Wednesday, May 21, 2008

5/21: East Game 1, Lottery, etc.

The 2 Big stories from yesterday are both in the NBA....I love this game!
  • I'll lead with the on-court stuff....Boston holds serve at home to take the 1-0 lead in the East Finals....KG was very, very good throughout and Pierce was his usual self (though not the 40+point variety)...Ray Allen is still not right (3-10 for 9 pts) but at least Doc is trying to get him going by running some additional things through him....I was really impressed with Rajon Rondo's bounceback, as Billups is a notoriously difficult matchup for him....It was a balanced, yet unsuccessful effort from Detroit and I'll go ahead and say they're gonna need better than 3-12 from Sheed...like every night....This series is a still a toss-up, and one thing's for sure, if anyone can win in Boston, it's probably Detroit....
  • The Draft Lottery went down last night with Chicago getting the #1 pick somehow with Miami and Minnesota to follow....Now's a good time to plug my favorite NBA draft site....nbadraft.net.....go there to see regularly updated mocks now that the lottery is set, those guys do a great job....now to my analysis....If I was John Paxson, I would go.....Michael Beasley....for the simple fact that they've been in need of a legit front-court scorer for like...years....and he fits that bill obviously...At the risk of full disclosure, I am an unabashed Kirk Hinrich supporter and I feel like he's an above-average point guard, and that puts this pick over the edge to me UNLESS they can get fair value in a deal for Hinrich...if they somehow could, I'd go the Rose route b/c I feel like he is the better prospect overall....Miami will be dancing in the streets either way I have a feeling, but I think Pat Riley would rather have Rose....Minnesota gets the unenviable task of sorting through the rest of the draft of guys like Brook Lopez, Jerryd Bayless, OJ Mayo, and whatever Europeans appear....Good luck to you all NBA gms....
  • Spurs/Lakers begins tonight in the better of the 2 series I'd imagine....I'm going to take the Lakers, but once again, it's the Spurs people, don't kill them yet....This one's going at least 6, and I'll take Kobe going berserk in Game 7 for the win...
Other things....
  • All this Carmelo/Nets trade talk is pretty premature....or so it seems....
  • MLB: Braves sweep a double-header against the hated Mets....:pumps fist:....Justin Masterson was sick yet again for Boston and for the life of me, I can't figure out why the keep sending him back down to AAA to make room for guys like Bartolo Colon...or the corpse of Bartolo Colon....ludicrous.....Doug Davis has a planned return to the D-Backs rotation after having cancer surgery...like during THIS season....crazy...good luck Doug
  • Cue the over-reactions when the NFL owners opt out of the current CBA early.....they'd been widely expected to do this for months so I'm not shocked/worried....I just can't for the life of me see how they could let a work stoppage go down with as healthy as the league (and it's profit margins) currently are....
  • Matt Ryan is officially a Falcon...signing the richest Rookie deal in history (as the 3rd pick??? huh???) with 6 yr/72 million with over 34 million guaranteed....Wow, that seems steep, but undoubtedly worth it if he's good....but do we know that? absolutely not
  • Final thing for today....Mike Piazza retires....I was never a huge fan, but he is definitely one of, if not the, best hitting catchers of all-time...so that deserves a mention...and oh yea, he made it perfectly clear he's not gay...for whatever reason

No comments: