Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Official Bracket!

Okay.... Before I start.... I've taken some risks here...but my advice to anyone in a pool is that...you have to...or you aren't winning it.... Here are a few thoughts before I post the bracket
  • There was no team I was sold on to win the whole thing....I spent a solid week thinking about it and no one distanced themselves more than the team I posted...but even then....ehhhhh
  • There was only 1 region that I had a consistent winner in during every bracket I filled out....and it's the team I have winning it all....
  • 2 teams I was sold on (upset-wise) immediately? Utah State going to the Sweet 16 and West Virginia going to the Elite 8....
  • Most likely upsets that I didn't pick in round 1? (And yes, I mean true upsets....meaning #13 seed or higher)... Cleveland State over Wake, American over Villanova
  • I was really, really angry when I saw the bracket because I was planning on taking VCU and American blindly in round 1....but then saw their matchups and both were probably the worst imaginable....UCLA is a terrible physical matchup for VCU b/c Collison is probably the best defender at PG in the land vs. Maynor....and American (a team I loved b/c they have 8 seniors that play) drew Villanova....IN PHILLY WHERE VILLANOVA IS FROM!
  • And finally....Listen closely....Nobody has any idea what they are talking about when it comes to March Madness.....On the whole I mean....Individual games? sure, people can make informed decisions on who should/can win games based on matchups....but trying to pick the entire bracket? Please....Anybody that tells you they feel "great" about their bracket is out of their mind....and I write about sports....They won't admit it...but I will...don't take my bracket as an indictment on my knowledge....and don't take anyone's bracket that happens to land right as an indication of any brilliance on their end....

Drumroll please.....

  • Round 1 Winners (From the Midwest, West, East, and South regions in order): Louisville, Ohio St., Utah, Wake, W. VA, Kansas, BC, Mich St., Connecticut, BYU, Purdue, Washington, Utah St., Missou, Cal, Memphis, Pitt, Okla St., Wisconsin, Xavier, UCLA, Nova, Texas, Duke, UNC, LSU, Western Ky, Gonzaga, Ariz. St., Syracuse, Michigan, Oklahoma
  • Sweet 16 (Same order, etc.): Louisville, Wake, West Va, Mich St., UConn, Washington, Utah St., Memphis, Pitt, Wisconsin, Nova, Duke, UNC, Gonzaga, Ariz. St., Oklahoma
  • Elite 8: Louisville, West VA, Washington, Memphis, Pitt, Duke, Gonzaga, Arizona State
  • Final 4: Louisville, Washington (yes, that Washington), Pitt, Gonzaga
  • Finals: Pitt over Washington 72-65

So hear me out on a few things....

  • Washington as a final 4 team....First of all, they are playing in their home region that features all 3 higher seeds in that region that are NOT from the West....They play their first 2 games (Against Miss. State, and either Purdue or Northern Iowa) in Portland, Oregon....aka a virtual home game....then comes the limb....I have them beating UConn in Glendale in the Sweet 16....3,000 mile trip for UConn is #1....Then the matchups....The only significant advantage (IMO) that UConn employs is at the PF position with Jeff Adrian....Hasheem Thabeet vs. Jon Brockman? I'll take Brockman with a gun to my head...but if you want a push, I'll give you one.....Quincy Pondexter vs. Stanley Robinson? Adv. Pondexter.....Justin Dentmon vs. Craig Austrie? Dentmon all day.....Isiah Thomas vs. AJ Price....Price...but only slightly....and UConn has no bench suddenly....the loss of Jerome Dyson really hurts them..... So in a nutshell....I have reasons...I didn't just point and click on Washington....They are a veteran team who is well-coached and have guys who have been there
  • Gonzaga as a Final 4 team.... I had contemplated this one alot....They have the same advantage as Washington in that play 2 virtual home games in Portland as well...then they draw UNC in Memphis....First of all, I don't believe that Ty Lawson is/will be healthy....That's big....2nd....Gonzaga is the only team in the country with as much depth as UNC....I like Pargo as a matchup vs. Lawson b/c he's strong and a veteran...they score in different ways, and won't be intimidated...and they have the ever-popular name of Gonzaga to propel them if they can hang around and get the buzz going in the building....you call it a hunch....but I like them....
  • Arizona State over Oklahoma....I've been pimping Blake Griffin in this space all year....so you may be shocked...but don't be....The Sun Devils are just a bad matchup for OU with Pendergraph to cover Griffin and veteran guards to expose the youth of Oklahoma....
  • As a sidebar....I can't belive the Midwest Region.... Louisville gets the free pass of all free passes here (EXCEPT of course that they have to play Ohio State IN Dayton but that's surpassed by the rest of the region)....They get the weakest #2 seed in Michigan State....A toss-up with Missouri for the weakest #3 seed in Kansas....The weakest #5 in Utah...on paper nobody can beat them....I'm not a fan of Louisville's tourney makeup (namely a lack of a lead guard b/c Edgar Sosa is an abomination) but there's just nobody in their way.....
  • Pitt to win it all..... First...I love the veteran guard play from Sam Young and Levance Fields....you can't replace that type of experience....I love pass-first PGs too and Fields fits the bill....DeJuan Blair is still a sophomore (I forgot this) but is an absolute man on the block...and they are deep.... Then last of all....this team defends...Jamie Dixon brings the Ben Howland school and with all these added in plus a region that matches up well for them (i.e. I can't see Duke or Villanova beating them in Boston)....Give me the panthers

Okay....That went long....but let me tell you that I'll also be picking games on the Betting lines daily and keeping track (Football-style) of how I do.....Enjoy it everyone!!!!

Day 1 Line Picks

  • Duke -21.5 over Binghamton
  • BYU -2 over TA&M
  • American +16.5 over Nova
  • Cal -1 over Maryland
  • Washington -5.5 over Miss. State

No comments: