Monday, August 23, 2010

8/23: Piniella, USA Hoops, Braves, etc.

Greetings all... Just a reminder that you can check out my full 9-part College Football Preview below, as well as the first 5 parts of my 9-part NFL preview... 4 more to come in that realm... let's get to it
  • Lou Piniella retires... It's hard for me to weigh this one... he has a sick mother... done and done right? My only question is... if the Cubs were winning the division right now... would he walk? And IMO, absolutely not... so the waxing poetic can slow down a little... on the hall-of-fame question? He was an above-average player, and he's been an above-average manager (only slightly over .500 career record, but was dealt an absurdly bad hand in Tampa Bay to lower that number)... do we combine the two in gauging HOF status? I say no... yes, he's got a ring as a manager (1990 Reds) but you need more than longevity and one ring IMO...
  • On the heels of an ugly/violent incident, Nenad Krstic (of NBA center fame) fears a full FIBA ban for his actions... if you haven't seen it, it's an easy YouTube check-out... but wow was it crazy.. I don't think he'll get the full ban but if they suspended him for the Worlds.. I'd be in...
  • The Vikings are signing Javon Walker? It's Green Bay all over again... the difference? Javon Walker hasn't been relevant/good since GB... and that wasn't yesterday...
  • USA Basketball ran into Spain yesterday in Madrid... and they got the 1-point win... all is well, huh? I say no... I hate the way this roster was put together... 5 point guards (3 of which can't shoot at all, i.e. Westbrook, Rondo, Rose), no true center outside of slightly washed-up Tyson Chandler, and a wing rotation that includes Andre Iguodala (despise his game for FIBA, he's a trainwreck on offense), and Rudy Gay... and if you've read this blog, you know how I feel about Rudy... yes, they beat Spain by 1 in an exhibition, and yes, they may still be the favorite (ONLY because Pau Gasol is out for Spain), but I don't think they're winning the Worlds... the bright spot? It seems like they know it's Kevin Durant's team.. and it pretty much has to be... and I understand why Kobe/Lebron/Wade/Melo aren't there (they've paid their dues, carried us in 2008, etc.), but I'll echo Simmons/Whitlock/etc. sentiment when I question where Howard and Bosh are... it makes no sense...
  • Vin Scully keeps on ticking... back for his 62nd season as the Dodgers voice in 2011... the best of all-time... regardless of your attachment to various "hometown" guys... it's really not an argument
  • Last thing before I get to the TV guide... my yearly rant on the Little League World Series... this shouldn't be on TV... it definitely shouldn't be prominently featured on ESPN (the mothership) or ABC... and these kids get pressure they should never have to feel at 12 years old... done and done

What to watch for...

  • NFL Preseason (Cards @ Titans) - ESPN 9:00 PM... if you like meaningless football...
  • Braves/Rockies (8:30 SportSouth) - Hudson/Hammel
  • Reds/Giants (10:00 ESPN) - Volquez/Cain

Check back in this space for the rest of my football previews, etc...

No comments: