Sunday, November 2, 2008

Some college football notes...

Not a full weekend wrap just yet...but just some stuff....the Picks, etc. will come Monday....
  • Well, Texas Tech showed the country they are for real...we all saw that...and that Texas Pass D (that I mentioned in the preview) came up small yet again....I was actually impressed by Colt McCoy and Texas in their comeback but their pass D just wouldn't let them win this thing.....Just one thing that I haven't heard anyone mention...I was looking at the Texas Tech 2-deep depth chart...my goodness....They're like...all...seniors...That's a good thing (for this year) last I checked....With the exception of Crabtree, all of their playmakers/leaders are at least upperclassmen if not seniors and that bodes well for their chances....what doesn't bode well is the fact that they still have to get through OK State, Oklahoma, and likely Missouri in the Big 12 title game to go unbeaten....I don't see it...but for now, they should be ranked at least #2 IMO with only Alabama having a comparable resume (sorry Penn State)....
  • There is zero...and I mean zero...doubt in my mind that Florida and USC would beat any of the 3 major unbeatens...however, please get away from me with this talk of a 1-loss SEC or Big 12 team getting the national title nod over an undefeated Penn State....it's NEVER going to happen....Penn State would be ranked higher in both human polls...and that's enough to ensure a top 2 spot...so please, stop....
  • Speaking of Florida....They looked out-of-this-world good again....not necessarily surprised as Georgia had their hands full all day, and hasn't particularly impressed anyone all year outside of beating up on a vastly over-rated LSU defense....Yes, there was definitely some spotty officiating in the 1st half....but you can't fake 49-10 (and it was 49-3 until a late TD)....
  • I had seen exactly ONE hook-and-ladder play actually work in college football....until Purdue ripped my heart out with one yesterday....I can't even talk about it anymore
  • I will now say...with conviction, no less....that this year's Washington State team is THE WORST, and I mean it....THE WORST TEAM IN A BCS-CONFERENCE IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL.....Yes, I know, the athletes are better now so they'd beat up on bad teams previous....I'm talking about in comparison to today's teams....they lost by 55+ to STANFORD.....Their closest Pac-10 game was a 28-3 loss to UCLA who was playing without their starting QB and RB....Their combined score against Pac-10 teams is 350-33.....That's an average score of 58-5....Utterly inconceivable to me how they could be this bad....At least they get to play Washington at the end of the year....Maybe they'll lose by less than 30
  • I'm sick of Missouri.....their best win was a "neutral" field win over Illinois in which they allowed 42 points to a mediocre offense....they've lost to the 2 ranked teams they've played by a combined 30 points....stop somebody.....and then I'll discuss you further
  • The Mountain West is still better than the Big East....just thought you should know
  • Team most like to be the "BCS-Buster"....No, it's not Utah (although the Utes are legitimately good and much better than this team).....it's Boise State....it's all scheduling folks....Utah still has to play BYU and a very, very scary TCU team....while Boise gets...Fresno State...at home on the blue turf....I never hear them mentioned....You'll hear it more soon
  • I've never seen a conference like the ACC this year....There are about 10 teams in that conference that are 7-5 teams lol....10 of the 12 teams are between 2-3 and 4-2....TEN of the 12....and Duke is 1-3 with wins over Navy and Vandy.....Weirdest thing I've ever seen....11 of the 12 teams are alive....

Okay...enough ranting....Enjoy the NFL Slate...full wrap on that Monday featuring the Picks

No comments: