Monday, February 2, 2009

A Great Super Bowl....

Well, this one had everything.... Memorable plays, back-and-forth action, questionable calls, ballsy decisions....everything....Let's get to it....in bullet form lol
  • First, the better team won...yes, that's a cliche...but Pittsburgh really dominated the action from the jump...Some crucial things cost Pittsburgh a chance at a more dominant victory....their special teams, lack of a short yardage (and goal line) run game, and some conservative decision-making from Tomlin.....
  • Arizona's defense played an underrated game....yes, Pittsburgh scored 27 points....but take away the Harrison INT Return....20 points is pretty solid....Final drive aside....
  • Speaking of Harrison....I twittered that his INT return was the greatest play I had seen in a Super Bowl live in my lifetime....I'm going to stand by it.... He broke at least 5 tackles....he went 100 yards as a linebacker...he HAD to get in or it would have been for nothing since the clock ran out...it was a HUGE momentum swing (in a game later decided by 4 points) in that it was literally a 10-14 point swing....if he drops that, Arizona kicks the field goal and its a 10 point swing...if he slips or is sent on a blitz, Boldin catches it....14 point swing....just huge....
  • I'm hearing alot of Ben Roethlisberger MVP anger.....really? Yes, he led the drive...and yes, we are conditioned to give the QB credit...but Holmes was EVERYWHERE....9 for 131 and the game-winning TD means MVP unless Ben was just dealing it around....and he wasn't...Heath Miller had 5 catches....after that...Hines Ward with 2...
  • 2 "over-rated" referee decisions....#1) the "roughing the holder"....yes that was the weirdest thing I've seen in a while lol....BUT they held Pittsburgh to 3 anyway.....so no real swing.... and #2) The fumble/incompletion call at the end on Warner....I thought it was incomplete, but no outrage at the fumble call.....and they had 5 seconds from midfield...BUT....the fact that they didn't officially review that is a travesty....what are you waiting on!?....That said, Pittsburgh had the edge in calls....but at least they called the tremendous holding in the end zone for that safety....
  • 7 catches, 127 yards, and 2 TD.....Larry Fitzgerald's line....umm....put the debate to rest....he's the best in the game.....all you need to see is the Fade-TD on the last drive....
  • But, with the talk of Fitzgerald.....and he's fantastic....I'm not sure he was the best player for the Cardinals last night....Darnell Dockett was absolutely everywhere....playing the Nose and just consistently blowing up the interior O-Line of Pittsburgh....He may have gotten my MVP vote had I had one (if they won, lol)....2 sacks and 6 tackles from your guy on the nose is pretty ridiculous....and he must've had another 3 or 4 QB hurries/hits
  • And while we're on the Cards...Kurt Warner had the worst 377 yd, 3 Td performance I can remember.....lol..... At no point did it seem like he was playing well....every time they had a big down and distance or a big spot, he seemed to wilt....yes, he hit Fitzgerald for the long TD across the middle....but he simply threw a 10 yard slant that Fitzgerald housed....and I'm pretty sure I can throw a fade to that man...lol....Not saying he was abysmal....but I really wasn't impressed by the "Hall of Famer"!!!!
  • Okay so I missed on the -7 line...but I really felt like I had a pretty good handle on the game....I had pitt scoring 26 points (they scored 27) and I had Arizona going for 17 (as they sat on 16 until their final drive)....not THAT bad....
  • There was a -300 bet in Vegas that Gary Russell WOULDN'T score last night....seems like a slam dunk right? (was portrayed as so on the BS Report lol).....guess not?

It was certainly an epic game....one of the better SB's I have seen....so I can't hate on it....Arizona, as a 9-7 team, showed out....but too much experience, too much "moxy" (okay I had to lol) on the other end....Congrats to the terrible towels....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great blog brad