- Baylor wins the women's basketball national title by crushing Notre Dame 80-61. Brittney Griner put up 26 points, 13 boards, and 5 blocks to key a ridiculous 40-0 undefeated season for Baylor. That's absurd, and I know that most people that read this are likely unmoved by the story, but when you win 40 straight games, have the best player in the country (a 6'8 post beast that dunks, no less), and win the title by nearly 20 points over a 1-seed, it's big news.
- The NFL is going with Nike next season. Did you know that? I had actually forgotten this until yesterday when they revealed all 32 team uniforms, but there you have it. Uni Watch!
- Red Sox closer Andrew Bailey is having thumb surgery. Already. Bailey is a tremendous pitcher when he's out there, but the injury past is hilariously checkered, and he's set to miss 3-4 months now with this one. I would be moving Daniel Bard back into the role if I was Boston, but they seem set on him as a starter, and will go with Mark Melancon (likely) or Alfredo Aceves in the 9th. Godspeed.
- NBA Check - The Spurs' offense is a gauntlet at times. After a 125-90 road win, it's easy to say that, but it really is a thing of beauty to watch. 6 guys in double-figures and 11 guys with 5 or more points in this one led by Patty Mills with 20 off the bench in 20 minutes, and they even got to rest Duncan and Parker (23 min each). Indiana stormed past the Knicks 112-104 on the strength of a crazy 40-17 4th quarter advantage. Danny Granger led the way with 27 for Indy and Melo had 39 for the Knicks. The Heat clinched a playoff spot with a win over Philly last night. Lebron had 41 on 15-25 FG (and took 13 FTs) to lead the Wade-less attack. And finally, DeMarcus Cousins had the best game of his career last night with 41 points and 12 boards for the Kings, but Sacto fell at home to Phoenix on the strength of 20 and 10 from the wildly underrated Marcin Gortat and 18 points/12 dimes from Steven Q. Nash.
What to watch for on Wednesday....
- The Masters Par 3 Contest - ESPN 3:00 - If you didn't know yet (somehow), the Masters start on Thursday, which means the Par 3 contest on Wednesday. I can smell the azaleas.
- MLB Opener - Cards @ Marlins - ESPN 7:00 - Lohse vs. Johnson - The MLB season "starts" (don't forget there have already been 2 games played in Japan) with the defending champs taking on the new-look Marlins. Josh Johnson is the undisputed key for Miami and we'll learn something about him when the lights come on for real tonight.
- NBA - Bobcats @ Hawks - SportSouth 7:30 - The league's worst team shows up in Atlanta. Hallelujah.
- NBA - Thunder @ Heat - ESPN2 8:00 - Wade missed last night, so that dampens things a bit, but if there was ever a potential Finals preview, this is likely it.
- NBA - Lakers vs. Clippers - ESPN2 10:30 - The battle of LA.