boston, LA and Cleveland)....LA is by far the most talented and today, I'd still pick them.....The only other legit threats IMO are Utah (when all the way healthy), New Orleans (ditto), and San Antonio IF they make a move and give the Big 3 some help....that's it....so don't get your hopes up.....lol
- Oh yea...I am really excited about the Hawks in case you were wondering....I could probably write a thousand words on just them....but I'll save that....just know that Josh Smith can't get back fast enough....
Friday, November 28, 2008
- Either the Lions run D is as bad as I've heard, or Chris Johnson is Walter Payton....either one....lol I'm gonna lean toward the former....
- I can't believe that my preseason NFC West pick is actually 2-10....That doesn't make sense even knowing Seneca Wallace started half the games...
- I won't claim to have seen the Arizona/Philly game (die Charter Cable)....but that score baffled me....Arizona can't legitimately claim to be an NFC contender playing pass D like they did last night....They're gonna win the NFC West by default, but I'd bet money that the Wild card will be favored over them in the playoffs....And....Welcome back Donovan and Brian Westbrook....nice to have you back at the party
- Texas A&M is flat out abysmal...I have no idea why one of the most well-funded, prominent programs in the country gets to be this bad for a number of years (insert Michigan joke here but realize that was one year with a new scheme)....College Station is the picture of a college town and they have millions of dollars behind that program along with fantastic facilities....inexplicable to have that lack of talent, especially on defense
- Knicks suspend Steph Marbury for refusing to enter the game.....For once, I'm with the angry player on this one....don't tell me I'm gonna be inactive for reasons other than performance then wanna put me in the game when it suits you....no thanks
- If they had announced prior that Michael Curry would've made the Pistons practice Thanksgiving morning, what would have been the betting line on Allen Iverson skipping it? I would've laid 3 to 1 on it....lol
- I really like Gonzaga this year....very balanced....talent everywhere.....This isn't your dad's Gonzaga.....I'm on the limb that this is one of the 5 deepest/most talented teams in the nation....if they defend when they need to, this is a definite final four contender....
- Line of the night in the NBA: JR Smith.....32 minutes, 13-21 FG, 5-9 3pt, 32 points, 5 boards, 4 dimes.....and he doesn't start in favor of......Dahntay Jones....kill me George Karl
- The Wizards are becoming a laughing stock....any team that starts the immortal Dee Brown at point guard can't be taken seriously by me....On a brighter note, it's great to see Etan Thomas play and play effectively....his story of coming back from heart surgery has been buried, and I'll help bring it to light
Thursday, November 27, 2008
- Virginia +8 over Va. Tech....ACC is too topsy-turvy...
- Oregon +3 over Oregon State....No Jacquizz Rodgers....no Pac-10 Title
- Notre Dame +32 over USC....This number just looks outlandish lol....
- Fresno State +21 over Boise State....sense the underdog theme?
- Arizona Cardinals +3 over Philly...Vegas gives Philly way too much love
- Indy -4.5 over Cleveland....Derek Anderson makes me yawn and Indy is ratcheting it up
- NYG -3.5 over Washington....time to ride the Giants
- The Thanksgiving game for college is.....the once-impressive Texas and Texas A&M matchup....except A&M is now dreadful....Texas by 30+
- Georgia Tech @ Georgia....much anticipated matchup where I live (obviously) and I'm really looking forward to it actually....I like Tech in this one because UGA's defense has a propensity to be undisciplined...and that's bad news against this triple option
- Florida @ Florida State.....On paper this looks ugly....but Florida State has a fast defense and this one could be competitive in Tallahassee....I'm not gonna pick the Noles but I think they hang around
- Auburn @ Alabama...obligatory mention because I respect the rivalry....Auburn is abysmal.....especially on offense....Bama cruises
- Oregon @ Oregon State....The Beavers are playing for the Pac-10 title and the Rose Bowl....but without Jacquizz Rodgers....the "Civil War" may go the other way....and I just can't stomach the thought of a Oregon State/Penn State rematch in the Rose Bowl lol
- And....the headliner....Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State in the Bedlam game...Oklahoma needs to win and win big....if they do that, I'd assume they jump Texas in the BCS and thus, jump into the Big 12 title game....I think they do
- Quickly for Thanksgiving....Titans smash the Lions....Seattle hangs around for longer than you'd think and loses to Dallas.....Arizona beats Philly.....
- NYG @ Washington....Huge matchup for the Skins....and I think they fall
- New Orleans @ Tampa....Must-win for the Saints playoff hopes....and again, I think they fall
- Carolina @ Green Bay.....Must-win for the Pack in the NFC North race.....and I think they win....Jake Delhomme has been a wreck lately....and it won't get easier against Charles Woodson and co.
- Pittsburgh @ New England...Love these kind of games.....could be ugly...could be pretty....no one really knows but this is a big test for Matt Cassel
- Denver @ NYJ....Somehow this is a battle of division leaders...Denver isn't good....but no one in the AFC West is.....NYJ easy here
- Monday night....Jacksonville @ Houston.....Geez, that smells....anyway....Houston is a good home team generally but Sage is pretty darn bad....I really have no idea
Monday, November 24, 2008
- First....Eddie Jordan fired as Wizards coach....this seems like an inordinately quick trigger for the longest tenured coach in the Eastern Conference...1-10 is flat-out dreadful and there's no defending it....but without their superstar (Gil) AND last year's break-out center Brendan Haywood...I feel like he should've gotten a longer leash....
- Bill Snyder RE-hired as Kansas State football coach....umm....this wreaks of Joe Gibbs to me....old, out-dated coach (and noted cheater) returns to try and save a floundering program......I don't think this one works...call it a feeling
To the NFL....anddddd....THE PICKS wrap
YTD (Entering): 42-38-3
- Michigan +20.5....I don't wanna talk about it yet but...Loser!
- Washington -7....Loser! (in fairness, I thought Jake Locker was playing)
- Michigan State +15.5.....Loser! (stop me when you see a trend)
- Cleveland Browns -3.....Loser!
- Seattle +3.5....Winner son! lol
YTD (Current): 43-42-3....and now losing money to the juice....sigh
- I'll start with Philly....getting shellacked by Baltimore is one thing....and Donovan was flat-out awful....but I can't figure out what Andy Reid is doing....both in general and with Donovan...now he starts again this week? Please clarify....
- Buffalo hanging 54 points on anyone just shouldn't happen.....
- Welcome back to the party Cowboys passing game.....we didn't miss you at all
- Detroit goes up 17-0 in the first....and loses 38-20 lol.....If you can't see the hilarity in that, I don't know what to do with you
- Down goes Tennessee.....no one should be shocked by the loss....just by the way they went about it....failure to run the ball....Kerry Collins winging it for dear life.....they looked bad
- New England, however, looks poised and ready to come.....Matt Cassel is going to sign a huge contract with someone this offseason (and battle with Donovan McNabb as the 2 available QBs)....Minnesota anyone?
- Okay, I'm done with Jacksonville
- Umm....don't look now but the Falcons may make the playoffs.....I still wouldn't pick them as of today....but if they go into San Diego and win....count me in
- NY Giants and Arizona played the game of the day-time....The Giants look pretty strong....but impressed with Arizona's effort...they are fairly legit (as much as you can be in that division)
- Who wins the AFC west? Denver looked God-forsaken this week....and still has a 2 game lead....kick them all out of the league lol
- Adam Vinatieri....ice cold.....Indy is still in it....San Diego.....you are not....so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE roll over and lay down this week with my Falcons coming to town....Thanks!
All for now...
Sunday, November 23, 2008
- Ohio State thoroughly smashes Michigan....okay, so I'm not surprised by this....but I digress....Nick Sheridan was absolutely awful (as predicted) going 8 of 24 for 87 yards and running for -10 yards in a system that needs QB running....The defense was fairly bad...but was set up time and time again by terrible offense leading to bad field possession.....On the bright side, we'll undoubtedly be suiting up another True freshman QB next year and probably go 4-8 instead of 3-9....
- Why is Florida playing the Citadel at the end of November? That's gotta be addressed
- Penn State is going to the Rose Bowl...they've been the class of the Big 10 all year and deserve it....although they'll get thoroughly pounded by USC (if Oregon State loses), they've already beat up on Oregon State once this year
- Referencing the Penn State victory.....every single time anyone thinks Michigan State is gonna turn it around....they lose and usually get embarrassed in a big game.....
- Utah takes it to BYU....and SHOULD get a BCS bid...they undoubtedly will and deserve it....
- Boise State squeaks by Nevada....please don't tell me they should be in the BCS....play somebody...Their "quality" win was beating Oregon who was playing their 3rd string QB and is a only a decent Pac-10 team regardless.....Utah has beaten BYU and TCU (who would both win the Big East IMO, lol), AND Oregon State (who may win the Pac-10)......BUT You know who should be ranked ahead of Boise State (if they run the table, of course)....Ball State....the MAC is better than the WAC.....AND they have to play a championship game at a neutral site that would place them 13-0 with a better schedule than Boise would play....just a thought....and watch out for the best QB you haven't heard of in Nate Davis from Ball State
- Cincinnati takes control of the Big East by beating Pittsburgh....The Big East is crap-tacular....
- Can anyone make sense of the ACC? The team with the best resume in the league (Maryland) gets smashed by 30+ at home by an average Florida State team yesterday....sigh
- And the highlight game of the day.....was a complete pounding....Oklahoma takes it to Texas Tech...exposing a tired, outclassed team that just had to run the gauntlet....Oklahoma will likely get the Big 12 South nod now after getting the respect of that win, and likely vaunting to the head of the BCS standings (the tiebreaker for the Big 12 south)
- LSU still sucks....does everybody see that now? Getting beat by a fairly average Ole Miss team by 18 at home.....Go away LSU.....can't say I'm angry about you floundering Les Miles....you've been exposed sir
Saturday, November 22, 2008
- Michigan +20.5.....Yes, I'm a homer....but this is too many points...OSU's offense is average, and no matter how bad Nick Sheridan has been, Ohio State could be held under 20 themselves
- Washington -7....Washington State is abysmal still....I'll take the Huskies
- Michigan State +15.5.....This line stunned me....really over 2 touchdowns? Which Penn State team have they been watching?
- Cleveland Browns -3.....Houston is awful on the road...Sage is awful anywhere....Brady Quinn looks efficient at least
- Seattle +3.5....Call it a feeling....
- Michigan/Ohio State....I'm a big proponent of rivalry games.... I won't hate you if you don't watch this game this year b/c Michigan is terrible....but that said, it's still the game
- Michigan State/Penn State....It's for the Rose Bowl...enough said
- Oregon State @ Arizona....if you can get this game....watch it
- BYU @ Utah....Mountain West title and a BCS bowl bid (for Utah) on the line....2 very good teams
- Texas Tech/Oklahoma.....Game of the week....I'm picking Oklahoma for the record....Texas Tech being a 7 point dog as an undefeated team is ludicrous though if you ask me
- Jets/Titans...Best of the early matchups....I think the Jets have a legit shot here b/c they can stop the run....
- Giants/Cards.....Probably 2 of the top 3 seeds in the NFC playoffs go at it....big test for the Giants secondary
- Panthers/Falcons....Win or go home for the Falcons IMO....a loss puts them staring at 8-8 squarely in the face...and btw....if you said 8-8 preseason, I woulda jumped up and down
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
- Before I really begin, I'll shamelessly tell you that I drilled my Marshawn Lynch breakout pick from last night....but at least I missed the game prediction....so all's right with the world
- Brady Quinn is pretty good so far....not really surprised....they waited about 4 weeks too long....oh, you think they should've just let Derek Anderson go after he had more INT than TD for the entire 2nd half of last year while their 1st-round QB sat? and THEN gave him a huge extension? Yea....You're right
- RIP Pete Newell....the well-known basketball coach dies at 93....he is best known for his Big Man camp and has worked with all kinds of hall of fame centers.....
- Mark Cuban is insider trading? Isn't he richer than rich? lol
- Albert Pujols wins the NL MVP....yea, I don't care that they didn't make the playoffs.....there was no real candidate on a playoff team in the NL and his numbers are utterly stupid.... how bout a .357 average, 37 HRs, and 116 RBI? Nobody can get near these numbers when you realize that .357 is an absolutely unbelievable number
- NCAA Basketball is going for the new concept of a 24 hour debut for the season....I don't hate the idea but I don't know who's watching the 4 am game? Or really who (other than me) is watching St. Mary's and Fresno at 2 am (Patrick Mills was awesome last night lol)....The highlight of this are coming tonight with UNC and Kentucky (even though Kentucky isn't good, people will watch this)
- Kevin Durant is very, very special.....his team....is not....
- Tim Duncan has quietly gone back to early decade form with 24 and 10 right now....quietly keeping the Spurs around at 5-5 and battling each day without his 2 star guards...I've said it before and I'll say it again....he's the best power forward of all time and definitely in consideration for the best player of the post-MJ era (so far)
Monday, November 17, 2008
First....there were 2 ridiculously bizarre gambling events...and BOTH went against me in the same week.....the Stanford ridiculous back-door cover when they pulled their FG unit off the field and threw a prayer TD at the buzzer....and the pittsburgh INT TD reversal that was proven to be a bad call....that also went against me.....yikes....
- Indiana +35.5.....Winner!
- Auburn +10.....Winner!
- South Carolina +22....Huge, ridiculous loser! lol
- USC -24....somehow a loser
- Pittsburgh -5....somehow a loser
- Dallas -1.5.....Winner!
- Indy -8....Loser!
YTD (Current): 42-38-3....bleh....2 breaks and i'm 44-36-3
To the NCAA:
- Texas pounds Kansas....indifferent on the result for Texas....they are good, we all know this....Kansas is 6-5...that's awful for a supposed contender with everyone coming back.....and no one is killing them....kill them already
- Georgia over Auburn.....good, but ugly game.....Auburn's offense is pretty awful...but at least Kodi Burns is playing
- Maryland beats another Top 25 team at home....in the process takes control of its ACC division....no one is good in the ACC...most teams are fair....average maybe....
- Um...don't look now...Oregon State may win the Pac 10....that USC loss doesn't look so bad now does it?
- Florida absolutely dismantles South Carolina....umm....knew they'd win....but you just can't turn the ball over if your SC in that game...it got ugly really fast
- LSU got down 31-3 to Troy somehow.....at least they won....but wow....how does that even happen? lol they are terrible....don't forget who told you first...and Jarrett Lee is the worst starter on a supposedly good team in the nation....
To the National Football League (quoting Jaws).....
- My Falcons layed down....bound to happen....all these inflated expectations throughout this city...I still think 9-7 is the ceiling...and i'm gonna predict 8-8.....Only favored in 1 game the rest of the year (St. Louis at home), play 2 teams that are better than we are (Carolina and Tampa) at home, and 3 teams that are around the same as we are on the road (San Diego, Minnesota, New Orleans)....I'd be ecstatic with 3-3 down the stretch....4-2 and a playoff spot is a dream....but hey.....we can hope
- The Giants get alot of love....they need more.....if they played Tennessee on a neutral field, they'd be a 7 point favorite.....that's all you need to know
- My NFC darkhorse? Green Bay....managable schedule....Ryan Grant is heating up.....some bad breaks this year have misled their record....I can see them finishing 5-1 and making the playoffs
- Pittsburgh and San Diego set the league back 10 years....lol.....
- Is it me or is Arizona bound to lose at home even if they get a playoff bye? Welcome back Matt Hasselbeck btw...we missed you
- All that balleyhoo about Washington....now you have a 6-4 team with a legit possibility to finish the slate 2-4 if they lose @ Seattle this week (don't laugh with Hasselbeck back and their notoriously good home field)
- MNF pick....Buffalo 23-17 over Cleveland...Marshawn Lynch explodes.....finally
Friday, November 14, 2008
YTD (Entering): 39-34-3
- Indiana +35.5 over Penn State....Before I start, Indiana is awful, I won't argue with you...but Penn State may not score 35 total regardless
- Auburn +10 over Georgia....Got a feeling they play tough....this is their best shot at a bowl game and they play better at home
- South Carolina +22 over Florida.....Apparently I like the underdogs this week...but I think this spread is at least a field goal too high b/c everyone is suddenly in love with Florida....South Carolina plays D and teams that play D can generally cover 20 point numbers
- USC -24 over Stanford....They remember last year.....Trojans by 40....
- Pittsburgh Steelers -5 over San Diego....San Diego still isn't good....Ben's practicing....Steelers by 10
- Dallas -1.5 over Washington.....No Portis for Washington....don't think Campbell can do enough
- Indy -8 over Houston.....Sage the Great on the road.....Indy's offense looks to be getting it together....
Okay, on to the action....First of all....this college football slate looks to be the worst in weeks....that said, usually these are the type of weeks that total chaos usually takes place on.....
- Texas @ Kansas (12:30).....Lost in the Big 12 hype this year is the fact that Kansas is still a fraud...just one that doesn't win every close game like last year's squad.....That said, playing at home, this could be an upset alert for Texas
- Georgia @ Auburn (12:30)....Spoke about this one already.....but should be competitive at least
- South Carolina @ Florida (3:30 CBS)....Somehow this is the game of the day on paper....remember when I said it was a bad week?
- Boston College @ Florida State (8:00)....This is the primetime matchup, lol....2 pretty decent ACC teams but Florida State is missing 5 players due to suspensions....I like the Eagles on the road....
To the NFL....
- Denver @ Atlanta....I obviously am following this one closely....Cutler will likely throw for over 300 but I still like Atlanta....Michael Turner continues to eat up bad defenses and Denver's run D is as bad as they come....
- Baltimore @ NYG....I bash rookie QBs regularly (save Matt Ryan) but Joe Flacco has been good lately....look for that to come to a screeching halt on the road against the most intimidating pass defense in the league in the Giants
- Minnesota @ Tampa....Loser is in deep trouble in terms of playoff possibilities so this one is big...regardless of it being borderline unwatchable....
- Arizona @ Seattle...The return of Matt Hasselbeck! LOL Sorry that was for you Ryan...no other reason to mention this game
- Tennesssee @ Jax....People are picking Jacksonville to end the streak.....I don't know what evidence they have b/c Jax has been pretty putrid...but hey....it's possible
- Cleveland @ Buffalo....Oh yea....Cleveland is on monday night like 4 times this year....congratulations to the NFL on somehow not seeing through them preseason like I did....This may be a turn-off game....even for me
Enjoy the slate
- Somehow I lead with hockey.....Barry Melrose gets fired....Barry is the famous (and formerly ONLY) hockey analyst for ESPN....that left to get fired in 16 games....sorry Barry...sportscenter needs you though lol
- The Rockets-Suns "fight" from the other night (Charles Barkley said it best when he said this was a "scuffle" since no one actually threw or landed a punch and the thing ended when Shaq stepped in)....results in 3 suspensions...Matt Barnes and Skip Alston for 2 games....and Steven Q Nash for one.....Seems...right? Although I'm not sure what any of them did that was worse than T-Mac or Shaq? Eh....
- Lebron is ridiculous....he's topped 40 in 3 of his last 5....he's averaging 29, 8, and 7 and he's not even shooting the ball well...BUT props to him for realizing he should cut down on his 3 attempts (only taken 30 all year) because he's shooting 20% and he finally shows the understanding that he can get to the rim at will, so why stand out there and brick jumpers?
- As I write this....Indiana is up 22-2 on Philly....yes, 22-2....Just thought I'd tell you
- And to my beloved Hawks....I haven't been this excited in years.....yes, years....If Paul Pierce didn't dagger my heart, the Hawks would stand at 7-0....as it stands, 6-1 and tied for the #1 seed (laughter, 7 games in and I'm seeding people).....and most of this has gone down without Josh Smith....Do I think this is sustainable? No.....Do I think we could be battling for the 4 or 5 seeds in an Eastern conference with only 2 title contenders (Boston and Cleveland)? Yes...
- Danny Granger is so nice......Learn his name....learn his game....
- Dwight Howard is pushing for that Mega-super-duper-star label.....24 and 15 for the year so far...oh yea....and 4.4 blocks...if he defends and intimidates like he's been doing....wow....
- Memo to Nellie: Andris Biedrins is killing people....14.8 boards? Please play this guy 35 minutes a night....He's all you have
- How bout the Knicks sneaking around? The mix D'Antoni is playing seems to be working....Randolph is delivering his 19 and 10...Eddy Curry's buried...and Wilson Chandler is the homeless man's Shawn Marion....if they can get reasonable production out of the guard trio of Crawford-Robinson-Duhon....they'll be a .500 team...and that's a huge step up
- Ah...I should've seen the post-contract Baron Davis season coming.....The Clips are 1-7 and BD is averaging 15 and 7....At least Al Thornton is playing well.....
- The Team Kevin Durant Plays For.....is the worst in the league...thought you should know....somebody help him!
- Wait....Washington may be as bad....::pats self on back::
and...this....The NBA is FANNNN-TASTIC! I love this game!
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
- Champ: Michigan State
- #1 Challenger: Purdue
- POY: B.J. Mullens, Freshman, Ohio State
- Player to watch: Robbie Hummel, Purdue
- Champ: UCLA
- #1 Challenger: Arizona State
- POY: James Harden, Arizona State
- Player to watch: Demar Derozen, Frosh, USC
- Champ: Texas
- #1 Challenger: Oklahoma
- POY: Blake Griffin, Oklahoma
- Player to watch: AJ Abrams, Texas
- Champ: Kentucky (this conference is flat-out awful)
- #1 Challenger: Tennessee
- POY: Patrick Patterson, Kentucky
- Player to watch: Tyler Smith, Tennessee and Tasmin Mitchell, LSU
- Champ: UNC
- #1 Challenger: Duke
- POY: Anyone but Tyler Hansborough please (I'll go Kyle Singler, Duke)
- Player to watch: Jack McClinton, Miami
- Champ: UConn
- #1 Challenger: Pittsburgh (stacked conference)
- POY: Luke Harongody, Notre Dame
- Player to watch: Hasheem Thabeet, UConn
Best of the rest (in order):
- Gonzaga, UNLV, Davidson, UAB, St. Mary's, Memphis, Xavier
All- "Best of the Rest teams:
- 1st team: Stephen Curry (Davidson), Austin Daye (Gonzaga), Paul Delaney (UAB), Patrick Mills (St. Mary's), Eric Maynor (VCU)
- 2nd team: Tyreke Evans (Memphis), Jeremy Pargo (Gonzaga), Derrick Brown (Xavier), Robert Vaden (UAB), Luke Babbitt (Nevada)
Preseason Final 4 (btw, I have no idea here):
- UNC, UConn, Pittsburgh, Duke
- DeMar Derozan- USC
- Jrue Holiday- UCLA
- BJ Mullens- Ohio State
- Tyreke Evans- Memphis
- Greg Monroe- Georgetown OR Al-Farouq Aminu (Wake Forest)
- 1st team: Tyler Hansborough (UNC), Stephen Curry (Davidson), Blake Griffin (Oklahoma), Luke Harangody (Notre Dame), James Harden (Arizona State)
- 2nd team: Kyle Singler (Duke), Austin Daye (Gonzaga), Hasheem Thabeet (UConn), Patrick Patterson (Kentucky), Patrick Mills (St. Mary's)
- 3rd team: Ty Lawson (UNC), Darren Collison (UCLA), Tyler Smith (Tennessee), Chase Budinger (Arizona), Earl Clark (Louisville)
There it is.....Have a good year!
- Kansas +1....Loser!
- Alabama -3.5.....Winner!
- Wazzu +41.....Winner!
- Kansas State +27.5....Winner!
- Houston Texans +1....Loser!
- NYG +3....Winner!
- Utah (big comeback to give them a chance to BCS)
- Pittsburgh (looking suddenly very strong)
- North Carolina (forgotten ACC front-runner)
- Texas Tech (can't be stopped it seems)
- Florida (Vandy isn't terrible, and that wasn't even contested)
- LSU (namely Jarrett Lee)
- West Virginia (wave bye-bye to the Big East lead)
- OK State (at least put up a fight defensively...)
- Georgia (and yes, they won)
- Penn State (obv)
- Atlanta (keep on keeping on)
- Baltimore (a big-time road win...GIVE WILLIS MCGAHEE THE BALL!)
- The Jets (jeez)
- The Giants (best team in the league, sorry Titans)
- New Orleans (God-forsaken defense and no running game)
- Houston (bleh Sage)
- St. Louis (47-3?)
- San Diego (and yes they won....they aren't good)
- Arizona (and they won too)
Sunday, November 9, 2008
All this talk of a college playoff system got me to thinking....I know this has probably been discussed, and I may be on the limb here, but I don't see a reason for an 8 or 16 team playoff....hear me out....The College Football REGULAR season is the best of ANY sport..... got me? No? Okay then, I'll explain.....What sport has the week-to-week, game-to-game importance of a college football saturday? Where games mean everything to someone, every week....I won't give you the "pageantry" and "tradition" arguments that most would....I'll just say that every game matters more...and I'll be right....In the NFL you can go 10-6 and win the Super Bowl...it's been done....someone can lose SIX games...and be the champs.....College football? 2's the max...and that's historically rare.....like once every 50 years rare.....Yes, the game is more subjective.....but in this age of parity, if you win every game you play....you generally win the national title....only once since the BCS was implemented has a team that ran the table gone without the title....and that was only because there were 2 historically good teams besides them in that same season.....Yes, we all hate the subjectivity....I'm with you on this....but if you make an 8 or 16 team playoff....the regular season diminishes....and listen to me now.....College football LIKES the fact that everyone hates the BCS.... Just think about it....would we be yelling and screaming as much in September and October if we knew the teams we were arguing about were gonna play in the 16 team playoff? Yes, I know the playoff would garner huge ratings (March madness style), but at what expense? We've all seen what has happened to college basketball...the regular season generally means next-to-nothing and ratings and discussion of it reflect that....College football has a niche....great regular season....and I don't see that going somewhere? If you wanna give me the plus-one argument? Meh....what happens if there's one undefeated team at the end of the BCS and they, for some reason, have to go play a 2-loss team in the plus-1 and lose? What does that solve? There is no good solution.....yes, the playoff would crown the "real" champion, but I'm going to continue enjoying the week-to-week excitement of the current system, and as a realist, I'll take it for what it's worth....You may hate it, but it isn't going anywhere because of the reasons stated above......Just one man's opinion....
Comment plz (trying something new here, I feel like Rick Reilly or something)
Saturday, November 8, 2008
- Tony Parker, first of all, shouldn't be scoring 55 on anyone....but his ankle injury will absolute kill an already depleted Spurs roster....They may not win another game until he gets back when I look at the schedule....and yes, Tim Duncan, is very, very, very good still....
- 2 team records I feel smart about.....Hawks 4-0, Wizards 0-4......and yes, it's way too early for this bullet....and now Josh Smith is out 2-4 weeks with a sprained ankle....right before a 4 game road trip that could easily even the record at 4-4 (I'd honestly be satisfied winning 1 of the 4, not a joke)
- Dwyane Wade is killing it....25, 6 and 8 so far....I saw this coming in the summer, and he looks like the old Dwyane Wade....I still like Miami
- I have no idea what to make of Chicago....so many guards....so many 4's.....I don't even know what they are....but they look good some nights....
- Kevin Love with 20 and 8 last night.....smiles all around
- Under no circumstances should a point guard, much less Devin Harris, attempt 24 FTs in a regulation game.....I didn't see this one....but that seems utterly ridiculous...he ended with 38 and I give him the credit, but yikes
- One random NBA thought....Good luck Redskins....Deangelo Hall? Vintage Daniel Snyder move....they don't even have a pressing need at corner...he just couldn't resist
- Quick, who's the leading rebounder in the NBA? Dwight Howard? Nope.....Kevin Garnett? Nope.....How bout Andris Biedrins.....do you know who that is? Be honest with yourself and if you don't, go look it up
- I watched pretty much the entire Nuggets/Mavs game last night....JR Smith is everywhere....he can look absolutely amazing on the offensive end at times...fluid, with range, athletic as all get out.....then make you scratch your head too....Hey, George Karl....Dahntay Jones? Get out of here....please
Friday, November 7, 2008
YTD (Entering): 35-32-3
- Kansas +1 over Nebraska....I didn't get this line...still don't...Kansas definitely the better team....Will overcome the home field...
- Alabama -3.5 over LSU....not enough points to lay...if it was -7 I'd pause...but LSU has looked bad recently..
- Washington State +41 over Arizona....taking the plunge....I've ranted and raved about how bad they are....but Arizona shouldn't lay 40+ to a high school team on the road
- Kansas State +27.5 over Missouri....Tooooo many points...say it with me now
- Houston Texans +1 over Baltimore....yes, I know it's Sage the Great at QB...but at home, I like them
- NY Giants +3 over Philly....this was a line that I said "huh?" after....A good sign
Okay....Games to watch....First in the NCAA
- Georgia Tech @ UNC....Best of the Early slate and very important for the ACC title...which looks more like a charity prize than anything at this point....should at least be a close game
- Penn State @ Iowa AND Alabama @ LSU.....2 undefeated title contenders playing at 3:30...both on the road vs. inferior opponents....both could be beaten.....must-see TV IMO
- Oklahoma State @ Texas Tech.....Game of the day by far....Prime-time...I think TT gets through this one....only to fall to Oklahoma....but that's me
- Tennessee @ Chicago...Best game at 1:00 for sure....Everyone seems to sleep on Chicago here...and with good reason....hear me out...if Orton plays, I would've almost liked the Bears....but with the famous Gross...Man.....Titans please
- New Orleans @ Atlanta....This looks almost watchable....First of all, I'd be shocked....SHOCKED....if Brees didn't go for 350+ yards in this game....That said, I sort of like Atlanta's chances at home....New Orleans can't stop the run and Michael Turner turns into Walter Payton against bad defenses....
- Indy @ Pittsburgh....if Ben plays, I like Pittsburgh.....if Byron plays, I like Indy.....
- NYG @ Philly...I'm picking the Giants....but this is the game of the week, watch it....
Thursday, November 6, 2008
- Gotta talk about the Hawks this morning coming off a shocking (at least to me) ROAD victory over West-contending New Orleans....going to 3-0 isn't huge....it's how they've done it....2 road wins over playoff teams and a solid home comeback win over East likely-playoff team Philly.....And the bench (albeit short in nature) has actually been reasonable....I, for one, am excited to see what goes down here.....
- Is there a reason Chauncey Billups hasn't taken a physical? Seems weird to me...
- LA isn't keeping Manny...stop all this....Scott Boras isn't just gonna have him sign there because he liked it there....He'd have to fire him first....
- I know that none of you care about Ball State....but you should....not necessarily about the undefeated record....but their QB Nate Davis is absolutely for real.....and MAC QB's have a track record....Just saying....
Sunday, November 2, 2008
- West Virginia -3.......Winner!
- Pitt +5........Winner!
- Washington +46....Loser!
- KC Chiefs +9......Winner!
- Cleveland -1.5....Loser!
- Indy -6.....Loser!
- Oakland +2.5......Gladly a Loser!
- Seattle +6.5....Loser!
- My Falcons utterly cruise.....Oakland may have had the worst offensive performance I can ever remember....they had 2 yards at halftime....and Jamarcus Russell isn't good....he'll never be good...there, I said it....
- Buffalo goes down again....Coupled with NE losing and NYJ winning....a cute little 3-way tie in the AFC East...and for the life of me, I have no freaking idea who the best team is here....
- Arizona still looks good....especially on offense....that's for sure....
- The Giants look the best team in the league to me....with apologies to the undefeated Titans who continue to win close ones behind that great defense...if they played today...Give me the giants
- I can't decide what division is worse....NFC West or AFC West.....The pu pu platter of San Francisco, St. Louis and Seattle vs. the pu pu platter of Kansas City, Oakland, and Denver.....advantage AFC West....but Arizona is better than San Diego....I digress
- Game of the week is still to come tomorrow.....so stay tuned
- Well, Texas Tech showed the country they are for real...we all saw that...and that Texas Pass D (that I mentioned in the preview) came up small yet again....I was actually impressed by Colt McCoy and Texas in their comeback but their pass D just wouldn't let them win this thing.....Just one thing that I haven't heard anyone mention...I was looking at the Texas Tech 2-deep depth chart...my goodness....They're like...all...seniors...That's a good thing (for this year) last I checked....With the exception of Crabtree, all of their playmakers/leaders are at least upperclassmen if not seniors and that bodes well for their chances....what doesn't bode well is the fact that they still have to get through OK State, Oklahoma, and likely Missouri in the Big 12 title game to go unbeaten....I don't see it...but for now, they should be ranked at least #2 IMO with only Alabama having a comparable resume (sorry Penn State)....
- There is zero...and I mean zero...doubt in my mind that Florida and USC would beat any of the 3 major unbeatens...however, please get away from me with this talk of a 1-loss SEC or Big 12 team getting the national title nod over an undefeated Penn State....it's NEVER going to happen....Penn State would be ranked higher in both human polls...and that's enough to ensure a top 2 spot...so please, stop....
- Speaking of Florida....They looked out-of-this-world good again....not necessarily surprised as Georgia had their hands full all day, and hasn't particularly impressed anyone all year outside of beating up on a vastly over-rated LSU defense....Yes, there was definitely some spotty officiating in the 1st half....but you can't fake 49-10 (and it was 49-3 until a late TD)....
- I had seen exactly ONE hook-and-ladder play actually work in college football....until Purdue ripped my heart out with one yesterday....I can't even talk about it anymore
- I will now say...with conviction, no less....that this year's Washington State team is THE WORST, and I mean it....THE WORST TEAM IN A BCS-CONFERENCE IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL.....Yes, I know, the athletes are better now so they'd beat up on bad teams previous....I'm talking about in comparison to today's teams....they lost by 55+ to STANFORD.....Their closest Pac-10 game was a 28-3 loss to UCLA who was playing without their starting QB and RB....Their combined score against Pac-10 teams is 350-33.....That's an average score of 58-5....Utterly inconceivable to me how they could be this bad....At least they get to play Washington at the end of the year....Maybe they'll lose by less than 30
- I'm sick of Missouri.....their best win was a "neutral" field win over Illinois in which they allowed 42 points to a mediocre offense....they've lost to the 2 ranked teams they've played by a combined 30 points....stop somebody.....and then I'll discuss you further
- The Mountain West is still better than the Big East....just thought you should know
- Team most like to be the "BCS-Buster"....No, it's not Utah (although the Utes are legitimately good and much better than this team).....it's Boise State....it's all scheduling folks....Utah still has to play BYU and a very, very scary TCU team....while Boise gets...Fresno State...at home on the blue turf....I never hear them mentioned....You'll hear it more soon
- I've never seen a conference like the ACC this year....There are about 10 teams in that conference that are 7-5 teams lol....10 of the 12 teams are between 2-3 and 4-2....TEN of the 12....and Duke is 1-3 with wins over Navy and Vandy.....Weirdest thing I've ever seen....11 of the 12 teams are alive....
Okay...enough ranting....Enjoy the NFL Slate...full wrap on that Monday featuring the Picks
Saturday, November 1, 2008
- West Virginia -3 over UConn....not a believer in the Huskies without Lorenzen...
- Pittsburgh +5 over ND.....Pittsburgh coming off a bad loss will be motivated...
- Washington +46 over USC....I expect some small fight from them...will still lose by 35-ish
- Kansas City Chiefs +9 over Tampa....Tampa wins..but not by 10 on the road
- Cleveland -1.5 over Baltimore....Cleveland looks better all the sudden...and Joe Flacco, as always, on the road
- Indy -6 over NE....this one just seems obvious to me....dont know why
- Oakland +2.5 over Atlanta....I hope I'm wrong....
- Seattle +6.5 over Philly....long trip...good home team....
- Texas @ Texas Tech...Obviously a big one here....I don't think The Red Raiders win this one...but that Texas Pass D is AWFUL....people won't discuss it...but Harrell goes for 400+ here...
- Florida vs. Georgia in Jacksonville....I think Florida wins this one...too much speed...the revenge factor from last year...they'll be ready...
- Wisconsin @ Michigan State...I have no idea how this is the best early game...but it is...
- NYJ @ Buffalo...Actually an important AFC East battle...I'm not a fan of what Brett Favre has looked like lately...and Buffalo is forgotten about....they're still 5-2....I like buffalo
- Green Bay @ Tennessee....Tennessee has to lose sometime...I doubt it's here without a special performance from Aaron Rodgers....
- Dallas @ NYG.....Dallas goes down...and goes down hard again here....paging Tony Romo...
- Philly @ Seattle....Upset of the week....take Seattle....No, I have no reasoning....
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
- Greg Oden leaves his first game early with a sprained foot....umm....when does this become a trend? I know they have a plethora of young wings...but at what point is Portland looking a little ominous for that selection? Yes, I believe he'll be a dominant defender (at least) but he's gotta be on the floor first....
- Boston beats Cleveland coming back from the dead....a ho-hum Boston victory as they come from behind late...Lebron still can't shoot FTs.....Boston is really good....You knew all this...
- LA POUNDS Portland from the tip....this one didn't shock me....but LA's talent is on full display...Luke Walton isn't even in the rotation...read that again....That's sort of unbelievable to me....regardless....so much depth....so much talent....love that team....
- World Series game 5 may actually be played tonight...on schedule as of now....I have no idea what's gonna happen.... but Peter Gammons has already anointed this the worst World Series ever....yikes....that's a strong statement from somebody who is basically the voice of the game outside of Bud Selig....There better be some fireworks (and hopefully, for viewers, more baseball after tonight....) so go Rays
- Charlie Villanueva starts and plays 8 minutes...no injury....something told me Scott Skiles would hate him... Ding Ding Ding...
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
- First on my sporting agenda today is the return of the NBA in regular season form....I'm highly excited about the season and even about tonight's slate...TNT features the Cleveland/Boston and Portland/LAL double-header....pretty much as good as they could possibly do as far as intrigue.....the 2 most highly discussed East teams by far and the #1 West team facing the impending juggernaut of Portland (along with it being Oden's debut)....A really nice slate.....
- For you NBA diehards (cough, Ryan, cough)....you can flick over to WGN to watch Milwaukee @ Chicago...lol....Derrick Rose's debut and the chance to see what in the world Vinny Del Negro is gonna go with that backcourt rotation may be enough to get me to go there on commercials....BECAUSE....
- The World Series Game 5.5 is rained out....again.....I'm cool with this...but this could be huge depending on how MLB handles the scheduling should the series continue...namely, if Philly loses but can still get Hamels to go in Game 7....That's pretty huge...
- More NBA news....Eddy Curry won't be in the rotation for New York....People are semi-shocked by this from a standpoint of the fact that he puts up reasonable numbers and makes alot of money...but I agree with Mike D'Antoni...he doesn't fit and they're better off without him playing....
- Ted Cottrell (Chargers' D Coordinator) fired....About time....this unit has been flat-out dreadful and the media isn't saying this enough....people are still afraid of the Chargers...but I don't see it....worst Pass D in the league (yes, even behind the Lions) so far...ouch....
Enjoy the NBA tonight!
Monday, October 27, 2008
- Kansas -1....uhhh.....loser!
- Michigan State -4....Winner!
- Georgia +2....Winner!
- Ohio State +2.5.....Loser!
- Dallas Cowboys -2....Winner!
- Buffalo -1.5......Loser!
- Baltimore -7....Winner
- Texas Tech smashes Kansas....didn't see that coming...especially not by 40+...We know Texas Tech can score....but they played D in this one....nice tuneup for Texas game this week
- Florida beats Kentucky 63-5....Yes 63-5...Kentucky is supposed to be a legit defense...umm....No thanks...but Florida has looked awesome for the past couple weeks....
- Pittsburgh goes down to Rutgers....and this is a bad Rutgers team...will ANYBODY stand up in the Big East!? I maintain the Mountain West is honestly better top to bottom.....remove them from the BCS lol
- I saw the Georgia win coming....and soundly coming at that...LSU isn't the typical LSU this year....I've been preaching this...they have bad QB play....that defense isn't top-10 material and they only get recognized that way because of their helmets....and it showed here....
- Shocking score of the week to me....Missouri 58, Colorado 0...word? Same Colorado team that beat West Virginia and gave Texas a decent run...yikes...
- Alabama/Tennessee came and went...yawn...Tennessee is a wreck...Alabama cruises on....2 big games left....LSU and Auburn....ummm....LSU we've discussed...and Auburn is an absolute sinking ship....just saying....
- Penn State and Ohio State play a classic Big 10 battle...13-6 PSU...well....pencil them in for the undefeated season folks....their toughest remaining game is....ready? @ Iowa.....IOWA!....My goodness
- Hey Florida Fans....hey Georgia fans....listen closely....if you win out...and there's only 1 undefeated team....you WILL go to the BCS title game....I promise you....so don't freak out...you're passing USC if you win out....Breathe.....
- Carolina and Arizona played a good one...that Arizona offense is just putting up ludicrous numbers....and Carolina keeps plugging away....getting it done with the 2-headed backfield and the old school Delhomme to Smith....very intrigued by them
- Buffalo lays an egg....can't get behind that....Miami is better than you think...but can't blow a 2 score lead like that....and now the old Patriots are tied in the division....Be afraid
- New Orleans exposes San Diego...in my preview I gave you this one....and it played out exactly as I thought....Brees threw the ball ALL OVER THE FIELD on San Diego's atrocious pass defense...and people will keep doing this....I don't believe in San Diego....at all....frankly, the AFC west is a complete wreck too....
- Why is it when Brett Favre throws 3 INT it's just him having fun? If Matt Ryan throws 3 INT....stop the presses, he's awful....
- Speaking of the Falcons....worst call of the week award goes to the phantom muffed punt....if you haven't seen it...check out the highlights on nfl.com....ugly call that cost the Falcons a chance at the win....and maybe the worst announcing blunder in a while...blaming Mike Smith for not having a timeout?! Are you F'ing kidding me Tim Ryan? Go to sleep....
- Some life for the Seahawks! 8 wins can win the NFC West....I'm still on the wagon lol
- Game of the week: Giants/Steelers....didn't disappoint....ho-hum 21-14...Both great teams....can't take too much out of it....other than they're both good....
Friday, October 24, 2008
First of all....THE PICKS
YTD (Entering Sat.): 28-24-3
- Kansas -1 over Texas Tech....Not a believer in the Red Raiders....esp. not on the road
- Michigan State -4 over Michigan....I'll gladly be wrong...but I don't think I will be
- Georgia +2 over LSU....Go back and read that again...I picked Georgia and against Michigan....but I really think LSU is a serious "paper Tiger"....
- Ohio State +2.5 over Penn State....I think Penn State is good....but this is the game they go down....Tressel will have them ready, this much I'm sure....if this is in Happy Valley, I go the other way, but with Pryor at home and comfortable, this is the play
- Dallas Cowboys -2 over Tampa...I think they get right a little bit here...this isn't an offense that can light Dallas' D up
- Buffalo -1.5 over Miami...better team....by more than enough to make up for the fact that it's on the road
- Baltimore -7 over Oakland....Oakland is God-awful on offense....they may not score 7 points total...and I think Baltimore can put up at least 17 at home....Plus the dreaded West Coast team on the east coast 1:00 kickoff.....too many factors....
Okay that's that....Games to watch in CFB....
- Texas Tech @ Kansas (Noon, ESPN)....Good Big 12 battle and clearly the best of the noon kickoffs...
- Oklahoma State @ Texas (3:30, ABC or ESPN2)....Game of the day with apologies to the SEC diehards....We don't know a whole lot about Oklahoma State other than they can score at will.....and they WILL put up yards and points in the passing game (Texas's weak link)....but will it be enough?
- Georgia @ LSU (3:30, CBS)....Good battle here...on record picking UGA....but it comes down to Stafford's play and the ability to shut down whatever semblance of a passing attack LSU tries to trot out there
- Penn State @ Ohio State (8:00, ABC)....Thoughts above, but this one will be an all-out battle
To the NFL.....
- Quickly....my winners are....Baltimore, Carolina, Dallas, Washington, Buffalo, NE, New Orleans (upset special), NYJ, Philly, Houston, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh (though wavering now that Holmes is out), Seattle (upset special #2), Tennessee
- NY Giants @ Pittsburgh...4:15 Sunday....Game of the week without a doubt....Top 3 teams in both conferences meeting....I like Pitt in the game...the Giants defense is in slight turmoil because they can't run the passer all the sudden....Good game here though
- San Diego vs. New Orleans....live from....London!? WHYYYYY....Never understood this...oh well, to the actual game....New Orleans wins here....San Diego's pass defense is actually God-awful and really, this team hasn't looked good in 5 of its 7 games...and the defense hasn't looked good in 6 of the 7....Brees wings it all over the place
- Arizona @ Carolina...This suddenly looks like a possible NFC Playoff Divisional game....yawn...I like Carolina in the game...but only b/c Arizona refuses to give the ball to Tim Hightower while Edge James run down the field with a gigantic fork coming from his back....paging Shaun Alexander....
Enjoy the slate everyone
Thursday, October 23, 2008
- Average 20 points- Michael Beasley
- Average 10 rebounds- Greg Oden
- Average 10 assists- Derrick Rose
- Get injured running laps- Kosta Koufos
- Unfairly get bench splinters- Ryan Anderson, Courtney Lee
- Throw ridiculous 75 foot laser beam outlet passes (for you Ryan)- Kevin Love
- Lock you down end to end on defense- OJ Mayo
- Be out of the league in 4 years- Anthony Randolph
- Not play a single second this year- JR Giddens
- Be under-appreciated but contribute on a playoff team- Robin Lopez
- Lead the league in turnovers- Russell Westbrook
- Lead the league in blocks- Greg Oden
- Be the fastest player in the L- Jerryd Bayless
- Be the receiving end of a poster- Kosta Koufos
- Make GM's regret not picking him earlier- Nicolas Batum
- Wish he stayed in school- Donte Greene
- Lead the league in Bill Russell references- Greg Oden
- Single handedly make people how forget the Spurs front office has been- George Hill
- Lead the 2nd rounders in minutes- Chris Douglas-Roberts
- Do Something that will be labeled freakishly athletic- Jevale McGee
- Be a top-10 bust- Joe Alexander (Danilo Gallinari is just too easy)
- Most Improved Player- JR Smith
- Coach of the Year- Mo Cheeks
- Rookie of the Year- Greg Oden
- 6th man of the year- Lamar Odom (if he doesn't start reportedly)
- All-NBA First Team- Yao, Garnett, Lebron, Kobe, Paul
- MVP- Lebron James