Wednesday, March 4, 2009

MLB Preview: AL Central

First of all....My God the AL Central is baffling....Let's get it


  1. Cleveland Indians-Well if there is one thing I know....the best lineup top-to-bottom in this division belongs to the Indians....they are young, yes.....but guys like Shin-Soo Choo, Ryan Garko, and Ben Francisco (aka maybe guys you don't know) are very productive, young guys....add them in with Grady Sizemore, Victor Martinez (healthy now), and do-everything contributor Mark DeRosa....I'm in....The rotation is contingent on 2 things....The follow-up of Cliff Lee and the re-emergence of Fausto Carmona.....I think they hit one of those 2 things...if they hit both? It could be momentous....Lee will come down a little, but will still be productive, and I'm very high on Carmona....Add in Aaron Laffey, Anthony Reyes, and about 6 other guys vying for that 5th spot....I'm a bit wary of the bullpen because of Kerry Wood and inevitable Groin Pull or Elbow Sprain....but the setup crop is deep and effective....The LEAST holes in this division resides here... X-Factors: Victor Martinez's rebound, Cliff Lee's rebound, Fausto's health
  2. Detroit Tigers- This lineup is definitely better on paper than it is in real life....Miguel Cabrera is a legit top-10 player in the league...Curtis Granderson and Magglio should be there....but Carlos Guillen? Placido Polanco? What do you get out of Gary Sheffield? I like the makeup...but there are questions....The rotation can't possibly be worse than it was last year...I think Justin Verlander rebounds...I'm a BIG fan of Armando Galarraga and Jeremy Bonderman is semi-solid....but Dontrelle Willis is a wreck....yikes...I'm scared to death....The setup guys are back in Zumaya and Rodney, but will they be healthy? X-Factors: Bullpen, Bullpen, Bullpen....Anything out D-Train Willis....

  3. Kansas City Royals- Okay...quit laughing and hear me out....I love....not like, love....some parts of this roster....The lineup is very good (although young) with guys like Alex Gordon, the underrated Mike Jacobs, rising star Mike Aviles, and smasher Billy Butler at DH....factor in guys who needed scene changes like CoCo Crisp (who will steal 70-ish bases on this team) and Jose Guillen (who mashes when he's healthy) and I'm sold...Zach Greinke as your ace? I'm cool with that....Gil Meche? He was a top 10 pitcher in the AL after the break last year....The rotation isn't the deepest in the world....but Joakim Soria slams the door every night and the bullpen is better than advertised.....They'll be near .500....X-Factors: Backend of the rotation, young guys progressing (Namely Gordon, Aviles)

  4. Minnesota Twins- You know the story....Smoke and mirrors....Mauer and Morneau are there...but I simply can't wrap my around the rest of that lineup competing for a division title....and with Mauer you don't even get the power....I just can't do it... I'm a big Denard Span fan though.....The rotation is actually nice....I think Liriano comes back strong and is an all-star caliber guy this year, and along with Scott Baker they form a very strong 1-2...The setup situation has taken a hit....but if they can consistently get the ball to Joe Nathan with a lead, they'll win enough where they won't be out of it until August..... X-factors: Liriano's elbow, Where does the power come from?

  5. Chicago White Sox- When researching for this....I had the White Sox higher until I actually saw what they were working with.... Alexei Ramirez? Check...I love him...huge upside at SS...You know you're getting 30 bombs from Jermaine Dye and near that money from Paul Konerko and Jim Thome (despite their low averages)....but that's it on the sure things...Carlos Quentin is a one-year wonder who subsequently got hurt and looms as a question mark....Josh Fields is a malcontent....The once frighteningly deep rotation now has 3 starters in Buehrle (aging), Danks (solid), and Gavin Floyd....Bartolo Colon? Former Michigan Wolverine QB Clayton Richard? Yikes....The bullpen is a plus on paper until you realize that every single setup guy that you know the name of has aged significantly since they were good....Look for the implosion and possibly the removal of Ozzie before season's end....

No comments: