Saturday, March 21, 2009

On to Round 2...

Alot happened on Friday...here's a quick little rundown...
  • 2 overtime games in the late session....First, Wisconsin takes down Florida State behind a ridiculous spinning and-1 by Trevon Hughes....The style difference was enough for Wisky to beat the highly ranked FSU team...I saw that coming in that Florida State doesn't deal well with the slowdown game.......Secondly, Siena and Ohio State played a 2OT classic (lengthened and subsequently ended by Ronald Moore of Siena burying 3's) that was indicative of how close those 8/9 games should be....I had the Buckeyes but was blindly rooting for Siena...nothing like a small school in an instant classic over a power university...gutty effort by the team with no depth against a team with endless resources
  • Wake gets run out of the building...Cleveland State made a statement tonight...and it was that the Horizon can play lol....Actually, I think Wake just laid an egg...but an embarrassing score for Wake here....no excuses
  • RIP Utah State....we hardly knew ye....That broke my heart a little inside....but hey, they covered
  • Pitt gets challenged...well I didn't see that coming...I'm gonna say it may wake them up a bit....but it's never good to be challenged by the 16 seed who shouldn't be on the same floor as you...
  • Dayton over WV....Well, I lost an elite 8 team here....In retrospect, Bob Huggins is an awful tourney coach (and has the record to match) so I'm not sure why I overlooked that...but his refusal to make an adjustment down the stretch killed them....their offensive continuity was non-existent
  • Arizona over Utah isn't an upset....Arizona was the Vegas favorite as a 12 seed and they have 2 top-10 NBA draft picks on that team....Stop it already lol
  • USC explodes in the 2nd half....Well, this exchange happened when I was talking about this game..."Yea, last I checked BC was up 4....::Looks at phone:: Umm...they're down 13...Yes, I'm serious"....
Great opening round as always....very entertaining....
  • Well, really only 2 "upsets" in this first 2 days....Cleveland State is a monster one (especially the way they dominated as a #13 seed) and Western Kentucky as a 12....Not too shabby b/c there were some threats....that's all you can really ask for...but 3 #12 seeds won in the same year...that's pretty crazy even if 2 of them were major conference teams in Wisconsin and Arizona
  • I went 24-8 on straight picks (including a trainwreck 10-6 Friday)...not terrible but should've been better I feel....6-4-1 in line picks makes you money so I'm happy with that...Still have 13 of my 16, 7 of my 8 and all my final 4....so it could've been worse...
To Saturday...First...With my picks on the line....YTD (After Friday): 6-4-1
  • Washington -1 over Purdue
  • Gonzaga -10.5 over W. Kentucky
Quickly to the games...
  • UCLA vs. Villanova....This is the game of the day for me....I'd actually love UCLA alot in this game if it weren't in Philly...as it stands, I'm sticking with my pre-bracket pick of Nova...but this could be a classic...it'll come down to the PG matchup between Reynolds and Collison...
  • Maryland vs. Memphis....Can the Tigers rebound? Maryland clearly has a shot in this one...but I'm gonna say Memphis just out-physicals them and is able to contain Vasquez enough to hold them off
  • A&M vs. UConn....I keep hearing that if A&M can play how they did Thursday they'll give UConn a run...I agree with this...BUT if you know anything about A&M they don't really play that well 2 games in a row....they are hit and miss....but hey, this will either be to the wire or UConn will win by 20....I'm semi-clueless but the Aggies do have the physical players to combat them
  • Purdue vs. Washington....2nd best game of the day...I love Washington as mentioned above...Purdue has too many question and Washington has too many guards and veterans for them to bow out here....Robbie Hummel's back could be the key...short turnaround on games for Purdue
  • LSU vs. UNC....Tar Heels win easily...and that's with or without Lawson by the way (aka I don't like LSU's chances lol)
  • W. Kent. vs. Gonzaga....well I picked Gonzaga on the 10.5 point line....that should tell you a little something about how I feel on this one....but I really only took WKY to win in the first round b/c I hated Illinois minus-Frazier and Gonzaga is just too deep....add in that they are playing a home game virtually....they cruise
  • Texas vs. Duke...In greensboro....Not a big fan of Rick Barnes...he'll get worked here and they'll take Abrams away with Williams/Nolan Smith....Double digit win for the Devils
  • And Finally....Michigan/Oklahoma....Okay...you know where my interest lies....but I'm a realist....there's little to no way Michigan wins this game....the only way is if the Freshman guards for Oklahoma just implode...certainly plausible but the Wolverines would have to shoot out of their minds....I don't see it...too much of Mr. Griffin....
Enjoy the slate

No comments: