- Miami 107, Atlanta 87 - The Hawks lost by 20, and the score wasn't indicative of how far these two teams were apart last night. Miami led by 30+ in the 3rd quarter, were able to limit Lebron and Wade to 30 minutes or less, dominated the glass 52-38, and held the Hawks to under 39% from the field. There was one solitary Hawk who played an above-average game (compared to their ability) and that was Willie Green. I can't even talk about this.
- Phil Mickelson won at Pebble Beach yesterday after shooting a ridiculous final-round 64 to take the title. It's crazy that the 2nd best (and 2nd most famous) player in the world winning a tournament with a crazy-low final round can be overshadowed, but Tiger's 75 managed to do it. Insert the "is he done forever? is he back?" comment here. No idea anymore.
- NBA Box Score Check - Rajon Rondo notched one of the most impressive lines of the season with a 32-point, 10-rebound, 15-assist triple double in Boston's 95-91 win over Chicago yesterday. Maybe an All-star snub explosion? I'd say so. Speaking of underachieving older teams with talent, the Lakers got a go-ahead bucket from Kobe with 4 seconds left to beat Toronto by 2 up in Canada. Kobe finished with 27 points. Ho-hum. And finally, Utah beat Memphis on the road led by Al Jefferson (21 and 15) and Gordon Heyward (23 points on 8-12 FG) to break a 3-game losing streak.
- AJ Burnett to the Pirates? There are widespread rumors of a Yankees/Pirates deal in the works to send Burnett to the NL. AJ Burnett has been a disappointment based on that ludicrous contract, but the pile-on effect has happened to the point that people believe he can't pitch at all. That's simply not true. Factor in the move to the NL and a change of scenery? I'd like the move for any pitching-starved team provided the Yankees pick up most of the money as rumored.
- The Lakers brought in Gilbert Arenas for a workout over the weekend. This was rumored to be happening for weeks, and finally did, but the takeaway is that no deal was signed. It's still pretty crazy to me that he's unsigned, but no one is sure he can play anymore, and he's certifiable.
What to watch for on Monday...
- NCAAB - #2 Syracuse @ #23 Louisville - ESPN 7:00 - Can't argue with two ranked teams and the #2 team in a hostile road environment against a team capable of beating them.
- NCAAB - #10 Kansas @ Kansas State - ESPN 9:00 - In-state rivals, and because this game is in Manhatten, K-State can certainly win here.
- NBA - T-Wolves @ Magic - NBA-TV 7:00 - Who wins the rebounding battle between Love and Howard?
- NBA - Suns @ Warriors - NBA-TV 10:30 - No defense. Lots of points.