Friday, September 3, 2010

9/3: Football Weekend Preview!

Greetings... As a general rule here... I'm not covering Florida vs. Miami-Ohio... because unless you're a Florida fan... you don't care... First? The best game of the long weekend...

  • Boise State vs. Virginia Tech in Washington DC (Monday, 8:00 ESPN) - Boise gets tested right out of the gate by a fast, fierce, physical VT team... I honestly have no idea what to make of this one... Va Tech has the right kind of attack to take the ball from Kellen Moore and pound it with Ryan Williams and Darren Evans... but it's tough to ignore 20 starters back for Boise from an undefeated team... gun to my head? I like Va Tech in the game because it's in DC, and they are just more talented from top-to-bottom, but I really, really like Boise, and in a one-game scenario, they are clearly capable of winning...
To the Saturday slate... again, only covering competitive (-ish) games...
  • Oregon State @ TCU (ESPN 7:45 pm) - Best game of the day for Saturday... Oregon State gets to play a weird "giant"-killer this year while playing TCU and Boise... I like OSU's chances in both games, but especially this one... The Rodgers' brothers will run wild on a rebuilding TCU defense, and I think it'll be too much for TCU... I like Oregon State...
  • LSU vs. North Carolina (ABC 8:00 PM) - This is the Chick-fil-a kickoff classic game in Atlanta... and would've been a bigger draw... if UNC was at full-strength... there are as many as 14 UNC players that may be held out of this one was eligibility concerns... including most (or all) of their defensive stars... gotta pick LSU with all those question marks...
  • UConn @ Michigan (ABC or ESPN2 3:30 pm) - There are only 2 ranked vs. ranked games on Saturday... this may be the next best game... alot of people are on the UConn bandwagon as a talented team that really came together late in 2009 and going to Michigan isn't the task it used to be... all that pressure/spotlight on Rodriguez will get hotter should they lose this one, and the trainwreck element is in place with Rich Rod naming a 3-headed QB monster on his final depth chart for this game... I like Michigan in the game (yes, I'm an unabashed homer), but I'm not comfortable... at all
  • UCLA @ Kansas State (ABC or ESPN2 3:30 pm) - Kansas State is a terrible non-conference team... and I'm high on UCLA... put that together? I love the Bruins... especially when considering the Big 12 is down IMO
  • Washington @ BYU (CBS College Sports 5:00 pm) - the best non-televised (major network, I mean) game... Jake Locker takes his troops to BYU, and I like BYU in the game... Washington has been a "sleeper" for alot of people, but I still see a pretty bad roster outside of Locker, and while that certainly matters, BYU is always mature, well-coached, and physical
  • Wisconsin @ UNLV (11:00 Versus) - I'm including this only because I think it's the "most likely" (still highly highly unlikely) stumbling block for a ranked team... long road trip, late kick-off... eh... I can't do it... Badgers cruise
And now... for the return of your favorite running segment... The picks... where I take semi-educated forays into the Vegas lines...
  • Colorado State +12.5 over Colorado - I don't trust Dan Hawkins... at all... and Colorado shouldn't lay 12 points to anyone... much less their in-state rival...
  • UCLA +2 over Kansas State - As stated above... UCLA wins this game outright
  • Oregon State +13.5 over TCU - This is an outrageous line in my opinion... various systems have this between 3 and 5 points for TCU... and I honestly think OSU wins the game outright...
I'd take 2-1...

Enjoy the weekend... real, live football is here...

No comments: