Wednesday, September 7, 2011

2011 NFL Preview: Part 6 - NFC South

Toughest race to call for me...
  1. Atlanta Falcons (11-5) - 11 seems low for this division winner, but I can't find 12 for them or the Saints... I'm actually excited to see what Matt Ryan can do with 2 legitimate receivers, and the rave reviews about Julio Jones seem to be warranted from what I've seen (albeit limited)... the key for me offensively is the health and effectiveness of Michael Turner... I was record earlier in 2010 saying he looked a step slow, and while he turned it around production-wise, I'm not entirely convinced he's an elite back anymore... I expect more passing this year as a whole, but they'll still need an effective ground game... defensively, the addition of Ray Edwards should do wonders to help John Abraham and Babineaux up front, but the secondary is what will make the defense go... the nickelback job between Owens and Franks is the biggest question, but it wouldn't hurt to get Pro Bowl production (and health) from Dunta Robinson... I think this is the best roster in the division, and with that, I give them the slight nod...
  2. New Orleans (11-5) - Yeah, I found 11 here too... Drew Brees is the class of the position in this division until otherwise noted, and he has the most weapons (quantity-wise) in the Ingram/Thomas/Colston/Meachem/Moore 5-some... add in Jimmy Graham (who is a big time industry sleeper) and this should be the same explosive offense that we're accustomed to... the defense is where I scoff a bit... I don't see them getting any pass rush and the DBs aren't good enough to consistently hold up without that... on the Super Bowl team, they made their bones causing TOs and they'll need that again, but it's tough to generate without explosive play in the front 4...
  3. Tampa Bay Bucs (7-9) - Hmm... That seems low, yes?... I don't think so... the funny thing is, I think the Bucs could be BETTER in 2011 and finish with 7 wins... harder schedule, won't sneak up on anyone, and they were only +23 in point differential... I actually like Josh Freeman (was dead wrong on him coming out of the draft), but I'm not sold on Blount, and outside of Mike Williams, I'm not a believer in the other options (bleh, Kellen Winslow?)... They get Talib back at CB and that helps, but Ronde isn't getting any younger on the other side, and they're going to need 100% health on that side of the ball (namely from Talib and McCoy) because they inexplicably didn't spend any money in free agency... they'll be competitive, but I see a step back...
  4. Carolina Panthers (4-12) - I'm not a Cam believer in Year one... at all... and yet, I still think they can't be as bad as last year... they got NOTHING from the QB position last year, had banged up RBs all year including the loss of Deangelo for the year, and things snowballed... Cam will win a game at some point with his legs and playmaking this year, and that's better than what they had or what Clausen would've given them... the offense is bad... but the defense is... not awful!... Jon Beason, Thomas Davis, Charles Johnson... all nice players... and if they get respectable secondary play, that'll be a league-average unit... I'm trying here...
Stay tuned for the final 2 divisions...

No comments: