Thursday, March 22, 2012

3/22: NFL Madness, Shaka Smart

Greetings all.. kind of a crazy day in the NFL...
  • Bounty-gate has been resolved with stiff penalties. The Saints have been hit with a full year suspension for Sean Payton, 8 games for GM Mickey Loomis, and two separate 2nd-round picks (one in 2012, one in 2013. Does this seem insane to me? Yes, it does, but I'm kind of relishing the thought, as a Falcons fan, of Drew Brees without Sean Payton all year. Oh, and Greg Williams is suspended INDEFINITELY, and may never coach again. Hello Roger Goodell!
  • Tim Tebow... is a New York Jet. He's on his way to NY with a 2012 7th rounder for a 4th and 6th round pick in April's draft. This is curious for me on a number of levels. There was one report that said Tebow could "pick" his destination between NYJ and Jacksonville, and I have no idea if that's true, but if it is and he picked NYJ, I'm at a loss. At any rate, I hate the move for the Jets because a) it undermines Sanchez immediately, b) it's going to be a bigger story than anything else (and that's saying something), and c) they just extended Sanchez. I'm furious that he isn't in Jacksonville.
  • VCU's Shaka Smart has reportedly rebuffed the advances of the University of Illinois. This one kind of surprises me because Illinois is a sleeping giant (think of all that Chicago recruiting) and surely they could've paid Smart somewhere in the stratosphere, but it seems like this is happening more and more with guys like Brad Stevens and Mark Few setting the path of staying at the mid-major.
  • Derek Fisher to the Thunder. I could write 200 words on this, or I could tell you that I like it for OKC because they don't need him to play more than 10 minutes a night, and their backup PG was Reggie Jackson. Done.
  • NBA Check - Ben Gordon went nuts last night. He had 40 points with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, and although he "only" finished with 45 points, he matched his own record for most threes made (nine) without a miss. When he goes off, he goes off. The Hawks edged the Cavs at home last night by 1 in overtime. I could tell you that Josh Smith had 32 points and 17 rebounds, or I could tell you that he shot 10 of 29 from the field, and that includes 1 of 8 on jump shots. This quote from Hoopinion's Bret LeGree on Thursday morning sums it up, "Once he can no longer rely on his athleticism to bail out his purposelessness, he'll have nothing." Anyway. Tim Duncan put up a game-high 21 points and 15 boards in San Antonio's 16-point win over Minnesota. I really, really liked what I saw from the Lakers with Ramon Sessions in the lineup last night. They dismantled Dallas on the road, and although it was clear to me that Pau Gasol was the best guy on the court (27 points on 13 of 16), Sessions seemed only semi-comfortable but still had 17 points and 9 dimes in 28 minutes. The Knicks got their most impressive yet under Mike Woodson when they edged the Sixers 82-79 last night. Amare had 21 and 9 to lead the way, but the defensive effort won that game. And finally, the Zombies absolutely decimated the Clippers 114-91 amidst rumors of Vinny Del Negro on the hot seat. Kevin Durant had 32 points (on 10 of 18) and 9 rebounds while Russ added 19. Basically, the Clips can't win when Blake Griffin has 7 points and CP3 shoots 3 of 12.

What to watch for on Thursday...

  • March Madness Returns! - I've put this in a post to come later in the day where I'll break down all four games. Come on, you know me.
  • NBA - Celtics @ Bucks - NBA-TV 8:00 - If you hate college hoops, this is an option, and I'm still riveted by the Ellis-Jennings pairing for comedy purposes.

Enjoy!

No comments: