- Braves 5, Nats 1 - Kris Medlen is ridiculous. Since moving into the rotation, he's now 4-0 with a sub-1.00 ERA and last night was no different, throwing 7 innings of shut-out baseball. Atlanta scratched out 3 insurance runs in the top of the 9th and Kimbrel utterly slammed the door with a dominant, 3-strikeout inning. This was a huge win for any chance at the division title, and while a 6-game deficit won't be easy to overcome, an 8-game one would've been pure disaster.
- Speaking of the Nationals, there are reports that Strasburg will likely miss his last 2-3 starts due to the innings cap. I'm beyond tired of hearing/discussing this but in a race for the division, it's relevant information. The bigger issue? His lack of playoff presence. That said, I actually think Washington could still win the NL without him when you consider how good Zimmerman and Gonzalez have been.
- Adrian Beltre hit 3 homers last night for Texas in a 12-3 win over Baltimore. He continues to be the most underrated 3B in baseball, and honestly may be the best overall player at that position in the big leagues with apologies to David Wright.
- Bartolo Colon was suspended for 50 games due to PED use. There are so many jokes here to be made about his physique and the affects of PEDs, but in the end, it's not surprising since he basically came back from the dead to pitch effectively the last 2 seasons. It's still a blow to Oakland's playoff chances though, despite their pitching depth.
What to watch for...
- Braves @ Giants - SportSouth 10:15 - Hanson vs. Zito - Tommy pitched well in his first outing off the DL despite some command issues, and this Giants offense isn't too potent. Could be a huge series for the Braves.
- Cardinals @ Titans - Preseason - ESPN 8:00 - Nothing quite like preseason football from a disinterested standpoint (at least for me), but somebody cares...