Thursday, April 15, 2010

2009-2010 NBA Playoff Preview

Aloha... "Part 1" with the awards went up earlier... and here we are with the Playoff Preview... What I'll do is go a little more in-depth series-by-series in the 1st round and drop an overall "quick-hitters" preview at the end... then I'll go round-by-round when we get there with more in-depth stuff... Wow that was long... here we go....


Eastern Conference
  • #1 Cleveland vs. #8 Chicago - This could get ugly and quick... Cleveland has the best player on Earth, better front-court depth, and an exceeding experience advantage... the one x-factor for Chicago is that I don't think Cleveland has anyone that can consistently stay in front of Derrick Rose... but when you have help defenders like Lebron and Varejao and a very good overall team defense you can overcome that... I think Cleveland would MUCH rather have seen Toronto in this spot because Chicago has significant talent, but Cleveland should cruise rather easily... Cavs in 5

  • #4 Boston vs. #5 Miami - Probably the most interesting of the series' in the East simply because of how poorly Boston has played (losing 7 of their last 10) and how hot Miami is (winners of 9 of last 10)... Let's get this out of the way... there's no way on Earth that Boston SHOULD lose this series... they have the talent edge at every single spot except for whoever is opposing Wade, plus they are deeper and more experienced... that said, they seem wholly underwhelmed down the stretch, Rasheed is wretched, and Garnett isn't Garnett.... If Miami had another piece or 2 to go with Wade and Beasley, I'd be picking the upset... I just can't, in good conscience, take a team that features the Chalmers/Arroyo/Alston pu pu platter at the point and Joel Anthony playing extended minutes.... Wade will keep them in games though... Celtics in 6

  • #3 Atlanta vs. #6 Milwaukee - This is the series that experts were clamoring for a month ago... and it would've been the best matchup by far in the 1st round had Bogut not gone down... without him, they are forced to give Kurt Thomas, Dan Gadzuric, etc. those minutes and that's too much of a drop-off... factor in Jennings' shooting woes and lack of experience coupled with this Hawks team having played playoff basketball the last 2 years and playing at the highest level in 20+ years... I don't see this lasting thing... but a shame for the NBA fan that Bogut went down, because they were very dangerous... Horford has a field day, Joe does enough, and the Hawks win... Hawks in 5

  • #2 Orlando vs. #7 Charlotte - On paper, I think this is the strongest sweep opportunity on either side... The Magic have the talent advantage, the beast in the middle, and depth that can't be rivaled by anyone in the league... For Charlotte, they will absolutely lock you down defensively, they're exceedingly well coached (don't forget how good Larry Brown is when he's actually coaching, not leaving), and there's talent there (Wallace, Jackson, etc.)... SVG won't let them take it lightly, but Vince Carter is still alive and kicking (lol).... Because of Larry Brown and that defense, they'll definitely win one or 2 but Orlando should have no problem moving on even if VC and company don't produce to their full level... Magic in 6

Western Conference



  • #1 LAL vs. #8 Oklahoma City - I love the Western conference... let's just say that... This is a fantastic series from a fan prospective... the young up-and-comers against the old-guard favorites... For LA, Kobe isn't playing well (by his standards) and Bynum is a question mark... they still have absolutely no bench (and it's worsened by having to start Lamar) and Derek Fisher vs. Russell Westbrook could turn ugly for LA... but at the same time, Pau Gasol should have his way, Kobe is still Kobe, and they have Phil Jackson and all the experience.... For OKC, Kevin Durant will get 30 on anyone, they have the PG advantage, and Sefolosha to throw at Kobe... I think they make this very compelling, and I would've considered picking the Thunder against Dallas or Phoenix... but I can't do it here... Lakers in 6

  • #4 Denver vs. #5 Utah - Along with Phoenix/Portland, I've had to re-write this section due to injury... Kirilenko has been ruled out for a couple weeks with a calf issue, and that greatly affects my feelings on the series... he likely would've been the primary guy to throw at Carmelo, and really is always their X-factor... I still think Deron Williams will give Chauncey fits and that Utah has the considerable advantage up-front with Kenyon Martin limping around... and I still think Jerry Sloan will pound Adrian Dantley in the coaching department.. but without Kirilenko and already short-handed on the wing, I don't think they can handle Carmelo in any way, and you know JR Smith has one blow-up game in him where he's capable of dropping 30.... Gun to my head I'll go with... Denver in 7

  • #3 Phoenix vs. #6 Portland - Note: Brandon Roy was just announced via Yahoo to be missing this series... and accordingly I've re-written this paragraph... Crushing blow for Portland who I originally was strongly considering picking in 6... Without Roy this is a totally different series obviously, and Portland is forced to play alot of Bayless/Miller together... I don't like the matchups from the beginning for Portland without homecourt, but now, I don't see how Portland can take more than 1 or 2 games while missing their best player/leader.... Aldridge and Camby should control the glass with Robin Lopez out for Phoenix to start the series, and that gives them some hope, but I like for Nash to get this thing over quickly if Roy truly is out for the entire series... Phoenix in 5 provided Roy doesn't play, Phoenix in 7 if this report is unfounded

  • #2 Dallas vs. #7 San Antonio - The Season series says 3-1 Dallas, but that's a little misleading since they played last night and the Spurs weren't exactly at full-steam... George Hill and Tony Parker aren't at 100% right now and that could hamper San Antonio in a big way going forward... For Dallas, you have to like the depth they've put together, and they now have Haywood to throw at Duncan with an experienced big who can really defend... This is really the series that most experts that I've seen are really split on... Frankly, the X-factors player wise (to me) are Manu and Caron Butler... If Manu is the SuperStar that he's been for the last 5-6 weeks, San Antonio is scary good... and if Butler can be an efficient 2nd/3rd option for Dallas, they can come at you from 100 different angles... I'm really torn on this one so I'm kind of flipping a coin, but I'll take the experience, and when all else fails, I'm taking Duncan and Popovich... Spurs in 7

Full Playoff Quick-hitters

Okay, while we're here, I'll go ahead and give my quick predictions for the rest of the way....

Cavs over Celtics in 5
Magic over Hawks in 7
Suns over Spurs in 7
Lakers over Nuggets in 6

Cavs over Magic in 6
Lakers over Suns in 7

Cavs over Lakers in 6

Undoubtedly... I'll be wrong on every series... but the NBA playoffs from the jump to the end are going to be ridiculously entertaining (with the exception of the East 1st round), and wildly even... I really think Cleveland is the best team in the league... and I'm not in love with LA at all (for example, I think full-strength Utah or Portland would give them fits, etc.)... I think the King gets his title this year... and let the circus begin after that... I'll obviously be checking in throughout... the NBA is fannnn-tastic... I love this game


No comments: