Tuesday, January 29, 2008

NCAA Final Four, etc

Had a little dialogue with my confidant Ryan last night and decided to come up (with a little research) with my Final 4 predictions officially.....First off I wanna say that stats are a little less applicable in College because they are skewed with bad out-of-conference games, etc. So I won't cite alot of them here...

  1. UCLA- first of all, this is the team I'd most hate to play in the country....best defensive team in the land (possibly challenged by Pitt or G-Town) and Kevin Love might be the best COLLEGE basketball player in the land (just has no upside). I feel like this team isn't necessarily the most talented, but they are extremely well-coached and their defensive-mindedness keeps them in every game. 
  2. Kansas- This team is absolutely loaded.....I'm slightly skeptical of them because of their previous tourney experience (bill self terrifies me) but too much talent (especially at the guards) force my hand here....the tournament is all about guards and they have a wealth of them plus the experience of Brandon Rush and a deep frontcourt; Also, there are some serious battles in the Big 12 that will prepare them for tourney-like defensive play
  3. Memphis- This team usually frightens me because of their conference schedule being so soft but Calipari went out of his way to schedule a wealth of sick non-conference games to prepare his team....Most athletic team in the country and they can press anyone at anytime plus have the ball-handlers and maybe the best Guard tandem in the Country in CDR and Derrick Rose.....Calipari is a very experienced mind who has this team running all over most people, and even though I have my doubts about their late-game close play (I.E. free throw shooting); I can't go away from them here
  4. Washington State- First off....I took forever with this pick because I feel like the other 3 teams were locks for me and there were a bunch of teams with flaws that wouldn't allow me to go with them here.....Washington State is clearly the least talented team on this list but probably the most experienced and are very well-coached. The scales tip for me because of the experienced and steady guard play they get out of Derick Low and Kyle Weaver...Also, I think this team sets up for the tournament because they excel in the half-court as well as on the defensive end
Barely Missed and Why:
  • Duke- Very talented..not enough size for me and Greg Paulus kills them regularly late in games....if one of the big guys stands up and plays with a pulse, they could be higher....also lack a go-to guy...Nelson almost gets there but he's a horrific FT shooter and has trouble against zone defenses because he is a mediocre shooter
  • North Carolina- extremely deep...but depth is also a curse for inability to go to a cut and dry rotation in the tournament.....Also, I don't think they have the go-to guy down the stretch (its not hansborough) and I dont believe they have the experience necessary....That said, they have the most athletes of anyone as well as going 10 and sometimes 11 deep has its advantages...wouldn't surprise me if they made the final 4
  • Georgetown- I originally picked them to make the Final 4 but was swayed by their lack of a go-to guy...also, I'm not a Roy Hibbert fan at all....I'm drawn to them b/c of their defense and depth at the guard sports...Elite 8 team
Almost posted a full-scale Tiger Woods vs. Roger Federer breakdown....I.e. Dr. Jack Ramsey....maybe another day

No comments: