- As the title suggests, buzzer-beaters ruled the day in hoops yesterday. Derrick Rose ice-colded a game-winner to knock off Milwaukee and cap a 30-point, 11-dime game for Chicago. Jordan Farmar knocked a wildly uncontested (somehow) three to beat the Clippers by one. Kyrie Irving converted a driving layup with about 4 ticks left to upset the Nuggets in Denver. And on the flip side, of course, Jannero Pargo's three went begging at the end of a brutal Hawks loss to the Heat. It was a wild night, and I wish I had more time to break it down line-by-line.
- In college, UConn secured the biggest win of the day in knocking off West Virginia in OT. The Huskies desperately needed another quality win for their tourney resume, and while they encounter Syracuse today in game that would assuredly get them in, they now have a chance to sneak in even without that win. Seton Hall dropped a 61-55 decision to Louisville to be placed squarely back on the bubble, and Montana won the Big Sky title in defeating Weber State by 19.
- I have to mention this or several my friends (Chris, Ryan, Nick) may come after me. Lionel Messi scored 5 goals in a Champions League game yesterday. He was apparently the first person to do that in that particular league, and 5 goals in "football" is absurd. Big-ups.
- Yu Darvish arrived with 2 scoreless innings for the Rangers yesterday, and looked good in doing so. There's still a ton of unknowns with any rookie hurler, much less one that most of us have never seen, but it was a good start for Rangers fans.
What to watch for on a crazy Thursday...
- NCAAB - UConn vs. #2 Syracuse - Noon ESPN - As mentioned above, this is huge for UConn, but Syracuse is better.
- NCAAB - Kansas State vs. #11 Baylor - 12:30 ESPN2 - Really good quarterfinal matchup in the Big 12, and while Baylor is better, K-State has beaten them, and the Bears are woefully inconsistent.
- NCAAB - #14 Georgetown vs. Cincy - 2:00 ESPN - Big East quarters... two quality teams... wash. rinse. repeat.
- NCAAB - Texas A&M vs. #3 Kansas - 2:30 Big 12 - A&M stinks, but Thomas Robinson doesn't.
- NCAAB - Oregon State vs. Washington - 3:00 FSN - Washington is the class of the Pac-12 IMO, but can lose at any time.
- NCAAB - UCLA vs. Arizona - 5:30 FSN - Two very, very interesting Pac-12 teams that could sneak into the finals with ease in that league.
- NCAAB - Minnesota vs. Northwestern - 5:30 ESPN2 - The fighting Bill Carmodys need this one for an at-large chance (first in history).
- NCAAB - Louisville vs. #9 Marquette - 7:00 ESPN - Marquette is a top-10 team, Louisville is unranked, but no one at all would be surprised if Louisville won this game.
- NBA - Magic @ Bulls - 8:00 TNT - Orlando is such an enigma that they could lose by 30 here or win by 10 and I wouldn't blink, but Derrick Rose will likely punish Jameer in this one.
- NCAAB - Stanford vs. Cal - 9:00 FSN - My favorite of the Pac-12 matchups. Underrated teams.
- NBA - Mavs @ Suns - 10:30 TNT - Nash and Dirk matching up is enough for me.
- NCAAB - Oregon vs. Colorado - 11:30 FSN - Late night hoops... Done and done.