- Chris Paul is better than you. The Clippers PG finished with 27 points, 9 rebounds, and 7 assists to lead the Clippers to an OT win over Memphis in taking a commanding 3-1 series lead. Paul was just 5 of 17 at one point in the game, but made his final 5 shots, including 3 straight jumpers in OT after Blake Griffin fouled out. My man-crush on Paul knows no bounds, and he was incredible last night. Speaking of Griffin, Blake played his best game of the series with 30 points on 10 of 15 before fouling out and that 2-man show with Paul had it going. This is a devastating blow to Memphis, who failed to steal one in LA despite dominating the glass 47-36, and getting a breakout 25/8/7 from Mike Conley. This series isn't over because I still think Memphis is the better team, but it's on life support.
- The Spurs swept the Jazz. No one is too shocked by this since it was the 1/8 matchup, but the Spurs hate in some circles still exists, and it's nice for a Spurs "guy" like myself to see them throttle Utah in 4. No one played more than 28 minutes for San Antonio and they (namely Duncan and Ginobili) will be glad to get an extended rest going forward.
- Cole Hamels suspended 5 games for throwing at Bryce Harper... and admitting it. How stupid do you have to be to admit this? I'm irrational about the Phillies, but Hamels just climbed my list of dislike simply because he came off like a clown.
- Cubs 5, Braves 1 - With the exception of a Jason Heyward blast, former Notre Dame receiver turned Cubs starter Jeff Samardzija threw a 7-inning gem to stifle the Braves bats in the series opener. Tommy Hanson threw fairly well (6 innings, 2 ER on solo homers), but O'Flaherty and Durbin both surrended runs (2 for Durbin) and it may be cause for concern on O'Flaherty going forward. He's simply not as sharp as last season and his ERA of 6.55 is indicative of that.
What to watch for on Tuesday...
- NBA - Magic @ Pacers - NBATV 7:00 - Indiana looks to close this series out in 5 and I think they do that at home.
- NBA - Celtics @ Hawks - TNT 8:00 - The Hawks try desperately to stay alive. Interested to see how Smith's knee looks because if he isn't right, this is over anyway.
- MLB - Braves @ Cubs - SportSouth 8:00 - Delgado vs. Dempster - Randall Delgado is coming off the best and longest start of his career and will look to build on that here.
- NBA - Sixers @ Bulls - NBATV 9:30 - Philly tries to close out Chicago on the road... I think the Bulls have some fight left and steal this one before bowing out in Game 6.
- NBA - Nuggets @ Lakers - TNT 10:30 - This one ends tonight as well. Too much size for LA.