Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Auto Bids, Hansborough, Nellie, etc.

Pretty light sports day considering....


  • Watched all 3 auto-bid conference title games last night (I might be the only one)...I really like Western Kentucky....Everyone knows about Butler, but Western KY isn't a gimmick type of team from what I saw last night....not overly focused on 3-point shooting like Drake or fully perimeter-oriented like Butler....Western Kentucky matches up better with the likes of the big programs from an athletic floor standpoint....However, I don't know if this is a good thing....Teams that can beat you shooting the ball like Butler or Drake can beat teams just by shooting well even they are athletically out-gunned and this provides a significant hope of a tourney W or 2 b/c any day can be a good shooting day....a team like Western Kentucky needs a favorable matchup in order to win in the tournament b/c they matchup well on paper, but you have to figure they still would be slightly out-manned by the majority of bigger conference teams they'd see in the tournament....just a theory....I'll be rooting for them to prove me wrong

  • Tyler Hansborough wins Sporting News Player of the Year....no issue with it here....But really? We're talking about retiring his number before the conference tournament his junior year? Seems a bit outlandish to me....great college player though

  • 2 of the worst conference title games tonight....Big Sky and NEC....yikes.....I'd recommend the Major conference tourneys that begin today...all 4 Big East games on ESPN....from the "basketball mecca" of the Garden....

  • NBA Recap: Memphis is dreadful....and so is Utah...on the road....I've been picking the Bulls to rebound and make the playoffs for at least 2 months now....Seems like they are picking it up a bit....just hope they don't bounce my Hawks (the likely scenario)....The Lakers reclaim the #1 seed (for today) in the West on the same day that Andrew Bynum tests his knee....I find myself rooting for them...and I desperately want to see a Lakers/Spurs west finals....


  • Don Nelson re-ups for another year in Golden State.....the way he coaches/the athletes he inherited makes for the most entertaining brand of basketball in the league when they have it going.....Good to see Nellie back even though he's probably clinically insane (wouldn't you have to be to play 6'6-ish 2-guard Mickael Pietrus at CENTER?)

  • Larry Fitzgerald restructures for 4 years/40 million.....I read 2 different people (Mr. Shanoff included) say he was the best WR in the league....word? I've always considered myself a Fitzgerald supporter...but really? That's a bit strong for me

Go enjoy the madness.....

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I think they used the phrase "best in bad situation" for Fitz..way overlooked either way though...I watched IUPUI last night to see how many times throughout the game I could say what those letters stand for...I only got it 3x easily..and go Portland State!..you knew it was coming