Tuesday, June 24, 2008

6/24: Team USA Revealed, NBA Draft, etc.

Wait...basketball content?! To quote Marv Albert..."YES!"

To start things off....here is your 2008 Beijing Olympic Team for USA Men's Basketball....

  • PG: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd
  • SG: Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Michael Redd
  • SF: Lebron James, Tayshaun Prince
  • PF: Carmelo Anthony (he's not a 4, but they've stated he'll play 4), Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh
  • C: Dwight Howard

So I have a couple issues.....

  1. Jason Kidd doesn't need a roster spot with Williams and Paul aboard...and now that he has one...he doesn't need to play...he's not the Jason Kidd we all remember
  2. The noticeable lack of a 2nd legit big to complement Dwight Howard...I know Amare wasn't available, but really Chris Bosh backup center? Oh well, I guess it is FIBA rules after all....
  3. Apparently the "12th man" selection was Prince over Tyson Chandler....which I kind of understand because I strongly believe you need defensive-minded role players on teams with this many stars....but once again (combining points 1 and 2)....pull Kidd off and insert someone like the widely-mentioned Tyson Chandler for front-court depth...or even trot out Greg Oden if he's healthy just to have someone for Dwight to practice against...

All that said... This team wins gold without hesitation simply because I don't think Kobe lets them lose (much like in Olympic qualifying where he took his defense/supporting activities to a ridiculous level)...There are certainly flaws to this team i.e. I hate Lebron and Wade's games in this type of setting and they are prominently involved, etc. but they won't be big enough.....

Now that that's over and done with......

  • Mock drafts abound as the NBA Draft nears....in looking at Chad Ford's at ESPN....there were alot of things that made me scratch my head.....The Derrick Rose to Chicago selection makes literally no sense to me unless they move Kirk Hinrich for a post scorer....I understand you want the home guy and they like him, but Beasley fits their glaring need that they've had for multiple seasons (post scorer) and seems like a slam dunk for them.....That, coupled with Miami at #2 needing/coveting Rose and it just makes too much sense for it actually to do down that way......If I have time tomorrow or Thursday (working alot), I will be giving you my 1st round mock (at least through the lottery) of what teams SHOULD be doing....
  • Carmelo Anthony suspended 2 games for DUI earlier in the year....2 games huh?...laughter....
  • I got a text from my incomparable friend Ryan yesterday reading...."holy s*** King Felix hit a grand slam off Johan"....ummm, yea...he did....
  • College World Series update....Just kidding....PING! But on a side note it's great to see these UGA College baseball fans coming out of the woodwork.....except I detest it

Wow, long today...more later

No comments: