Wednesday, May 5, 2010

5/5: 114-71

This could get ugly...
  • 114-71... That was an NBA playoff game final score last night... I'm not going to give you any numbers or stats.... just know this... the Hawks absolutely quit last night... Josh Smith quit, Joe Johnson quit, Jamal Crawford quit... as soon as Orlando made a run in the 2nd quarter it was "la-di-da" we'll just take jumpers and play Game 2... they quit on Mike Woodson... The list of guys who I actually think DIDN'T quit last night goes like this... Zaza Pachulia, Jeff Teague, and maybe Al Horford (maybe)... that's the list... and in case you were wondering, those aren't the guys that I need to win this series... I've never been more embarrassed to be a Hawks fan than I am today... not during the 13-69 season when the talent level was so bad that it was unwatchable, not during the entire Billy Knight era... never... and making it worse... Mike Woodson looked like a guy who wasn't fired up in the least post-game.. I need you to call people out Mike... you lost by 43 points... I thought you were inept before, and as far as I'm concerned, last night should've been the final nail in your coffin in Atlanta... goodbye... I know I'm not rational... but I am angry/embarrassed/fired up and it's not okay...
  • Rant #2... This one is shorter... this Arizona immigration law is a joke... I know it's not sports... but with the Suns/Padres/D-Backs all being brought into it... I'll comment... Embarrassment seems to be a running term in this blog today... but it applies even deeper here... I'm embarrassed to live in a country where that law could actually pass... at what point as a Hispanic-American would I just be walking around the city carrying my immigration papers? Going to the bank? or a sporting event? or a movie? The profiling here is unbelievable/unethical, and I'm appalled.... and that's from a guy who doesn't usually get invested in things like this (at least in a public forum)
I guess I should discuss other sports...
  • LA 111, Utah 103... It was hard to watch more basketball last night but I made it through... LA dominated inside, and Kobe was efficient... couple that with the worst performance of the playoffs from Deron Williams (4-16 shooting) and you get this result... bright spot for Utah? Paul Millsap continues to do work inside and LA hasn't quite found a way to slow his bullish physicality down there...
  • Legendary broadcaster Ernie Harwell passes at 92... an absolute icon in Sports broadcasting, and a guy who will live on in clips/stories forever... RIP
Baseball...
  • Pitching Line of the Day - AJ Burnett... 7.1 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 8 K
  • Batting Line of the Day - Ryan Sweeney - 3-4, HR, 5 RBI... it was a slow day
  • The Braves go down on the road again... 9 straight road losses and 0-5 so far from Kenshin Kawakami... he hasn't been flat-out dreadful... but he hasn't been good, and that contract looks even worse than it did last year... while we're here, Livan Hernandez was VERY hittable last night... and they couldn't make him pay... I'd like to think the situational hitting will balance itself out (i.e. the Braves can't be this bad with 2 outs and/or with RISP)... but it hasn't happened yet
  • I'll credit my friend Taylor with this one... but doesn't Nyjer Morgan portray a spitting image of Delino Deshields?
What to watch for...
  • The first 1-game NBA night in a while... Spurs/Suns 9:00 TNT... At least it's the best series (IMO)... not a complete must-win for San Antonio, but they certainly need it... really interested to see what (if anything) Pop does to account for the Hill/Nash mismatch... start Parker? maybe...
  • Braves/Nats - 7:00 SportSouth - Hanson vs. Atilano... best pitcher for the Braves trying to bust the road losing streak... I like our chances
  • Cardinals/Phillies - 7:00 ESPN - Penny/Kendrick.. best 2 teams in the NL... and Brad Penny has been spectacular this year

No comments: