Tuesday, September 7, 2010

9/7: A crazy (long) weekend...

Greetings all... it's been a long one... those are the words I'd use as someone who was under the weather to say the least... Alas, here we go with the tales from the weekend that was...
  • Boise leads the way... 33-30 and they are alive for the National Title (in theory)... I picked against them for several reasons (3000 mile journey, virtual home game for VT, thought VT would pound them into submission, etc.), and was proven wrong... they held the Hokie run game to only 128 yards, even outgaining them on the ground... got a fantastic performance from Kellen Moore, who just apparently doesn't throw INTs, and stepped up big down the stretch... their first quarter dominance was special to see, but I was surprised that they bounced back from the VT comeback, normally, the team that gets flipped like that doesn't find the 2nd wind... big win for Boise
  • Ole Miss loses to Jacksonville State... I saw the last 2 drives... so I won't claim to know the ebb and flow... but when you give up 49 points to an FCS team... that seems to be the problem.. I don't understand the venom toward Masoli (as far as on-field performance at least) that I've heard... he played decently.. and led them to TDs in both OT's... get a stop...
  • TCU holds serve... I was wrong in picking Oregon State (although they covered) and I misjudged how good the TCU defense still seems to be... they held Oregon State to under 300 total yards, and were good enough to overcome their best player (QB Andy Dalton) playing below his normally lofty standards.. was impressed by them... and it's definitely a debate for me about how Boise can be slotted ahead of TCU if both run the table... the Mountain West is leaps and bounds better than the WAC (better than the Big East too, which I've said repeatedly), and I'm not sure Va Tech itself in Week 1 is enough to overcome the scheduling difference in conference... just a thought
  • LSU almost blows a 20-point lead to undermanned UNC... the best sign for Butch Davis in weeks is how that team battled down the stretch without 7 defensive starters, and almost beat LSU... I blame "the Hat", Les Miles... they should've won that game by 3 touchdowns... UNC was outclassed from the jump, and LSU let down...
  • Shoelace... Don't know what I'm talking about? That's the nickname for Michigan QB Denard Robinson... who took the first snap of Michigan's 30-10 drubbing of UConn, and didn't know when he'd come out... no one did... but he basically played himself into a full-time role with that performance... he sat for 2 plays in the 3rd quarter with an injury, but the "3-headed QB monster" rumors are buried for the time being... I could go into to much greater detail about this game if it was relevant for anyone else but me... but just know that Denard broke the Michigan QB rushing record, and was 1 completion away from breaking the Big House completion % record... that's insanity... there are questions on defense (still) but the offense looks to be in good hands... at least for one week...
Non-CFB stuff...
  • The Braves lead is a half-game... panic time? Not quite there... but needless to say, I'm looking more at the wild-card lead than the division lead... I'm glad Hudson is on the mound tonight...
  • TJ Houshmandzadeh signs with Baltimore... it was a bit of surprise release by Seattle... and a more surprising (to me at least) signing with Baltimore... I can think of 10 other teams that needed receiver help more... but it could be a good fit.. and suddenly Flacco has a million weapons... also helps for when (not if) Boldin goes down for a couple of weeks
  • Tiger Woods is one of Pavin's Ryder Cup picks... the shocker of the century! Come on... Eldrick was going...
What to watch for....
  • Braves/Pirates - SportSouth 7:00 - Hudson/McDonald - The stopper takes the hill... can't afford to lose the series to Pittsburgh, that means you need a W
  • 30 for 30 - Tupac/Tyson 8:00 ESPN - This is going to be awesome I have a feeling...
  • US Open Tennis - All day - ESPN2 - If you like tennis...
Enjoy...

No comments: