- The NFL kicks off tonight with Cowboys/Giants on NBC. The defending champs are hosting this one (as is customary) and with the unusual Wednesday start, it almost helps the build-up. NYG is a 4-point favorite at home, and I actually like them in the game despite some uncertainty with health (Hakeem Nicks) because Dallas is so banged up (Witten, Bryant, Austin), and playing on the road against a wild crowd. I'm interested to see DeMarco Murray against that Giants front seven, and whether or not Eli can follow-up on his Super Bowl season. At any rate, let's get it!
- The Braves lost 6-0 last night to Colorado in front of about 12 people at Turner Field. Tommy Hanson simply isn't an electric pitcher anymore, and won't ever be one with his current velocity, but he was semi-effective except for the 2 homers last night. The Braves just couldn't get a hit with RISP and that was the story. Back at it tonight against Alex White and the Rockies.
- The Yankees have blown a 10-game AL East lead. We can only hope they completely die and miss the playoffs. No mercy.
- Alabama is #1 in both polls, and I have one question. How could they not be?
- The Ryder Cup team is set for this year's captain Davis Love III. He went with Jim Furyk and Steve Stricker as captain's picks and I like both moves. The Ryder Cup is one of the events that I'm inexplicably tied too, seemingly forever, after watching the heroism of Justin Leonard back in 1999. One of my favorite events in sports.
One last thing, I didn't finish the NFL Previews before Wednesday's kick (sorry), but they'll be up in full by Sunday. Enjoy!