Saturday, November 12, 2011

11/12: Weekend Football Preview...

Not breaking down as many games as normal here... but here we go...
  • Oregon @ Stanford - 8:00 ABC - Obviously the biggest game on the slate here... Stanford absolutely lines up and mauls people, which is overlooked because they have Luck... Oregon has gotten some inconsistent quarterback play from Darren Thomas recently, and haven't been the juggernaut of last year... I think Stanford gets the bump from playing at home, lines up and beats up on the Oregon front 7 a bit, and win a high-scoring game...
  • Nebraska @ Penn State - Noon ESPN - I'll discuss this one from a football standpoint because that's the only thing I'm even semi-qualified to do... I think Nebraska is the better team... more explosive offense, and obviously with less distraction... Penn State has an elite defense, but with the way to struggle to score points, they'll need some big plays to win this one... I like Nebraska
  • Florida @ South Carolina - Noon CBS - This game matters for the SEC East despite how bad Florida has been... eventually, you'd have to think Florida will win one of these, and I'm calling my shot here... they take down the Lattimore-less Gamecocks... I just don't know how...
  • Auburn @ Georgia - 3:30 CBS - This line (Georgia -13) struck me as being way, way inflated... I'm not an Auburn guy this year because I don't think their defense is a strong unit, and with the drop-off in QB play from last year to this year (laughable), they haven't had the same ability to dial-a-score... that said, Michael Dyer will go north of 100 yards here and keep it close enough... I like Georgia and Aaron Murray here, but not to cover...
  • Michigan State @ Iowa - Noon ESPN2 - Huge game in the Big 10 that no one will talk about... Iowa is a different team at home and owns MSU (7 straight)... I can't pick Mark Dantonio on the road...
  • Michigan @ Illinois - 3:30 ESPN - This is a typical spot... Illinois off the bye and playing at home having lost 3 in a row... if they weren't coached by Ron Zook, I'd be worried about stepping into a buzzsaw... the key for me is whether Al Borges is actually WILLING to use Denard Robinson's strengths and put him in the shotgun where he's noticeably better, or whether he's insistent on running out of the I-formation... if it's the latter, Michigan loses...
NFL
  • Saints @ Falcons - 1:00 FOX - Huge game here.. I think the winner of this one takes control of the NFC South race... NO has won the last 2 in Atlanta, and they pose issues when they spread the Falcons secondary out... that said, the Atlanta defense has been much better in recent weeks, and if they can manage to keep everything in front of them, I feel good about the results... Michael Turner goes off here (120+), and Matt Ryan does enough... Falcons 27-21
  • Steelers @ Bengals - 1:00 CBS - Huge game here... I'm a bit of a Cincy believer... Andy Dalton is as good as advertised (really, better), and AJ Green is a stud... but the big thing for Cincy is that this defense is pretty good... Leon Hall is an elite corner, and if they get pressure on Ben (everyone does with that O-line), they'll make this interesting... that said, Pittsburgh is a team I'm still really high on, and Cincy hasn't come far enough for me to pick them...
  • Bills @ Cowboys - 1:00 CBS - I don't know what to make of the Bills... they were so explosive early in the year, and while Fred Jackson has continued to be spectacular, the Fitzpatrick/Johnson/Nelson trio has really slowed down... fortunately for them, Dallas' defense has been putrid the last couple weeks... this one comes down to the usual thing for the Cowboys... how does Romo play?... I think this is "good Romo" and I'm taking Dallas
  • Lions @ Bears - 4:00 FOX - Huge game for the wild-card situation in the NFC (yes, I'm conceding the division to the Pack)... Jay Cutler has been playing well recently, and the Lions aren't flying as high as they were the last time these teams met... I think it's as simple as how the Bears o-line plays... if Cutler is running for his life like a few weeks ago, they can't beat Detroit...
  • Giants @ Niners - 4:00 FOX - I'm SO conflicted here... on the one hand, this is a typical Eli Manning stinkbomb spot... but on the other hand, I still don't believe in Alex Smith, especially in a big game against a team that can pressure him... can I pick a tie?...
  • Pats @ Jets - 8:00 NBC - You won't see me picking against Tom Brady after 2 losses in a row... I won't do it... but if you're a Jets fan, I'd be rooting for them to open Sanchez up and let him wing it a bit here... the Pats secondary is legendarily bad...
  • Vikes @ Packers - 8:30 Monday ESPN - What an awful game... Pack by 20...
Enjoy it...

No comments: