Friday, September 2, 2011

2011 NFL Preview: Part 2 - AFC South

Back again... this time with the AFC South...
  1. Houston Texans (9-7) - I'm planting the flag... as longtime readers may know, I'm consistently down on the Texans.. but I'm picking them here... Schaub/Foster/Johnson form a really nice triumvirate on offense, and that unit has consistently performed... it's the defense where I'm more confident than normal this year... the Johnathan Joseph signing was HUGE for them, and I'm really high on him as a #1 corner... add that to Mario Williams, a healthy Demeco Ryans, and high draft pick JJ Watt, and that's suddenly a talented unit... Now, as you see, I have them winning 9 games... and the fact that they're winning this division is an indication of the mediocrity of the division, but here we are...
  2. Indianapolis Colts (9-7) - This would be their worst year in a long, long time... I'd probably give them 10 or 11 wins if Peyton was healthy coming into the season, but with the uncertainty of his neck problem, it's kind of a gift to even give them 9... this is a team that relies SO heavily on Peyton's immense talent and without that certainty, it's difficult to gauge them... Reggie Wayne is still elite and I trust him, but outside of that on offense? Clark (coming off injury), Collie (huge injury risk), and Addai (ditto to Collie) can't be trusted... and oh yeah, the O-line could be a disaster... and that doesn't even get into the defense... Freeney returns to lead the D, but there is a lack of talent, and it doesn't even have the "if Bob Sanders stays healthy" corollary like usual... Kelvin Hayden is gone at CB (to Atlanta), and recent high draft picks (i.e. Jerry Hughes) haven't picked it up.... 9 wins is out of respect for Peyton...
  3. Tennessee Titans (8-8) - Are we sensing the mediocrity theme?... I'm actually higher on the Titans than most, and with the news (today actually), that Chris Johnson has signed and will report, that bumps them to 8-8... I actually LIKE Matt Hasselbeck... yes, he has some injury concerns and age, but he's steady, and he won't get you beat... add in CJ as the electrifying back, and the Kenny Britt factor (huge, huge upside), and that could be a decent offense... also, I really like Jared Cook... the North Gwinnett High school product came on late last year, and is an athletic, receiving tight end in the Gates mold... on defense, they were a wreck last year, which was really uncharacteristic of that organization, but they had some injuries and things got out of hand... I look for a resurgence on that side of the ball, and some competitive games in this division...
  4. Jacksonville Jaguars (6-10) - I just don't see it... David Garrard has never been a guy I've liked, and now with the distinct possibility that we'll see Blaine Gabbert? I'll pass on Jacksonville... MJD is a bit banged up, but still an elite back when he's in there so that's a plus, but the receiving corps is pretty bad (even losing Sims-Walker too) outside of Mercedes Lewis... the D should be better with the addition of Paul Posluszny, Clint Session, and Matt Roth, but "better than last year" doesn't make this a good defense... I think I see a 5-7 type start, the insertion of Gabbert, and the wheels coming off a bit...
Stay tuned for Part 3...

No comments: