Tuesday, November 22, 2011

11/22: Patriot Domination, Sidney Crosby, etc.

Greetings...
  • Pats 34, Chiefs 3.... What do you really say here? Rob Gronkowski is an elite tight end, Tom Brady is a top-3 QB, Tyler Palko stinks, and that's about all I have... dominant from the jump...
  • Sidney Crosby is back... notice I'm mentioning hockey (and this early, no less) and very few things can do that, but when the league's biggest star misses 11 months with a concussion and comes back with a 4-point game?... worth a note... welcome back...
  • Justin Verlander wins the AL MVP... this one caught me off-guard initially and I can't figure out why... I'm not against the whole "pitcher winning MVP" thing in general, but I feel like the narrative got the best of us here... Verlander was dominant, great, etc. but it wasn't a Pedro in 1999-type season by any stretch (look at the peripherals, he was pretty lucky), and there were other deserving candidates (Bautista, Cabrera, Boston guys)... to win it as a pitcher, you have to be historically good, and I didn't think this qualified...
  • Arizona hires Rich Rodriguez... anyone who reads me knows I'm not the biggest fan, BUT I also believe Rodriguez himself wasn't the issue at Michigan, it was his defensive coordinatior hire of Greg Robinson... that said, I think he'll do a fantastic job at Arizona... no pressure, and he'll have them scoring in the 40's in no time...
  • The Texas Rangers sign Joe Nathan... the bigger story for me is that they're FINALLY going to start Neftali Feliz... it's really a hit-or-miss deal for the Rangers... if he returns to 2009 form, it's a steal... if he pitches like he did at times last year or gets hurt? Bust city... and I really think Mike Adams should be ready to step in if needed...
  • Hoops round-up... Break up the Michigan Wolverines.... forgive my "proud parent" take on this, but it's nice to see the hoops program settling in to top-flight status again... Tim Hardaway led the way with 21 points in yesterday's win over a good Memphis team... Duke got a career-high 18 from Austin Rivers in a 10-point over Tennessee... Kansas eeked by Georgetown at around 2 am EST last night thanks to some clutch FT shooting and a 20/12 game from Thomas Robinson (who I absolutely love)... and there were 2 blowouts in the CBE tourney with Cal blasting an undermanned Georgia team by 24, and Missouri blowing doors over a talent-deprived Notre Dame team... eesh...
What to watch for...
  • Michigan vs. Duke - ESPN 7:00 - I'm obviously psyched for this one... my 2 favorite college hoops teams (sorry Gonzaga) going at it as "Go Blue" tries to avenge last year's brutal tourney loss...
  • Memphis vs. Tennessee - ESPN2 2:00 - Nice afternoon game... and an in-state battle
  • UCLA vs. Kansas - ESPN 9:30 - I can smell UCLA's guards from here, and the Reeves Nelson suspension hurts them, but they might be able to hang if they can contain Thomas Robinson with the Wear twins and Josh Smith...
  • Missouri vs. Cal - ESPN2 10:00 - Sneaky good game late here... 2 ranked teams, and both coming off impressive, dominant wins...
And a final note.. RIP Greg Halman... you may not know the name, but the Seattle Mariners outfielder was fatally stabbed to death in the Netherlands early monday... he was only 24...

Until later...

No comments: