- There was exactly one NBA game last night (thanks to the Hurricane) and it didn't disappoint. Tony Parker sunk a buzzer-beating jump shot to lift the Spurs to an 86-84 win over Oklahoma City. The most impressive part? Serge Ibaka (the league's #1 shot blocker last season) was flying at Parker when he calmly sunk the game-winner. Tim Duncan led 5 Spurs in double-figures with 20 points and 8 rebounds, while Parker (14 points, 11 assists) led the way on the perimeter. OKC got a "bad Russ" game from Westbrook, as he shot 6 of 21 and made 6 turnovers, while Durant was efficient (9 of 18) but unspectacular with 23 points, although he did add 14 rebounds. I did like what I saw from Kevin Martin off the bench, as he sparked the offense with 15 points and 5 assists in 33 minutes.
- Philip Rivers is alive. The much-maligned Chargers QB went 18 of 20 for 220 yards and 2 touchdowns last night as the Chargers cruised to a 31-13 win over the lowly Chiefs. Rivers had been awful for a few weeks and really hadn't been himself this season, but this was a flash (even against a bad defense) that he isn't to be written off yet. For the Chiefs, what do you even say? They finally realized J. Charles was alive in the 2nd half (12 carries, 3 catches on the night) but it was too late by then, and they couldn't get a stop when they needed it. It's bad times in KC.
- The NFL trade deadline was yesterday... did you know!? At any rate, there was only one deal that was consummated. Aqib Talib, the Bucs CB with tons of off-field issues, was sent to New England along with a 7th-rounder in the 2013 draft in exchange for a 2013 4th rounder. This is an absolute pillaging for New England if Talib ever gets his head on straight, but it's certainly a risk as Talib is currently suspended. I do think it's worth the risk for the ghastly Pats secondary to add a top-tier talent like this, and I like the gamble.
What to watch for on Friday...
- NBA - Heat @ Knicks - 8:00 ESPN - Our first look at the Knicks aging roster... and they get the joy of taking on Lebron and company. Speed vs. molasses! Young vs. old!
- NBA - Clippers vs. Lakers - 10:30 ESPN - The battle of LA! These two teams don't like each other at all, and the Lakers have looked pretty bad in their 0-2 start.
- NBA - Rockets @ Hawks - 7:30 SportSouth - The Hawks opener! The James Harden traveling road show comes to town, and we'll get our first glance at the new-look Hawks in full effect. There's some debate on the opening night starting lineup (on the wing at least) and that'll be settled here.
- NBA League Pass! - Bulls vs. Cavs (7:30), Jazz @ Hornets (8:00), Blazers @ Thunder (8:00), Kings @ T-Wolves (8:00), Grizz @ Warriors (10:30)... and more! Take advantage!
- NCAAF - Washington @ Cal - 9:00 ESPN2 - Live football on a Friday night. Cal has been a major disappointment this season at 3-6, but if you're tired of hoops (I have no idea how you would be, but still), this is an option.