Friday, September 11, 2009

Weekend Football Preview....

Well well well...our first FULL football weekend....let's hit the highlights...First in college...
  • USC/Ohio State - This game clearly leads the slate...2 of the conference standard bearers going head to head...add in Terrelle Pryor's ridiculous Vick comments (and his heisman talent), OSU's ugly start, Matt Barkley going on the road to a crazy environment, and about 100 other things...big-time game...I think USC wins...but not going away, I just don't think Barkley will be able to dominate in the way he'd need to for a blowout to go down...
  • Notre Dame/Michigan - Jimmy Clausen ladies and gentlemen....coming out party on a national stage you say....I say no... Michigan's corners are an underrated unit and Jimmy's on the road.... Do I think ND wins the game? Yes, I actually do... the talent disparity (and maturity level) is actually fairly significant toward ND (especially on the O-line), Michigan will play big and hang around for 4 quarters...but I'm thinking ND 27-24 ish....
  • Upset of the week? I really, really like South Carolina over Georgia....SC's defense has dominating potential and Joe Cox is clearly not healthy for Georgia....can they score 20 points against the Cocks? I say no... and Garcia is better than last year...if it wasn't in Athens, I'd be a little more confident in SC...but I still like them as my upset pick this week...
To the Pros...
  • Here come the Redbirds.... and they draw the Dolphins at home...actually a pretty good matchup on paper...Miami's defense will still be a pretty good unit but a unit that is a year older and starting 2 rookie corners....not a good match vs. the Falcons.... Matt Ryan and Roddy White get off early here and make Chad "the Soft-throwing" Pennington try to beat them...he won't....
  • Philly/Carolina - I can't tell you how much I dislike Carolina this year....Jake is back at QB....enough said right there....add in the ownership/GM turmoil...AND the fact that I love Philly this year (too much talent on both sides, and a real live receiving corps for the first time since TO)....
  • Green Bay/Chicago - Rodgers vs. Cutler in a young QB battle...I can't overestimate my man-love for the Packers this year... I'm taking Aaron Rodgers in every fantasy league...I'm picking them to go to the Super Bowl....it never ends... I'm actually a big fan of what Chicago has done in the offseason as well and their defense still has elite talent on defense...the receiving corps is flat-out dreadful, but Hester has some upside... Green Bay holds Matt Forte down a little and wins this one...
  • Skins/Giants - Everyone loves the Giants...nobody seems to love the Redskins....I'm in the middle on both counts... The Giants have no receivers (literally, although I like Domenik Hixon and Steve Smith as supporting guys) and a banged-up secondary...and the Skins have elite talent on defense especially when factoring Haynesworth and rookie Brian Orakpo... I like the Skins to cover (Giants by 6.5), but I'll stick with NYG in the game....
  • Quick picks: Indy over Jax, NO over Det, Dallas over TB (closer than you think), Philly over Car, Balt. over KC, Houston over NYJ, Denver over Cincy (only if Orton plays, if not, switch these), Cleveland over Minny (upset of the week), SF over Arizona, Seattle over STL, NE over Buffalo, SD over Oakland (biggggg)
Enjoy the pigskin

No comments: