Thursday, June 17, 2010

6/17: Game 7 Is Here...

Greetings everyone... This may be my last full-scale post for the weekend... I am traveling internationally (Canada) and can't be held accountable for any internet issues... alas...
  • Game 7 is upon us... there is a huge injury (Kendrick Perkins has been ruled out), a fairly epic stinker in the air (Boston's game 6 performance), and the "best clutch player alive" in Kobe Bean Bryant... I'm contractually obligated to give a prediction, so here it is... I'm on record saying LA in 7 (pre-series) and Boston in 7 (post Game 5)... so here's the tiebreaker...I'm taking LA.... Between Perkins injury (losing one of the best defenders in the L) and the replacement players that could see minutes in his stead (the immortal Shelden Williams, or Brian Scalabrine), that put it over the edge... I still don't trust anyone on the LA roster (Kobe included, really) in a Game 7... but they are playing better, are at home, and Boston's trotting out a roster without a Center... Conviction in this pick? none... but hey... writers make picks
  • The Pac-10 formally invites Utah to join... hurray? It's a fit because they can compete in both football and basketball... so it makes sense, and they need 12 teams...
  • Chad Ford's newest mock draft has the Hawks taking Lance Stephenson of Cincinnati at #24... I have mixed feelings about that potential reality... with Joe Johnson's possible departure, Stephenson presents a high-upside swingman with the potential to become an elite scorer (especially if he can fix his jump shot)... but at the same time, I really don't like his game as constructed (dominates the ball, can't shoot, etc.), and I feel like there's a very high bust capability here... it's very un-Hawks-like (swinging for the fences here), and if Joe returns, this would be a pick I'd hate... but if he leaves, it makes some sense...
  • Spain lost their opening World Cup match to Switzerland... that's, by all measures, a fairly big upset... and the 2nd (if you count the US/England tie) semi-surprising result of the Cup so far...
  • The US Open starts today at Pebble Beach... I'm rooting for Tiger because I always do... and I also feel like, with the seas quieting just a bit for him, that he'll be locked in and perform well...
Any time there's a game 7 it's a big deal... when it's the NBA Finals? it's a huge deal... pretty awesome sports day on the horizon... enjoy it everybody...

1 comment:

Nick said...

Basketball......82 regular season games, weeks and weeks and months of play off games, and it all comes down to 11 seconds at the end of game 7....

I'm looking forward to next season...wake me up when we get down to the last 11 seconds of the final game..