Tuesday, September 20, 2011

9/20: The Ship Be Sinking....

Greetings all... I'll go ahead and accredit the idea for the title of this post to my friend Ryan, who dropped the old Michael Ray Richardson quote on another friend of mine via Twitter... seems appropriate... anyway...
  • Leading with the Braves (as reference to the title)... I'm officially declaring my terror on this one... after Omar Infante shockingly lifted off against Craig Kimbrel in walk-off fashion AND the Cardinals beat the best pitcher alive last night to cut the lead to 2.5 games, I've reached this place... now, let me say this... gun to my head? I think the Braves hold on somehow, St. Louis pretty much needs to go 8-1 down the stretch IMO and I don't think they do it... that said, the overall issues are glaring at this point for when (really, if) the Braves make the postseason... the bullpen, which is the staple of the team btw, suddenly looks ordinary with Venters and Kimbrel looking human under massive workloads (thanks Fredi), and with the rotation unsettled to say the least, the pitching isn't the automatic that it used to be... cue the bats, right?... well, it's been a struggle of late (outside of a recent surge from Jason Heyward that somehow has been under-reported) and playoff baseball is terrifying at this point... but while we're here... it's going to be a long, long week...
Elsewhere... My apologies on the lack of a football wrap... let's hit the big, big stories (won't get to them all) from the weekend starting with Monday night since it's recent...
  • Giants 28, Rams 16 - this was a pretty wretched football game to be honest... no Steven Jackson hurt the Rams (namely because Cadillac isn't very good), but Eli and company made enough plays (and basically, didnt blow it)... and were the more balanced club...
  • Falcons/Eagles - Enough has been said/written about this... but gotta shout out Matt Ryan for making plays.. I don't see how you can crap on the guy when he throws 4 touchdowns... yes, bad 3rd quarter, but come on... and while we're here, the "Vick is injury prone" narrative... I do understand it, but the guy got a concussion, he didn't pull a hammy or anything... come on...
  • Oklahoma/Florida State - the #1 Sooners win on the road... that's a statement win for a program that lacked any big-time road success in recent years... and to do it with Landry Jones only going for 199 with 1 TD, 2 INT? Impressed...
  • Pats/Chargers - the other big NFL game... Tom Brady is basically better than everyone... that's the takeaway here I think... but seriously, the Pats offense is clicking, and if they get the run defense that they showed against SD, good luck...
  • Ravens/Titans - Forgive me while I pull something while patting myself on the back for picking the upset... that is all....
And a quick non-football rant...
  • Mariano Rivera is the all-time saves leader... hurray for setting a record that means absolutely nothing!... saves are irrelevant!... but that's no shot at Rivera, who is the best relief pitcher (saves or no saves) that I've ever seen...
Until later..

No comments: