Friday, January 23, 2009

A bunch of coaching moves and All-Star starters released

  • Marc Iavaroni fired as the coach of the Memphis Grizzlies.....This won't get the headlines like the NFL moves, but I'll headline with it because I'm intrigued...I can't believe Memphis would let him go in the middle of his 2nd year as if he was expected to win with a roster of twenty-somethings? I don't understand it at all.....Lionel Hollins steps in....Good luck sir
  • Herm Edwards canned.....Mike Shanahan coming in? Well, that's an upgrade if I've ever seen one....Herm has been a joke for years and Shanahan is an above-average NFL HC...Seems simple enough....and I can't hate on a GM-coach combo of Pioli and Shanahan.....Seems highly weird that Shanahan would coach a 3rd AFC west team....that's gotta be a record....EDIT: Adam Schefter of NFL.com reporting this isn't happening...and is staking his career on it lol by what I read
  • Dan Reeves interviews as the OC for the 49ers....Vick a package deal? Reeves definitely interviewed....but there are now rumors flying that they'll be going after Vick when (and if) he gets released....it does make some sense and Vick was exceedingly better under Reeves than he was under Jim Mora and Greg Knapp....but still seems far-fetched to bring Reeves in at his old age and bank on Vick....
  • NBA All-star starters released.....the voting wasn't as patently absurd as usual....Chris Paul ended up passing T-Mac at the gun to take his (deserved) starting spot....Iverson over Devin Harris or Joe Johnson is pretty ludicrous this year....but that's the only one that's glaring....and he's Allen Iverson after all...
That's all I got....seemed like a poignant day to hit on the coaching changes....NBA All-star rosters (as I see them) later...

No comments: