Friday, September 5, 2008

9/5: Vandy, The Giants, Chad Ocho Cinco, and the Weekend Picks

An interesting football night last night....
  • Vandy takes down South Carolina at home....I'm leading with this because it's a bigger surprise than anything that could've happened in the NFL game...But yet, not a surprise? South Carolina does this all the time (both Pre- and Post-Spurrier) and it should be expected at this point...props to Vandy on a nice win for that program....
  • The Giants dismantle Washington.....sort of.....The Giants came out with guns blazing and really should have put this one completely out of reach, until they inexplicably got extremely conservative offensively....but that was my only complaint with them....The 'Skins on the other hand....were a trainwreck offensively....no tempo whatsoever, ridiculous time management practices from the Zorn/Campbell combo at both the end of the half and end of game....Down 2 scores and huddling with under 4 minutes? just a microcosm of what went down....Yes, I hear you...it's a new offense...but common football sense knows you gotta speed up the tempo down 2 scores late...and there was no urgency....On a side note, Washington kept rolling their protections to the point where Chris Cooley was singled up on Justin Tuck at least 5 or 6 times....laughter.....
  • Congrats to the Pro Basketball HOF inductees...including Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, Pat Riley, and Dickie V......
  • A semi-somber note....Daunte Culpepper retires...was always a big fan of his....that said, I think somebody in desperate need comes after him and he plays again...I think he's still better than half the guys (at least) on NFL rosters....
Now to the weekend....
  • Games that I have interest in: Miami/Florida, Oklahoma/Cincy, Michigan/Miami of Ohio (this one for me only), East Carolina/WVU, Georgia/Central Mich (and Dan LeFevour) and Oregon State/Penn State.....
  • I don't really see any "upsets" on the board this week....East Carolina/WVU is about as close as I get to picking one...but that'd be a bit cliche after last weekend for ECU....I do like Cincy to hang around with Oklahoma for a while...but I'll get to that in...
THE PICKS! YTD: 1-5 (.166)
  • Ohio U +33.5 @ Ohio State....This number is just too big..especially with Ohio State knowing what looms next week...I see a late garbage TD and a relatively close cover for Ohio U
  • Cincinnati +21.5 @ Oklahoma.....More of the same here...Cincy is a well-coached (I wanted Brian Kelly at Michigan), disciplined team that isn't afraid to play OU....and OU is notorious for slow starts popping out of nowhere...I'll bank on that here
  • Oregon State +15.5 @ Penn State....Yes, All 3 of my CFB picks are big dogs....but here's why...Penn State is a bit overrated in my estimation anyway, and they have 3 suspensions (including an impact DL) so I'm going to with the Pac-10 squad....
  • Cincinnati Bengals -1.5 @ Baltimore....My first NFL pick of the year....2 words: Joe Flacco....
  • Green Bay -2.5 vs. Minnesota.....This comes down to QB play again....I'll take Aaron Rodgers over whoever Minny puts out there....and I think the world is a bit too infatuated with the Vikes this year....Thinking Vegas weighs that a bit....
Have a great weekend...I'll put up some updates I believe

No comments: