Saturday, January 22, 2011

NFL Championship Sunday Preview

Greetings all... Let's get to the games.... 58-47-3 on the year (1-3 last week) for THE PICKS!
  • Green Bay @ Chicago - 3:00 FOX - 2 old-school rivals mixing it up... let's break it down simply... Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers and Chicago has Jay Cutler... my discomfort with Cutler is well-documented... he's always capable of throwing the ball to the opposition, and while I like Matt Forte, I'm not sure Mike Martz can build a capable game-plan around the run game... add it up and I don't trust the Bears offense to match points with GB... now that I've said that, we all need to take a deep breath on Green Bay... granted, I picked them to go to the Super Bowl preseason, and Rodgers played as well as I've ever seen a QB play (really... ever) last week... but this team still only won 10 games, they have no running game, they lost an elite TE for the season 4 months ago, and they're on the road in hostile territory... I can't, in good conscience, pick Cutler in this type of spot, so I'll reluctantly take GB -3.5 and outright... but I expect a single-digit outcome either way here...
  • NY Jets @ Pittsburgh - 6:30 CBS - Really nice game... I'm high on Pittsburgh (as always) due to the normal reasons... I love Mike Tomlin, I love that defense, and I think Ben Roethlisberger is legit great in big games/moments... add in the homefield, and it's a pretty mounting case for Pittsburgh... on the Jets end, they played fantastically last week, containing Brady and company with a million DBs, Sanchez made plays when he needed them, and they generally outcoached NE... I even like that NYJ is playing the deferential card in the media to Pittsburgh this week b/c you don't want to anger the Steelers... I like what Rex has done.. I really do... but are we forgetting that 1) Pittsburgh is the better team, 2) Pittsburgh is at home, 3) Pittsburgh has the better (and SB-winning) QB, and 4) they are somehow getting less hype than the other team...?.... I love the Steelers here... Add them at -3.5 to my picks as well....

Enjoy the big-time Sunday...

3 comments:

Bring Vlad back said...

I know you hate Joe Buck, but CBS coverage was awful last night. No-one could speak properly - even back in the studio, the lisping Bill Cowpat was the only voice of reason. Made Fox's coverage look very, very good.
Aikman continues to lead the competition in all he does. Fox did their homework, and CBS and Simms felt like an 85 year old man doing 35 on the highway.

Thank goodness Fox gets the game in two weeks - and I hate everything Fox stands for...

Bring Vlad back said...

PS Enjoyed both games a lot.
Loved the Jets getting it stuck to them.
Loved the Bears unraveling with the gutless Cutler.

Brad said...

Agreed on CBS coverage... I can't stand Buck to be sure, but CBS definitely didn't provide a quality product last night.... that being said? I'd rather listen to Nantz/Simms for 100 hours straight than listen to Berman stumbling all over himself on ESPN post-game...