Wednesday, June 25, 2008

2008 NBA Draft...My Way

Okay...Coming to you live from Jasper, Georgia....Hurray! lol I'm going to be running the 1st round of the NBA Draft....Picking for every team who they SHOULD pick (not who they WILL pick)....Ready...GO
  1. Chicago takes Michael Beasley- First let me say I'm not totally sold here on Beasley from the character to the whole combo-forward thing....to being a lefty forward and playing no defense....but he fits Chicago 100x better than Derrick Rose would and if Chicago has needed one thing with this particular group of guys they have now...it's a post scorer and Beasley is certainly capable of being that for them.....All this changes if they move Kirk Hinrich but until then...the pick is Beasley

  2. Miami takes Derrick Rose- Pat Riley is utterly amazed with how lucky he feels here to get Rose....this might be the fastest pick in the history of the league if Chicago takes Beasley...the Heat want a backcourt mate for D-Wade and this is certainly their #1 target....if Rose goes one, look for Miami to try and get out of this pick and move down for Mayo or Bayless

  3. Minnesota takes OJ Mayo- This is a legitimately difficult call for me because none of the "elite" prospects fit Minnesota's need for a big-time post guy to pair with Jefferson...they have a plethora of swingmen and there really isn't a legit #1 PG prospect after Rose...so they'll take the best overall guy in Mayo and see what happens....maybe he can play the point after all since I'm not sold on Randy Foye or Sebastian Telfair as long-term options....

  4. Seattle takes Jerryd Bayless- I'm pretty sure Seattle would or should covet OJ Mayo at this pick...but if he's gone when it gets to them...I see them going the way of Bayless IF they feel he's a PG prospect in any way...I generally don't like the 6'4 combo-guard thing...but Seattle needs another scoring option alongside Durant and Bayless can certainly do that...He's also a west-coast guy and would fit in well with the system...allowing the versatility of Durant to shine along a guy like himself

  5. Memphis takes Kevin Love- The Grizz really need a power forward to pair with Rudy Gay and I like Love more than Gallinari here....he's the kind of fundemental guy they lack up front....That said, #5 is too high for him...so I'd try to move out of this pick really....

  6. New York takes DJ Augustin- First off, I'm not really sold on DJ as an elite NBA PG...he's too small....but he's also very strong and heady....and Mike D'Antonio is in need of a crafty, smart PG more than any other coach in the league....if they could move down, and still get Augustin, I'd do it...but I'd take him here if necessary

  7. LA Clippers take Russell Westbrook- I love this pick for LA....they need an athletic guard in the worst way...he went to college down the street...and if Shaun Livingston ever re-emerges (suspect at best) he'd be a great complement to him....In general, I really like Westbrook's game...he's an elite-level defender, and if he could possibly translate as an NBA PG this pick is even easier...but LAC needs help at both guard spots, and he's the guy

  8. Milwaukee takes Joe Alexander- I have mixed feelings here....Milwaukee has no glaring "need" as they are fairly mediocre across the board....the one need I see is at the point but they seem to believe Ramon Sessions is the guy....and there isn't a PG to be taken here anyway...so I'll go with Alexander who, from all reports, was the fastest riser in the draft...he should be an upgrade at either forward spot...
  9. Charlotte takes Brook Lopez- Remember when I said the thing earlier about the fastest run to the draft podium? This might break it...they've been widely rumored to be trying to move Emeka Okafor to the 4 permanently and this would allow them to do so....I'm not the biggest Lopez fan but he seems to be a polished low-post scorer and would complement Okafor nicely in the future...they'd be ecstatic to grab him at 9
  10. New Jersey takes Darrell Arthur- As it stands currently, they are shopping Richard Jefferson...if they trade him, this pick becomes Gallinari instantly...but until then, I have to pick someone up front and this is the guy I like the most of the remaining players (not saying a whole lot)....He just won a national title...played in big-times and reportedly has...wait for it...UPSIDE! lol First mention....
  11. Indiana takes Robin Lopez- Yea...I hate this pick...but with nothing at center outside of Troy Murphy who's consistently hurt and the fact that they are shopping J O'Neal openly...I'll go with the big role player in Lopez with that big-time motor...Almost went the way of Mario Chalmers here...but I don't think they'll do it...
  12. Sacramento takes Mario Chalmers- Quick...name Sacramento's PG options after Beno Udrih leaves...Anthony Johnson? Laughter...Chalmers is the #1 PG left here and that's the instant pick...I don't see him as a star but rather potentially one of those good leader/very good defender type PGs...something the NBA is missing right now even
  13. Portland takes Brandon Rush- 3 Jayhawks in the lottery...interesting...it scared the life out of me when I agreed with both Chad Ford and Bill Simmons on this..before reading them...Rush is the guy here because he doesn't want/need the ball...will hustle for you and fits nicely in the 3 spot with Travis Outlaw for now....The only missing link for Portland is still the PG and they've been reportedly talking to Memphis about Mike Conley...my goodness....
  14. Golden State takes Danilo Gallinari- Honestly I don't see a possible scenario in which he actually lasts this long....in fact Portland would take him I'm sure at 13....but this guy would be great in GS or even PHX at 15....Fits the style...can run the floor...has a reported mean streak...Love this guy here
Okay we're out of the lottery.....and I'm out of time...will fill in the rest accordingly if I have time...Enjoy draft week

No comments: