Friday, June 26, 2009

NBA Draft 2009 Review, etc.

Greetings all...it was a crazy night in the Association so I'm going full steam ahead with the Draft...but first, the trade before the draft...
  • Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson to the Magic for Rafer Alston, Courtney Lee, and Tony Battie....On Orlando's side, this move not-so-coincidentally coincided with Hedo Turkoglu opting out of his deal and Vince will slide into his stead... I don't love the fit as Vince is much more of a jumpshooter than a creator at this point in his career, but he can still score the basketball and they didn't gut their nucleus to do it... Anderson was added to the deal late (at least publicly) but could be more than just an add-in, I like his game alot out of the Pac-10 and he could be a rotation guy if they give him a shot.... for New Jersey? Straight salary dump clearly...Courtney Lee is a solid, young wing but Skip will be relegated to bench duty behind Devin Harris and they gave up on Anderson too fast in my opinion...I'm not sure of New Jersey's plan to actually compete this year...but they at least rid themselves of VC's ridiculous contract...
To the draft itself...
  • Let's just say it was an eventful one....I'm going to run the 1st round in entirety with a few stray thoughts here and there in the 2nd....here we go
  1. LAC- Blake Griffin - We all knew it was happening....but they still haven't moved one of their other big people so there is still a pretty crazy logjam...this pick will be discussed forever so I won't bother...
  2. Memphis- Hasheem Thabeet - It was a poorly kept secret all week that they were going for Thabeet...I'm not in love with the pick but I can see the justifications...Marc Gasol isn't a defensive presence at all, and in theory he can defend the rim and get the ball to their lightning quick guards to run...
  3. OKC- James Harden - The most NBA-ready guard in the entire draft and OKC snatches him...Russell Westbrook was pretty adamant against drafting a PG (aka Rubio) and he got his wish...Harden can and will start right away and remains my co-leader for ROY with Griffin depending on each other's playing time...
  4. Sacramento - Tyreke Evans - Well, here's where things got crazy... Evans isn't a point guard in any way...he could potentially play a little there alongside a smaller 2-guard who could handle...but that's not what Kevin Martin is...I can't fathom the reason they'd leave all the PGs on the board to take Evans here when their significant need is someone to run the team....
  5. Minnesota- Ricky Rubio - Ah yes, the T-Wolves and my new favorite GM David Kahn (lol) they had 5 and 6 ... At 5, Ricky Rubio is a God-send on paper for the T-Wolves...he fits perfectly as the distributor for the future....but there are apparently SERIOUS concerns from he and his father about him playing there and he's claiming Europe is still an option...that's insane...if they spend the 5th pick on him and he goes to Europe again, that's a serious error...
  6. Minnesota- Jonny Flynn - Here's where things went ever more crazy....because both Tyreke Evans and James Harden were gone here (and my money says that Minnesota didn't fathom that), they were left without a plausible 2 guard option...and they went with Flynn....now I'm actually a supporter of his game and I think he'll be an NBA starter at PG...but there's no way on God's earth him and Rubio can play in the same backcourt....mostly on the defensive end...I'm hoping there is/was a trade in place...b/c otherwise its pretty indefensible to me...
  7. Golden State- Stephen Curry - First of all, I'm a big Curry fan...he has an elite skill (shooting) and has significant ball-handling skills and a passing upside....that said, Golden State has no place for him I wouldn't think...and all kinds of deals are being rumored...mostly a deal for Amare Stoudemire that may include this pick.... Curry and Ellis in the backcourt would be intriguing...but very, very, very small....then again, it's Nellie-Ball...
  8. New York- Jordan Hill - First, there is an ongoing rumor about Hill and Nate Robinson to Minnesota for Ricky Rubio....if that goes through, this analysis is void...but until then.... I like the pick for NY...Hill can rebound and is a pretty good athlete... the problem for the Knicks is that all of their PG targets were gone, but this was a good recovery...he'll start at the 4 if Lee leaves, and if he comes back, he'll probably play some center (or Lee will) and they can play together in that run-n-gun system...
  9. Toronto- Demar DeRozan- Well...at least they took a wing... I'm very wary of DeRozan's "bust" possibility b/c he can't shoot...like at all...but he's a great athlete and he is a position of extreme need for Toronto, I'd rather have Terrence Williams or even Gerald Henderson...but he addresses the need
  10. Milwaukee- Brandon Jennings- This likely signals the end of the Ramon Sessions era in Milwaukee...but most people thought that was imminent... Jennings has elite potential, is extremely quick, and can finish... he's slightly unknown b/c he went to Europe for a year of development, but he's a high-risk/reward pick that I'm okay with for them
  11. New Jersey- Terrence Williams- I had pegged Williams to NJ BEFORE they dealt Carter...and for some reason I looked twice at this one....he has all the skills but isn't consistent... and they suddenly have a gaping hole on the wing... They'll be significantly more pressure on him than there would have been with Carter there...but him and Courtney Lee could eventually be a nice wing tandem...
  12. Charlotte- Gerald Henderson- MJ takes a Duke wing....interesting....Wing is a need b/c after Raja and Wallace there isn't anything there...Henderson is a Larry Brown type guy b/c he'll certainly defend out there... All those Iverson rumors may have to be put down though...
  13. Indiana- Tyler Hansborough- Really? Psycho T is a lottery pick? I can't defend that...yes, he could be a decent asset for somebody down the road as an 8th/9th man... but that's not what lottery picks are for...he'll be a fan favorite in Indiana, but I can't give the thumbs up here...not enough of a skillset
  14. Phoenix- Earl Clark- On the record here..Clark has a huge upside...and he'll fit the system pretty well... but the cupboard is going to be pretty bare if they swing the Amare deal so he'll have increased pressure to perform early...
  15. Detroit- Austin Daye- He doesn't immediately strike me as a Detroit player...he's way too soft/skinny...and don't give me the Prince comparison please....Prince is an above-average defender...Austin Daye is far from that...but he has an elite skillset and extremely crazy length...if he puts on 40 pounds and toughens? Could be a boom...just don't see the fit right away
  16. Chicago- James Johnson- This pick made more sense when I heard Ty Thomas was on the trading block...He's a good athlete that can play the 3 and the 4, but I'm not a fan of his game really....in the same way I wasn't that of Thomas...the difference is Thomas can change the game on defense with his shot blocking and length...I don't see that from Johnson...
  17. Philly- Jrue Holiday- Interesting here....Holiday was going as high as 4 in some mock drafts and he slides all the way here...he wasn't good in college this year....read that again... but he has crazy athleticism and skills...I don't like the fit in that backcourt with Andre Miller a free agent and him and Lou Williams both being combo guards...
  18. Denver (via Minnesota for a future 1st rounder)- Ty Lawson- This one hurt me as Hawks fan...I thought he was falling in our laps... that being said, Denver steals one here...he's the heir apparent to Chauncey if they want to go that way and should be able to play 15 minutes a night right away...
  19. Atlanta- Jeff Teague- Remember yesterday when I posted the list of guys I didn't want? Teague was on that list....Yes, I hear you analysts saying it was a good value pick..and it very well might be... but I don't want a combo guard to be my point guard when the Hawks already have Jamal Crawford... OH! And by the way...I've heard at least 3 people call him "the worst defender in the entire draft"....Ladies and Gentlemen, Rick Sund!! I just don't get the point...teams just fail to realize that you need somebody to distribute the basketball...and the next 2 guys would have been much better fits...b/c they actually play point guard....I really, really hope I'm wrong and I wish Mr. Teague the best....
  20. Utah- Eric Maynor- The team with the 2nd best point guard in basketball ends up taking a point guard....you say why? I would've gone the DeJuan Blair route myself...but they need somebody to give Deron a blow and Maynor can play right away and run that team...
  21. New Orleans- Darren Collison- The team with the BEST PG in the world...ends up taking a point guard...sense a theme? Same thing here...Paul needs a backup...and here he is...I wouldn't have gone here if I was NO...too many holes elsewhere...
  22. Portland- Victor Claver- Uhhh...who? A typical Blazer stash-away...
  23. Sacramento- Omri Casspi- I keep reading about his toughness....and they already have Andres Nocioni? I'm confused...
  24. OKC (via Dallas)- BJ Mullens- Sam Presti apparently loves him...they were trying to jump up to get him all night...but I don't agree with Sam on this one...Mullens wasn't even a good college player..and I know he's an athletic 7-footer and they don't grow on trees... but I'll give it a "meh" due to bustability...lol
  25. Dallas (via OKC)- Rodrique Beaubois- I have no idea....can't even lie...but Mark Cuban (via his twitter) says this is the guy they've targeted all along....for what it's worth...
  26. Chicago- Taj Gibson- How many long, athletic forwards does one team need? I don't get this pick at all....
  27. Memphis- DeMarre Carroll- I really, really like him...he defends and does little things...he's definitely a role player, but he does the stuff that Rudy Gay doesn't do...a nice compliment...
  28. Minnesota- Wayne Ellington- Never been a fan of his game...but at least he has a skill (shooting) that Minnesota suddenly desperately needed after missing out on a swingman early and getting rid of Mike Miller....decent value this late
  29. New York (via LAL)- Toney Douglas- Big fan of Toney's since Jonesboro High...lol...he can flat-out score and should probably play right away for New York IF Nate Robinson gets dealth....and this pick signals that may be imminent IMO
  30. Cleveland- Christian Eyenga- I heard a "more raw" version of Mikael Pietrus....yikes lol...that's pretty raw...but they got a steady guy in the 2nd....
To the 2nd round....I'll just cover the picks I really liked....the rest? Ehh....
  • 35) Detroit- Dajuan Summers- Wow, a great value this late and I honestly think he'll be the guy that makes the rotation as a rookie instead of Austin Daye (who went at 15)...he's just more ready to play now...
  • 36) Memphis- Sam Young- Yes, he's 24 years old...but he'll play right away and you don't get that kind of guy in the 2nd that often...
  • 37) San Antonio- DeJuan Blair- I seriously can't even fathom him falling this far...There were a few places in the high teens that I could have seen him going to and there's no way I would've taken Hansborough over him...either way, RC Buford and company stage another coup here...he's going to be in the rotation for a title contender this year
  • 38) Sacto (via Portland)- Jon Brockman- 4 straight picks that I liked...Brockman is a tough guy who was vastly underrated in college and will bring toughness
  • 43) New Orleans (via Miami)- Marcus Thornton- I don't love his game but I like the fit alot...New Orleans needs a pure scorer off the bench and that's pretty much Thornton's only skill...
  • 44) Houston (via Detroit)- Chase Budinger- I'm high on Chase...In my original mock, I had Chase in the high teens/low 20's...Houston gets a versatile wing that can put the ball in the basket and shoot it...
  • 46) Cleveland- Danny Green- John Hollinger had Danny Green #12 on his entire board...and I never saw him below 35 in any mock...he's a steal right now at this spot...in fact, I'd bet my life he makes that roster...
  • 49) Atlanta- Sergiy Gladyr- I hate, hate, hate, hate this pick... not because I know much about him...but because Patty Mills, Goran Suton, and some others were on the board....They took a combo in round 1, traded for Jamal Crawford and then take a thinnish scoring 2-guard....seriously?
  • 50) Utah- Goran Suton- I disagree with the Kosta Koufos comparison I keep seeing...Suton is much more physical and a superior rebounder....I don't know if he sticks in Utah, but I think he sticks somewhere
  • 55) Portland- Patty Mills- Just too much value here to not put this on the list...I know Portland has about 19 guys for 12 spots...but he's better than the 55th player in this draft..by a long shot...
Well that's it...I won't do team grades...b/c...I think they're dumb....So hopefully you get some info out of this...

No comments: