Tuesday, March 23, 2010

2010 MLB Preview Part 2: AL Central

Onto part 2... profiling the AL Central....
  1. Chicago White Sox (86-76) - They are the pick because I really like the rotation depth, and I really see break-outs and/or bouncebacks from most of (if not all of) this group: Gordon Beckham (huge), Alexei Ramirez, Alex Rios, Carlos Quentin... Bobby Jenks is dinged up and that's a concern, but I like Ozzie, and he'll have them ready to go
  2. Minnesota Twins (82-80) - I've heard everyone picking the Twins, and I actually like what they did with their offense (picking up O. Cabrera, and Thome), but they're still trotting out the Brendan Harris/Nick Punto pu pu platter at 3rd, and have a huge hole at closer now without Nathan... Liriano is probably the x-factor and while I like him to bounce back, I think they fall short
  3. Detroit Tigers (82-80) - Really like the upside of the Tigers' rotation this year because I'm very high on Porcello, and I feel like Scherzer is right there... Some serious question marks in the lineup is what sets them back, how realistic is it to rely on Austin Jackson, Scott Sizemore, Ryan Raburn, and Gerald Laird? Not very IMO...
  4. Cleveland Indians (75-87) - I like this young lineup with guys like Choo and Asdrubal Cabrera that I'm high on... there just isn't enough pitching even if they get production from Carmona and Masterson... I just don't see it... Kerry Wood going down doesn't kill them because, well, he's Kerry Wood... Still a year or 2 away
  5. Kansas City Royals (73-89) - Ah, the Royals... The funny thing is, they have alot of guys I like... Obviously Greinke is a stud, and I'm high on DeJesus, Betancourt, and Billy Butler... but you can't trot out guys like Jason Kendall and Scott Podsednik every day and be taken seriously, plus the non-Greinke starters are questionable... they could challenge Cleveland to remove themselves from the cellar, but that's it

Really another pretty average/bleh division... There's not one team here that would compete in the AL East race, and really there isn't I like to sneak up on anyone in the playoffs because of a lack of starting pitching (outside of potentially a Verlander/Porcello combo)... The real teams come in Part 3 with the AL East... stay tuned

No comments: