Thursday, February 21, 2008

Crazy 11-player deal....

I mean....11 player deals are ridiculous in themselves....I'll try and break it down here
  • Cleveland Side: Theoretically dealing Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes, Cedric Simmons, Shannon Brown, Ira Newble and Donyell Marshall FOR Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West, Joe Smith, and a future #2.....Wow....alot of players......Okay, Let's break it down.....First, I think West helps immensely at point guard....they don't really have another option...2nd, Wally gives them a veteran scorer they definitely needed......They also rid themselves of Larry Hughes' Deal, Donyell Marshall's deal and the pu pu platter....that's where the positives end for me....I don't understand the need for Wallace on a team that already has Big Z and Varajao....What does Ben do that Varajeo doesn't do for half the price? I'm figuring that someone has to get buried on that front line and my guess is Joe Smith (because they just paid varajao).....In addition to Ben and Varajao doing the same thing....Ben has 2 more massively paid years on his deal and Varajao just signed a new one.......I don't hate the deal and I think this makes them slightly better on paper....but the logjam in the frontcourt kind of baffles me, and they traded one terrible contract (Hughes) for a BIGGER terrible contract in Wallace....No winners here...Interested to see if West plays alot (he should IMO) and if Wally becomes the 3rd option Lebron needs
  • Chicago Side: Theoretically trading Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, and Adrian Griffin for Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes, Ced Simmons and Shannon Brown.....Kudos for getting rid of Ben's contract when Joakim Noah does everything he can for 1/10th the price.....BUT they took back that ridiculous Hughes contract when he plays the same position as their #1 scorer (Gordon) and a young guy they really like (Sefolosha) so that doesn't really make sense to me....but Gooden should help them right away as a decent low-post scoring threat.....Honestly, I wouldn't let Hughes see the floor much after Deng comes back...but that's just me....Rest of the deal is a wash really.....Not in love with it for the Bulls at all...but I think they're better with trading the main parts for each other (Wallace for Gooden)
  • Seattle Side: Theoretically trading Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West for Ira Newble, Adrian Griffin, and Donyell Marshall....This is pretty much a straight salary dump for Seattle...They aren't playing West much anyway and this takes Wally's contract off their hands and lets them build around Durant/Green theoretically through free agency, etc. once the expiring deals (Newble and Griffin) come off this summer and Marshall's after next year...Like the Move for Them especially coupled with the expiring deals they just got from the Spurs (Barry and Elson)...they should have alot of cap room and they're gonna need it
Overall, Very interesting deal to me....Caveats and fixes for Chicago and Cleveland...I don't think this puts Cleveland ahead of Boston and Detroit by any stretch so it's kind of a wash for me....I've been picking Chicago for the playoffs lately and I'm sticking with that...but they're gonna need alot from Gooden and Deng (upon return) as well as consistency from Noah and Ty Thomas with Wallace being gone.....

No comments: