- Oregon beat up on Kansas State last night in the Fiesta Bowl by a final count of 35-17. The Ducks took their foot off the gas late, but still ran for 200+ yards including 143 from Kenjon Barner that keyed the victory. I thought the biggest factor in the game (besides speed) was Collin Klein's performance, and he was underwhelming, throwing 2 interceptions, going 17/32 for 151 yards, and only rushing for 30 yards. Big win for Oregon, and now all eyes shift to Chip Kelly and the NFL.
- Speaking of the NFL, reports are circling that Kansas City is going to hire former Philly HC Andy Reid. This is just a weird situation in general, as their GM Scott Pioli is universally hated and no one can believe he wasn't fired... so he brings in Andy Reid?! I don't get this one at all, but maybe Reid will be reinvigorated in a new place.
- And in a final NFL coaching note, Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien will remain in Happy Valley after being courted by the Cleveland Browns. He did an insanely good job with that undermanned PSU team this year, and it's a huge win for them that he's staying to lead them through this tough time.
- NBA Roundup - In the early game, New York blasted San Antonio 100-83. The Spurs had won 7 in a row, but ran into a buzzsaw here, and Pop called the dogs off in the 4th quarter. New York dominated on the glass (48-35) and held the Spurs to just 36% FG and 26% from 3-point land in the win. And later, Minnesota went into Denver and stole an impressive road win by a 101-97 tally. The biggest key was the T-Wolves controlling the glass 52-39, and that helped them to overcome just 44% shooting. Both teams had 6 guys in double-figures and the game-high scorer was just 17 points (a tie between Shved and Barea). Weird game.
- On the college hardwood, there was a wild one played in Tucson between Colorado and Arizona. The Buffs' Sabatino Chen lofted a buzzer-beating bank shot to win the game in regulation... but it was overturned by an official video review, and Arizona went on to win the game 92-83 in overtime. It was one of the crazier reviews you'll ever see, as some angles looked like the shot was out of his hand, and others didn't, but Arizona seized the game after that and Colorado was shell-shocked. At any rate, wildly entertaining game, as the teams combined for 99 points in the 20-minute second half, and we'll see this match-up again.
What to watch for on Friday (in chronological order)...
- 7:30 - NBA - Hawks @ Pistons (SportSouth) - Rematch of the 2-OT battle from last week, and hopefully Larry Drew will design something to stop Will Bynum!
- 8:00 - NCAAF - Cotton Bowl - #9 Texas A&M vs. #11 Oklahoma (FOX) - Probably the most entertaining of the non-BCS games this year, with two top-11 teams facing off and the Heisman winner featured. No result would surprise me here, and it's a fun game.
- 8:00 - NBA - Bulls @ Heat (ESPN) - Chicago will at least guard well in this one.
- 10:30 - NBA - Lakers vs. Clippers (ESPN) - The battle of LA re-engages and this time, Steve Nash is involved. Really fun game.
Enjoy! And don't worry, I'll have an NFL preview ready by Sunday... Stay tuned!