Wednesday, June 22, 2011

NBA Draft Mini-Preview...

Greetings all... I'll be doing a massive write-up/live-blog on the Draft on Thursday night... so we're taking it easy on the preview... enjoy...
  • Who's number one? Mr. Irving for me.... I think it's a point guard league more than it's ever been, and I can't fathom a world in which Irving FAILS in the league (barring Jay Williams-type injury of course)... he has all the tools, and while he may not have the upside of Rose or Wall, he's an upper-tier PG in the league... Derrick Williams isn't a bad consolation prize, but I wish he'd realize he's a power forward...
  • Who's the best international player? Give me Enes Kanter... the biggest crapshoot of all for anyone who doesn't watch Euroleague (cough, me) is projecting these international guys... you're basically going off scouting reports, trusting the people you choose to trust, and deciding which traits you value more... Kanter seems to be the most talented guy... he doesn't have the question marks of Valanciunas (who won't be over for a year or 2), he can actually shoot a basketball (unlike Jan Vesely), and Biyombo's ceiling is Serge Ibaka, and while that's a helluva ceiling? He can't play offense... like at all...
  • What do you think of Jimmer? I actually like Jimmer's upside... he's the best shooter in the draft, he can create his own shot (comparisons to Redick are warranted because they are both 1) white, and 2) great shooters, but Redick is a natural 2-guard who can actually defend someone, Jimmer has to have the ball and is a much better creator), and in the right system, I think he can be a good pro... can he guard? nope... but neither can Steve Nash... I'd love to see him fall to Phoenix, spend a year or 2 under Nash, and then get unleashed in that type of system... in the wrong spot, he could easily fail...
  • What about the Hawks? Well... they shed their first rounder in the Hinrich/Crawford deal... so that's out... perfect world? I'd like to see them go out, spend $3 million, and buy a late first/early 2nd rounder and target someone like Jeremy Tyler who has huge upside as a big... but in reality, I can see them taking a college senior or a Euro at 48... blah...
  • Who has the keys to the draft? Always fun to see where the pendulum swings... I think Cleveland is taking Irving, and while David Kahn is insane, I think he either just takes Williams or deals the pick... leaving Utah with the keys... I don't know where they go... I'd probably take Brandon Knight there, but if they don't? chaos will ensue...
  • Guys I like: Brandon Knight (upside, but kind of a combo guard), Kawhi Leonard (huge hands, great motor), Alec Burks, Jordan Hamilton, Chris Singleton (best defender in the draft), Tristan Thompson, Kenneth Faried (can't teach an elite skill like rebounding), Tyler Honeycutt, Norris Cole, Darius Morris, Jeremy Tyler, Shelvin Mack, Jimmy Butler, Keith Benson, David Lighty (lock-down defender, role player)
  • Guys I don't like: Kemba Walker (not a point guard, not a great shooter), Jan Vesely (can't shoot at all, screams of a euro Stro Swift), the Morris twins, Iman Shumpert (although he has huge defensive upside), Marshon Brooks, Trey Thompkins (he's fat), Josh Selby, Tobias Harris
Should be fun... stay tuned on Thursday for full blow-out coverage... one of the best nights of the year...

No comments: