Wednesday, June 23, 2010

6/24: It's Draft Day, etc.

Greetings all... It's NBA Draft day... wonderful.... First? Scattered draft thoughts... then we'll get to other news...
  • I want a big-man in this draft for the Hawks... the more I look, the more I'm convinced that SOMEBODY I like could drop... various places have Aldrich, Udoh, or Patterson dropping, and I'd even like to snatch Alabi... If those 4 guys are off the board, then you start looking at the James/Pondexter/Brackins/Sanders crew... To be short? Here are the guys I'd be unhappy about coming out of the 1st round (provided the Hawks stay at 24): Devin Ebanks, Dominique Jones, Jordan Crawford, Daniel Orton, Terrico White, Greivis Vasquez, Willie Warren... those are the guys I've seen in that general range that I want no part of... short of that, I'll talk myself into it...
  • John Wall is going #1....
  • If I was Philly, I'd take Favors unless I was sure I could move Iguodala... the contract is too immense, and I don't think Turner and Iggy are good compliments of each other... they strike me as similar and maybe that's why...
  • If Minnesota ends up with Cousins, I will laugh...
  • This is a draft in which I believe the drop-off is after the top 5 (Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, Wesley Johnson), but I think Monroe is in a class by himself at 6.... translation? I don't want the 7th pick, cough, Detroit...
  • Above all... I can't wait...
To the other pressing matters of the day...
  • Landon Donovan scored in the 91st minute to take the US from out of the knockout round completely to outright winning their group... one of the biggest moments in US soccer history it seems like, and a really cool moment... I think it exploded Twitter...
  • There was a 1st-round Wimbledon match between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut suspended due to darkness... no big deal right? How about if I told you the score was 59-59 in the 5th set? 59 to 59.... in games... in tennis... that's the craziest thing I've ever heard and it's not even over 10+ hours in...
  • Phil Jackson reportedly leaning toward retirement... I can't begin to think who LA would hire to replace him... With that roster in place, you can't afford to miss...
Baseball...
  • Pitching Line of the Day - Chris Carpenter (STL) - 8 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 7 Ks
  • Batting Line of the Day - Michael Young (TEX) - 3 for 4, HR, 4 RBI, 3 Runs
  • The Braves go down again thanks to 2 home runs by Carlos Quentin and some bad situational hitting... numerous "runner on 3rd less than 2 outs" situations that went unsuccessful (most memorably Martin Prado's strikeout on a pitch at his eyes)... First series loss in a long, long time... but still a half-game lead on NY going into today...
What to Watch for...
  • NBA Draft - 7:00 ESPN - Mentioned above... but always a fantastic night...
  • Braves/White Sox - 2:00 - SportSouth - Lowe/Floyd
  • World Cup - 10:00 AM (Paraguay/New Zealand on ESPN2, Slovakia/Italy on ESPN) and 2:30 PM (Cameroon/Netherlands on ESPN2, Denmark/Japan on ESPN)
Full breakdown tomorrow...

No comments: