Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Weekend Viewing Guide

Greetings all... let's hit all the action from the coming weekend in chronological order...

THURSDAY
  • Packers @ Lions - FOX 12:30 - The Lions game is relevant! It's a miracle!.... I think Detroit gets up for this one and it's competitive... they desperately need to pressure Rodgers here, and if they can do that with just their front 4, they have a chance... the other key is the resurgent Kevin Smith... if he looks like he did last week, they may have a legit running game for the first time all season... Green Bay wins, but close...
  • Dolphins @ Cowboys - CBS 4:15 - This looked like the stinker of the day a month ago (and it probably still is), but Miami is coming on pretty strong recently, and even the Matt Moore/Reggie Bush combo has been effective lately... I still think Dallas kinda cruises here, but they have the ability to lay an egg, and Miami isn't an embarrassment...
  • Texas @ Texas A&M - ESPN 8:00 - The last year of this rivalry in a conference format... not as high-profile as some games in the past here, but the scene in College Station is always electric, and especially against Texas at night...
  • 49ers @ Ravens - NFL Network 8:20 - Great game here... I (still) don't trust Alex Smith on the road, and he'll get a stiff test from the Ravens here... if Baltimore feeds the rock to Ray Rice? I think they win... if they decide to wing it with Joe Flacco 35 times? I like San Fran...

FRIDAY

  • Iowa @ Nebraska - Noon ABC - I honestly had no idea this game was on until I checked the schedule to write this... but it's not a bad matchup... Nebraska has an entertaining offense with Taylor Martinez and Rex Burkhead... they should hold serve here...
  • Arkansas @ LSU - 2:30 CBS - This is the biggest game of the weekend in either college or pro... I can't possibly pick against LSU in Baton Rouge, especially when Arkansas can't run the ball... but Bobby Petrino is a heckuva college coach offensively (I still hate him) and he and Tyler Wilson can give them a puncher's chance... in the end? I think LSU's defense wins them the game... in the range of 24-17 or so... competitive...
  • Pitt @ West Virginia - 7:00 ESPN - Not a compelling game when you initially look at it... but these teams HATE each other, and there's BCS implications when both have a shot at winning the Big East still...
  • Cal @ Arizona State - 10:15 ESPN - No one cares... but if you're awake and like a lot of points, this may be for you....

SATURDAY

  • Ohio State @ Michigan - Noon ABC - The best rivalry in all of sports (from this totally unbiased blogger)... the traditional noon kick-off, and Michigan hasn't won a game in this rivalry in over 2,000 days... I could write 5,000 words on this game alone probably, but know this... Michigan is favored, Michigan is at home, and I'm still full-scale terrified.... Go blue...
  • Georgia @ Georgia Tech - Noon ESPN - A big rivalry in the state in which I live... I like Georgia in the game... they're playing really well after winning 9 straight (if you throw out last week's look-ahead against Kentucky), and they have the athletes to play GT straight up, and take away the pitchman.... generally a good recipe against that offense... Tech can easily win the game, but they'll need a better-than-average Tevin Washington game to do it...
  • Alabama @ Auburn - 3:30 CBS - Bama is a big-time favorite, and Auburn simply can't match them... I'd be utterly shocked if Auburn won it outright, but in a rivalry game anything can happen...
  • Virginia Tech @ Virginia - 3:30 ABC - Wouldn't have mentioned this one at all if it wasn't for a spot in the ACC title game... but it is... I like the Hokies on the road...
  • Penn State @ Wisconsin - 3:30 ESPN - For the right to play in the Big 10 championship game... Wisconsin is the better team (and the best team in the conference IMO), they're playing at home, and they have about a million less distractions... Badgers by 2 touchdowns-plus...
  • Clemson @ South Carolina - 7:45 ESPN - Pure bragging rights game... but these teams hate each other (remember the brawl a few years ago?) and both are top-20 in nature... I think Clemson is the better team, but they reminded us all why people write them off yearly after that debacle against NC State last week... Close game either way...
  • Notre Dame @ Stanford - 8:00 ABC - Quietly good game... and since the Clemson/SC game doesn't "mean anything", I'll probably be watching this one since it's more compelling... Andrew Luck against a real defense... and I think he's angry...

SUNDAY

  • Vikings @ Falcons - 1:00 FOX - Christian Ponder! Toby Gerhart! It's the NFL on FOX!.... All kidding aside, this is a virtual must-win for the Falcons just because of the way the schedule lays out, and this is a game they absolutely should cruise in... if Peterson was healthy? I'd be worried because he can almost beat you by himself, but short of mailing it in, this is a game Atlanta should control...
  • Bills @ Jets - 1:00 CBS - the "best" of the early games (blech!)... both teams have a fighting chance at the playoffs, but the loser of this one is done... Buffalo is playing pretty badly at the moment, and NY is coming off an angering loss to Denver 10 days before... I like the well-rested Jets...
  • Bears @ Raiders - 4:00 FOX - This would've been more intriguing style-wise if Cutler was playing... but now it's riveting just to see if they can maintain their playoff positioning with Caleb Hanie... Oakland needs this one too, and I like them in the game because, well, Caleb Hanie is playing QB on the other side...
  • Pats @ Eagles - 4:15 CBS - The Eagles staved off elimination with their win over NYG (still need to win out really) but this is the end I think... if Vince Young plays, there's no way he's winning this game... if Vick plays? Puncher's chance, but the Pats are better...
  • Broncos @ Chargers - 4:15 CBS - Loser is pretty much eliminated in the AFC West race... I can't figure out San Diego at all... but no one can... my logic tells me that San Diego should win this game... so I'm picking them... and shielding myself from Tebow fans throwing things at me...
  • Steelers @ Chiefs - 8:20 NBC - Tyler Palko against the Steelers... yikes... this can get ugly in a hurry...

MONDAY

  • Giants @ Saints - 8:30 ESPN - I know it's not technically "weekend" but I figured I'd go ahead and hit this one... probably the best game of the non-Thanksgiving weekend... NYG is a team that you can't trust when they're favored and a team that's terrifying when they're the dog... I think NO is better, but if Eli has it going and they can get ANYTHING out of Jacobs, this will be a competitive game... Give me the Saints..

Enjoy...

No comments: