Friday, September 9, 2011

Weekend Football Preview - Edition 1

Greetings everyone... because it's the first weekend that includes both college and NFL games, this is edition 1... let's break down the big games, first from the college ranks...
  • #12 South Carolina @ Georgia - 4:30 ESPN - Weird start time... anyway, this may be for Mark Richt's job reportedly (which is crazy IMO), and it's an extremely important game for both teams since it's a conference AND division game... I don't think I can pick against South Carolina because I just think they are the better team, but there's something to be said for desperation, and if there was ever a time for UGA, it's now... they'll need to gang up to stop Lattimore, but that makes me wary of a big game from Garcia/Jeffery...
  • #3 Alabama @ #23 Penn State - 3:30 ABC - The fact that Penn State is ranked may give you the illusion that this will be a competitive game... my money says it won't be... Alabama is the best team in the country, and they should have no trouble here... 2+ TD margin... one thing to watch, however, is how the 'Bama QB situation unfolds...
  • Notre Dame @ Michigan - 8:00 ESPN - I've been answering the question all week, but let's do it here... this is the first night game in the history of Michigan Stadium... why, you ask?... Well, because Michigan Stadium didn't have lights 12 months ago... okay then... onto the game, I think Michigan can absolutely score on the Irish, and I like the Wolverines in the game, but if Tommy Rees plays how he did in the 2nd half against USF for Notre Dame, it'll be a tight one... Anxious to see how the play-calling shapes against a real defense for the first time in the Al Borges/Brady Hoke era...
  • BYU @ #24 Texas - 7:00 ESPN2 - This is a game no one will talk about, but I find Texas very interesting... they fell off the cliff last year, and BYU is a real opponent, this will be a good gauge....
  • #16 Mississippi State @ Auburn - 12:30 SEC Network - Auburn looked really, really bad last week, and Miss State looked really, really good... the truth is probably in between, but I would've taken MSU even before seeing them both at the opposite sides of the spectrum last week... too much new blood for Auburn, and I think Chris Relf and company score at will on Saturday...
Pretty nice weekend, but in fairness... it's all about the NFL on opening week... let's go down the slate one by one...
  • Falcons @ Bears - 1:00 FOX - I like the Falcons in the game... it's not even that I feel great about a road opener for them, but I'm so anti-Bears this year that I can't pull the trigger on them... if the Falcons get pressure (paging Ray Edwards), I feel good about containing Cutler, and Mike Martz is known for abandoning the game-plan (or just making a crazy one) if things go wrong early... oh, and Matt Ryan explodes here a bit.. I see 40 pass attempts...
  • Bengals @ Browns - 1:00 CBS - Maybe the worst game of the weekend... I'll take the Browns at home because I like Colt McCoy more than Andy Dalton... yeah, that's pretty much all I'll give you here
  • Bills @ Chiefs - 1:00 CBS - Not a peep about the Chiefs in the preseason, which is semi-surprising since they won 10 games last year, but most assume they'll regress... I agree with that sentiment, but they start 1-0 here... can't back the Bills in Arrowhead... too much Jamaal Charles...
  • Eagles @ Rams - 1:00 FOX - Quietly awesome game here... I'm picking the Rams... there, I said it... Lot of hype for Philly, they go on the road to a pretty hostile place, and I think the Rams (and namely, Sam Bradford) play up to the challenge... For some reason, I'm seeing a Vick stinker here too, and the giant overreaction headlines the next day..
  • Lions @ Bucs - 1:00 FOX - This line moved almost 4 points toward the Lions in Vegas... translation? Nobody likes the Bucs, and everyone is high (probably too high) on Detroit... that scares me... Give me Josh Freeman playing at home, even though I'm not sold on Tampa this year, it's a lot to ask of Stafford and company to go on the road and beat a legit opponent out of the gate...
  • Titans @ Jags - 1:00 CBS - This game suddenly is a lot worse now that Luke McCown is involved... yikes... I'm really down on the Jags (pre-Garrard even, now it's worse), and with Hasselbeck healthy still (lol), I like the Titans a lot here...
  • Steelers @ Ravens - 1:00 CBS - Game of the day... Picking Pittsburgh despite my feelings about the Baltimore offense breaking out... I don't trust the Ravens defense like I used to, and Roethlisberger is armed with the weapons to put up high 20's on them... that'll be enough
  • Colts @ Texans - 1:00 CBS - Kerry Collins everybody!!!! (Translation: I like the Texans)
  • Panthers @ Cards - 4:15 FOX - This is the other contender for worst game of the day... but at least it has storylines surrounding Kevin Kolb and Cam Newton... I wouldn't wager YOUR money on the Panthers on the road...
  • Vikings @ Chargers - 4:15 FOX - Sneaky interesting game... I'm high on the Vikings, but the Chargers are kind of a gauntlet when they have it going... Norv can't afford another notorious slow start, so I like the Chargers, with some fear... too much Rivers...
  • Seahawks @ 49ers - 4:15 FOX - Tarvaris Jackson... Alex Smith... what could go wrong!??!?
  • Giants @ Redskins - 4:15 FOX - Give me Rex Grossman here... wow, I just said that... anyway, the Giants defense is so battered that I just couldn't back them on the road, even against Rex... cue the "can Washington make the playoffs?!!?" storylines...
  • Pats @ Dolphins - 7:00 Monday ESPN - First of the MNF double-header... I'm on record as loving the Pats (shocking I know)... but I could see Miami hanging around just long enough to get some fear going... It's time to show up Chad Henne... oh, and anytime there' s a battle of Michigan quarterbacks? I'm in..
  • Raiders @ Broncos - 10:15 Monday ESPN - Unfortunately for ESPN, half the eastern seaboard will be asleep by the 2nd quarter, because this game stinks... Give me Jason Campbell and the Raiders in a mild road upset... but I'm looking forward to watching Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil meet at the QB all night...
There it is... enjoy the full first football weekend!

No comments: