Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A little football....

Greetings... I realize there's been little to no football content so I figured I'd dabble in a little now that the BCS title game is here, and it's accompanied by the 1st round of the NFL Playoffs.... to the games, first to the college variety...
  • First tonight's Orange Bowl... Georgia Tech and Iowa... This will be short since I don't really care about non-title bowl games.... I like Georgia Tech because Iowa can't score... I keep hearing how Ricky Stanzi is the difference for Iowa... but that would be an oversight since... ya know... Ricky Stanzi isn't good at football.... GT 31-17
  • And the big one.... Alabama and Texas for the marbles... Classic old school matchup of 2 big-name programs with star power on both sides... Colt McCoy, the nation's career leader in wins, and Jordan Shipley, the consensus most consistent receiver in the land on side.... Marc Ingram, the reigning Heisman winner, Rolando McClain, probably the best linebacker in the country, Terrence Cody, the nation's premier run-stopper, and Javier Arenas, the best combination DB/return man in the country..... Insane talent on both sides... For the record, I thought TCU was the best team in Texas all year... and haven't been overly impressed with the Longhorns in the 4-5 times I've seen them... I'm picking Alabama despite the ongoing Heisman curse b/c I think they can run it effectively and Texas hasn't seen a defense like this.... Alabama 27-20

To the NFL matchups....

  • Jets/Bengals - The worst matchup of the playoffs.... without question... in fact, if I had to say who I think the worst 2 teams in the playoffs are, these are them.... Mark Sanchez is not to be trusted... ESPECIALLY on the road in the playoffs... but the Jets have one of the league's best running games, an elite defense and some momentum... for Cincy? The better QB, a rejuvenated back in Benson, and the pleasant news that Chad will in fact be in the lineup... oh, and homefield.... translation: Bengals
  • Eagles/Cowboys - Man I hate rematches from Week 17...so clearly there HAD to be 3 of them this week... I love, love, love the Eagles in this matchup... better defense, more experienced (and IMO better) QB... got a look at what the Cowboys are last week... and can't overlook how the Cowboys always seem to die... can't get past it... Would it surprise me if Dallas won? Not at all... they have tons of talent, they're playing at home, and Philly looked awful last week... but I'll take Philly
  • Ravens/Pats - As of Sunday morning, I was picking the Pats to go to the Super Bowl... the Welker injury changes that... BUT it doesn't change that they're winning this game.... Brady and Moss are there, Julian Edelman is shockingly competent in the slot, and I simply don't trust Joe Flacco on the road.... Couple that with the Pats 8-0 home record, HOF coach, and Tom freaking Brady? Pats by double digits...
  • Pack/Cardinals - Game of the weekend.... Because the game is in Zona (which is patently absurd btw, why should they be rewarded for being in a pathetic division?! sigh... don't get me started), this one gave me some pause... Arizona was there and playing at a high level last year, they are slightly better at running the ball, but Warner has taken a small step back, and Boldin is likely to miss the game... that's a crushing blow... it enables full-time doubles on Fitz, and takes away their best YAC guy... for GB, Aaron Rodgers has been unbelievably good in the 2nd half of the year, Ryan Grant is a 1200+ yard back, and they have quietly one of the better WR tandems in the league... add in a devastating defense with personal favorite Charles Woodson taking half of the field away (and nobody to take advantage of the other CB sans Boldin).... Pack, Pack, Pack....

Guess I better get in a Super Bowl pick.... (with NO conviction at all btw).... Colts over Packers....

No comments: