- The Dominican Republic won the WBC yesterday. If you've read this space, you know that I've barely mentioned it, but the DR was really impressive in mowing down the competition. Big-ups to them.
- The "First Four" kicked off in Dayton last night to start the NCAA tournament. St. Mary's won the only of the two games that matters with a 67-54 win over Middle Tennessee State. Matthew Dellavedova is one of the best guards in the country, and he showed that again with 22 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists in the win. I'm taking them to beat Memphis, so this game was encouraging.
- Kentucky lost to Robert Morris in the NIT last night. Robert. Morris. The big story from the night was Calipari making some disparaging comments about his team's lack of discipline, etc., but I don't know if this was even a surprise. They've basically been wretched since the day that Nerlens Noel went down, and even if them, they weren't exactly lighting the world on fire. If you play the "one-and-done" game, you can't afford to miss, and Cal missed this year with the exception of Noel. The bright side? They're going to be loaded next year if everybody stays.
- The Denver Nuggets increased their winning streak to 13 games with a mega-impressive 114-104 road win in Oklahoma City. They beat up OKC on the glass, and managed to hold the Thunder (at home) to under 45% shooting on the night. Andre Miller exploded for 20 points, 9 assists, and 7 rebounds off of the bench, and his backcourt counterpart Ty Lawson went for 25 points on the night. Really nice win for Denver.
What to watch for on Wednesday...
- 6:40 - NCAAB "First Four" - #16 LIU Brooklyn vs. #16 James Madison (TRU) - Two 16-seeds battling it out for the right to get housed in Round one. Love it.
- 7:30 - NBA - Bucks @ Hawks (SportSouth) - The first of four games with Milwaukee in the next few weeks. Interesting scheduling.
- 8:00 - NBA - Nets @ Mavs (ESPN) - I don't even know what to say about this one, to be honest.
- 9:00 - NCAAB "First Four" - #13 La Salle vs. #13 Boise State (TRU) - This is actually a decent game. La Salle gained pub early in the year when they destroyed Butler, but I actually like BSU in the game.