Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Michael Boley and a rant....

Michael Boley, the Falcons leading tackler and probably the best player on the entire roster (with apologies to John Abraham and Roddy White) was charged with battery against his wife over the weekend....until the facts come out, you never wanna make snap judgments of what happened or what the punishment should be so I'll leave it here.....but that brings me to this discussion.....

Why on earth is it the NBA that has the supposed "image problem" when the NFL dwarfs the NBA in terms of shear volume of run-ins with the law, steroids, etc.? I don't understand why the NFL is indestructible in this area, and while I chalk it up to the fact that America loves football.....it should at least be talked about more, and on a similar, if not, higher level than the NBA whose problems have actually lowered lately....The most interesting study to me is the simulated correlation between the NBA and the "thug" image compared to the NFL and the lack of this same thought process....Personally, I think much of it has to do with the uniform difference, and the fact that NBA guys have their tattoos and hair styles displayed and they can rock their uniforms however they choose; whereas the NFL has all these guidelines and unless you have Rasta-hair like Al Harris, you can't stand out at all.....As one of the biggest NBA fans that I recognize around me, I can't stand the notion of the league, when put against the NFL, is so scrutinized for its image when the NFL trumps it 2-fold in the amount of indisgressions...ludicrous

No comments: