Saturday, August 9, 2008

8/9: Olympics begin, Josh Smith staying...

  • The spectacle that was the Opening Ceremony last night was.....a spectacle....it was so over-the-top to me...but I guess it's just not my thing as it got positive reviews....but honestly, the walk of nations or whatever it is consumes more time than it ever should....that's all I got there...
  • Actual competition: Michael Phelps (a Michigan man, btw....) broke his own olympic record in a qualifying heat of the 400 IM this morning....if he wins 8 gold medals, it'll be the greatest athletic feat I've ever seen....and yes, it's swimming....USA women's soccer and bball win early games....shocking...
  • MY lead story of the day...The Memphis Grizzlies issue a 5yr/58 million tender to Hawks forward Josh Smith....that the Hawks almost immediately match...ugh....I was looking forward to a Smith-less Hawks team....that said, he at least makes them semi-relevant this year....if he had gone, and they ate all that cap space, this was a 25-win team...with him....looking at 35-40 again I'd imagine...
  • Do you hear that? It's the sound of the Soft Throwing Chad Pennington bouncing out routes in Miami....laughter...I actually like Chad if the offense fits him....and I won't claim to know if it does
  • Brian Westbrook signs a new 3-year deal with Philly....he's definitely earned it...he's the top 5 RB that nobody thinks is a top-5 RB....
  • A non-sports story...I just heard (while blogging) that Bernie Mac died at the age of 50...wow..."denim like a jean" is one of my favorite lines in any movie (Ocean's 11)...and he's fantastically funny....RIP....
More later

No comments: