Wednesday, June 30, 2010

6/30: NBA FA Predictions and more...

Greetings... The world is bracing for tomorrow's free agent explosion... I'm following it closely simply because I'm a giant NBA fan, and not allowing the fact that I absolutely detest this coverage to push me away... With that in mind, here's my quick predictions...
  • Lebron to Chicago - Alot is being made of the 3-way Miami plan with Wade and Bosh, but I don't see that working, because I don't believe Lebron will go into Miami to play with a guy who already has the title in that city... for Chicago? Great supporting cast (Rose and Noah in place, and the ability to get another big gun, preferably Dirk or Bosh), and the 3rd largest TV market... done and done
  • Wade to Miami - Not alot of suspense here...
  • Bosh to Chicago - This was the toughest one for me... but in the end, I think he's blindly following LBJ and that team will be absurdly talented in a way that nobody else could be simply because they have more talent in place than any of the other options
  • Dirk to Dallas - I'll say this, I think I'd rather have Dirk (for the short term) than Bosh as a support piece to Lebron or Wade, but he's older and he'll still demand that contract... He's hard to read because of the lack of data, but he has loyalty to Cuban, and the opt-out just ensures he'll get locked up wherever he lands
  • Amare to Miami - No Bosh, no Lebron, no Dirk.... Wade needs a big and the best one out there is Amare in this spot... the runner-up here? Phoenix...
  • Boozer to New Jersey - The Russian billionaire has money... and cap space... but I don't think he's getting one of the top-flight guys, and Boozer is known for taking the money and running...
  • Joe to NY - I've heard alot of Joe and Amare going to NY together... people seem to forget that these 2 guys hate each other... I'd be shocked if they signed in NY together, but in the end I think Joe goes there because they'll pay him, and that's all it takes
  • Gay to New Jersey - The Russian wants to win now... and Gay is the biggest reasonable name left.. I'd want no part of him, but a Harris/Gay/Boozer/Lopez 4-some gets you to the playoffs in 2010-11
  • Pierce to Boston - News of his opt-out sent waves this morning... I think it's a cash-grab and he'll re-sign in Boston for 3 more years... but if someone (cough, cough New Jersey or New York) is dumb enough to max him out? He could be gone...
  • David Lee to NY - They strike out on the big guys, lock up Joe Johnson and come crawling back to Lee... needless to say, the fans won't love this outcome
  • EDIT! - Carmelo on the Block - Melo and the Nuggets have reportedly stalled on contract talks, and he'd certainly be available via trade to a team with cap space if they can't lock him up... Just something to keep an eye on
Please remember this after these guys sign... after all, it's the lesson as always... I'm an idiot

Elsewhere..
  • Roger Federer goes down in the Wimbledon quarters this morning... that's a big deal when you consider his overall dominance in Majors, but when you think about it being Wimbledon... it's bigger
  • PK's decided a World Cup knockout round game last night... there's nothing better from a drama standpoint than a shootout...
  • Cliff lee is getting dealt this summer... but the Yankees talk makes me uneasy... I don't think he's going there (yet)... it's been their custom recently to let some unsuspecting team pay the Prospect price for a half-season rental, and then overpay in the summer to take the guy away... that'll continue
What to watch for...
  • Braves/Nats - 7:00 SportSouth - Jurrjens/Martin - the return of Jair Jurrjens... a big story for the Braves... he was fantastic in 2009, but there's a growing suspicion that he pitched over his head... we'll see
  • Cubs/Pirates - 2:20 WGN - Gorzelanny/Lincoln
  • Mets/Marlins - 7:00 ESPN2 - Pelfrey/Volstad
  • NBA Fastbreak - Midnight ESPN - Special FA edition... I have no idea why they're even showing this, because nothing will happen at midnight... but hey, it's basketball talk

No comments: