Friday, September 16, 2011

Weekend Football Preview - Edition 2

Greetings all... one quick note before we preview since I need to hit on LSU/Miss State...
  • LSU's defense is filthy... they held the Bulldogs to just 6 points in front of a cowbell-laden crowd in Starkville, and you can just SEE the athletes on LSU's defense compared to everyone else's.. it's a different look... that said, there's still a ceiling there IMO because of Les Miles and Jarrett Lee, but the talent is seeping...
On to the college preview...
  • Oklahoma @ Florida State - 8:00 ABC - Game of the year so far... the #1 Sooners going on the road to FSU as the Noles try to avenge a 30-point loss from last year in Norman... I unequivocally think OU is the better team, but they've been pretty wretched on the road the last few years, and Doak Campbell should be rocking... I'm calling my shot and picking FSU and EJ Manuel here... he makes enough plays, and Landry Jones makes enough mistakes on the road that FSU wins a tight one in the 34-30 type range...
  • Ohio State @ Miami - 7:30 ESPN - This one certainly has the 2nd most fanfare coming into the week... both of these teams have experienced massive scandal that has decimated each roster... I think Ohio State is still the better team, and they get 3 suspended players back in this one... I'll pick the Bucks (sigh) because I don't trust the Miami offense to do anything but throw it to the wrong jersey...
  • Texas @ UCLA - 3:30 ABC - Remember when it was a big deal that UCLA ran Texas out of the building last year?.... Then Texas flew off the handle, and UCLA tanked... yeah... anyway, Texas is somehow favored again here on the road (despite doing really nothing to earn that distinction), and I, of course, like them in the game... the Texas offense is a bit of a mess at quarterback, but they still have a distinct talent edge AND some extra motivation from last year...
  • Michigan State @ Notre Dame - 3:30 NBC - The hits keep coming for the Irish... already 0-2 and playing their highest ranked opponent yet... I still like ND in this game because I think Michigan State is grossly overrated at #15, but moreso because Notre Dame's offense is legitimately explosive, and they have to have a game in here somewhere where they don't commit 4+ turnovers... right?...
  • Auburn @ Clemson - 12:00 SEC Network/Raycom - Ah, Clemson... the biggest underachievers in the country... I STILL don't believe in Auburn in the slightest, but it's tough to pick an underwhelming ACC team in this spot... so, of course, I'm doing it anyway, give me the Clemson squad in Death Valley... touch the rock... all of that...
To the NFL...
  • Chicago @ New Orleans - 1:00 FOX - Jay Cutler and the boys did enough in Week one to heighten expectations... I'm already enjoying the thought of them crashing back to earth after a double-digit loss to an angry New Orleans team...
  • Oakland @ Buffalo - 1:00 CBS - I can smell this game from here... but I like Buffalo at home, Oakland looked pretty inept (despite winning lol) in Week 1, and I almost trust Ryan Fitzpatrick...
  • Kansas City @ Detroit - 1:00 CBS - No one laid a bigger egg last week than Kansas City... and Detroit is still healthy at the time of this writing? No-brainer... It'll be a nice test for that new and improved Detroit run defense though...
  • Cleveland @ Indy - 1:00 CBS - No one on the planet will watch this game... but I like the Browns... I can't pick the Colts until I see something from Kerry Collins that doesn't inspire vomit-like symptoms... I'm so sorry Austin Collie...
  • Tampa @ Minnesota - 1:00 FOX - This is an interesting spot... Tampa is the better team, but Minnesota's got a legit home crowd, and Donovan CAN'T be as bad as last week (can he?... uh... can he?!?!?)... I'll take the Vikings..
  • Green Bay @ Carolina - 1:00 FOX - Ah, Cam Newton... you had a helluva debut... but welcome to the NFL against a top-flight defense... let the turnovers follow... the Packers roll...
  • Seattle @ Pittsburgh - 1:00 CBS - The team with the toughest game this week? Whoever had the joy of playing angry Pittsburgh at Heinz Field... when it's QB has a nickname like T-Jax... best of luck... I will now refrain from making a referee/super bowl joke for fear that Ryan may kill me in my sleep... moving on...
  • Baltimore @ Tennessee - 1:00 CBS - Upset special of the week... give me the Titans... and no, I have no reasoning...
  • Arizona @ Washington - 1:00 FOX - Kevin Kolb on the road... Until he does it once? Can't pick him.. and Rex Grossman looked pretty darn good last week for what it's worth...
  • Jacksonville @ NY Jets - 1:00 CBS - Someone named McCown playing on the road against the Jets defense... this is going to be an absolute blood-bath...
  • Dallas @ San Francisco - 4:00 FOX - I think I'm going to make it a point to never, ever back the NFC West team in a non-divisional game... especially when I picked Dallas to make the Super Bowl... come on Tony!...
  • Cincy @ Denver - 4:00 CBS - Worst game of the week for me... but I do want to see what the Denver defense can do against a bad, bad Bengals offense... Von Miller and Dumervil meeting at the QB... Oh, and more Tebow chants please..
  • San Diego @ New England - 4:00 CBS - Best game of the week... Tom Brady won't be going for 500+ in this one against the statistically best pass defense from a year ago, but I think he can still put up an efficient 300... the x-factor? Can a Pats pass D that allowed 400+ to Chad Henne do anything to slow down Phil Rivers?... I say no... shoot-out written all over it... 38-35 Pats...
  • Houston @ Miami - 4:00 CBS - I thought Miami played really well offensively on Monday... and lost by 2 touchdowns... that's not good... Houston's defense is improved, and they get Arian Foster back for this one... Give me the Texans (with some fear) on the road...
  • Philly @ Atlanta - 8:00 NBC - Mike Vick is coming... and the buzz is huge for this one in the city in which I reside... but let's stay on the field... I think it's really a matchup of Philly's DBs vs. Matt Ryan and company, and that scares me... I think Philly causes a couple TO's in this one, and unless Mike Vick implodes (this is in play btw), I think they get a close win... but that said, Mike will be jacked up for this one AND he has a putrid O-line... if there was ever a time for Ray Edwards to show up, this would be it... gun to my head, I like Philly in the game, but that pains me...
  • St. Louis @ NY Giants - 8:30 Monday ESPN - Sam Bradford is banged up but he'll go... that's more than I can say for his 2 best weapons in Jackson and Amendola... and that puts them behind the 8-ball immediately... even with Hakeem Nicks banged up, I still like the Giants here... just not enough talent around Bradford to take advantage of the battered Giants D... and Eli should be solid here...
Until later...

No comments: