- OKC 124, Denver 118 (OT) - What a game this was. Kevin Durant was an unstoppable scoring machine all night long, shooting 19 of 28 FG, 5 of 6 from three, and 8-10 on FT to notch a career-high 51 points to go along with 8 boards and 4 steals. As crazy as that line is individually, the Zombies also featured Russ Westbrook going off for 40 points (on 29 shots, but that's another debate) AND a triple-d0uble from Serge Ibaka with 14 points, 15 rebounds, and an insanely dominant 11 block shots. The triumvirate of statistical milestones (50 points, 40 points, and a triple double for 3 guys) has never happened in NBA history. Yep. On Denver's end, they got big games from Afflalo (27 points, 7 boards, 5 assists) and Andre Miller (21 and 10) to lead the way, but they couldn't overcome the Zombies' explosion even on a night where they had 4 bench guys in double-digits.
- The Jeremy Lin Show rolls on. In his national TV debut, Lin went off, yet again, for 28 points and 14 assists to lead NYK to a home win over Dallas. The kid made multiple plays down the stretch including 2 big-time triples in the 4th quarter, and it's officially to the point of crazy for this story. On the flip side, he did commit 7 turnovers, but, after reading through some statistical evidence over the weekend, his turnover %, while high, isn't astronomical, and his total TO's are inflated by the shear volume of usage he's had to this point. The Knicks got 15 points from JR Smith in his debut, but be aware, he took 16 shots in 30 minutes to do it, and that's generally unacceptable when you're not a focal point of the offense. JR Smiff lives!
- And one note from the insane/obscure part of the NBA. Milwaukee's Ersan Ilyasova posted 29 points and a ridiculous 25 rebounds in the Bucks' win over New Jersey last night. For reference, Ilyasova has career averages of 9 points and 6 rebounds a game. That is all.
What to watch for on Monday...
- NBA - Hawks @ Bulls - ESPN 4:00 - There's not a whole lot better than two playoff teams playing a 4:00 pm tip-off on a Monday afternoon.
- NBA - Celtics @ Mavericks - TNT 8:00 - Holiday TNT action! Dallas coming off that loss in NYK and on a back-to-back here, but they're the better team.
- NCAAB - #10 Baylor @ Texas - ESPN 9:00 - Baylor dropped a home game over the weekend, and there's some concern with them, especially going on the road in this spot. Texas, coached by the hilariously bad Rick Barnes, are underwhelming this year, but still talented.
- NBA - Blazers @ Lakers - TNT 10:30 - Lost in the shuffle of the madness on the court yesterday was Kobe basically saying "trade him or don't" to management about Pau Gasol. And, for once, I agree with Kobe. Yep.